Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times

Advertisements

Houston, Texas is where it's at. The Heights and Jersey Village are both friendly big city sections of town and Houston was voted the most accessable city for the disabled in 2008.
The weather is beautiful, food prices are cheap, homes are beautiful with lush landscaping and rentals are affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy eytcheson View Post
Houston, Texas is where it's at. The Heights and Jersey Village are both friendly big city sections of town and Houston was voted the most accessable city for the disabled in 2008.
The weather is beautiful, food prices are cheap, homes are beautiful with lush landscaping and rentals are affordable.
Welcome to our forum. I cant argue with anything you said. I agree with you all the way.........

Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy eytcheson View Post

have you not lived here during the summer yet? you must not have. it is hot and muggy and the air is nasty. rentals are affordable in the areas you speak about but look at the type of people that are moving there. my wife graduated from jersey village high school in the 90's and it was a middle class nice school. i went for a visit during school hours 3 years ago and saw almost nothing but thugs. go ahead and rip me for being negative....but that is just how it is.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 AM

52 posts, read 176,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
have you not lived here during the summer yet? you must not have. it is hot and muggy and the air is nasty. rentals are affordable in the areas you speak about but look at the type of people that are moving there. my wife graduated from jersey village high school in the 90's and it was a middle class nice school. i went for a visit during school hours 3 years ago and saw almost nothing but thugs. go ahead and rip me for being negative....but that is just how it is.
I know..... I grew up in Alief from the mid 70's to the early 80's. I loved growing up there. My family lived in Huntington Village. We had a community pool, home owners association, everything was new. I went to Olle Middle School over on Boone and Bissonet and then went to Alief Hastings High. It WAS great.

Boy you should see it now!!! It looks like a war zone there!! Kids at the schools look like thugs. It is sad to see this once quaint community turn into what it is now!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Huntington Village was getting thuggish in the 90s.

Otherwise booker_one speaks the truth about the summer weather & air here.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 AM

52 posts, read 176,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Huntington Village was getting thuggish in the 90s.

Otherwise booker_one speaks the truth about the summer weather & air here.
I grew up in the Houston area and lived here for 38 years. I then moved to SO-CAL and lived in a beach city. The weather in CA was great. When we moved back to Texas last year, thank goodness it was in the winter. It allowed me to slowly migrate back to the horrid humidity and heat in the summer!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Houston is a very affordable big city, and any big city has a few warts. Yes its hot and humid in the summer, but its mild in the winter. I look forward to moving back.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Alief, Jersey Village, Bammel/Westfield, Sharpstown.... who is next? All these places that used to be good areas with good schools not long ago, and then what happened?

Is it a result of no zoning, the school districts being inept, or something else? I know it can't be 100% because of no zoning, there are areas in other cities that do have zoning but are still in the same situation (case in point, Reagan High in Austin).

Maybe this is topic for a different/new thread...

Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Alief, Jersey Village, Bammel/Westfield, Sharpstown.... who is next?

Clear Lake?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:34 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Alief, Jersey Village, Bammel/Westfield, Sharpstown.... who is next? All these places that used to be good areas with good schools not long ago, and then what happened?

Is it a result of no zoning, the school districts being inept, or something else? I know it can't be 100% because of no zoning, there are areas in other cities that do have zoning but are still in the same situation (case in point, Reagan High in Austin).

Maybe this is topic for a different/new thread...
"I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you aren’t actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston