Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I live in between the loop and the belt and I get this all the time when dining with my inner looper friends (always inside the loop because they will not venture further than the Galleria) They make comments like living outside the loop is "not for them","would drive me insane","too superficial","too conservative","so much like Leave it to Beaver"....
They think living anywhere outside of it is a suburb and it isnt.
Greenspoint is outside of the loop. I wouldn't qualify that as a suburb, but I still wouldn't want to live there. It seems to me (and this is strictly an uninformed opinion) that the majority of the areas outside of the loop but not quite in the 'burbs are rundown. West Houston and the Gulf Freeway are two obvious exceptions to this, but most everywhere else seems pretty ratty. I'd be pretty curious to hear of any other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Greenspoint is outside of the loop. I wouldn't qualify that as a suburb, but I still wouldn't want to live there. It seems to me (and this is strictly an uninformed opinion) that the majority of the areas outside of the loop but not quite in the 'burbs are rundown. West Houston and the Gulf Freeway are two obvious exceptions to this, but most everywhere else seems pretty ratty. I'd be pretty curious to hear of any other places.
Well gulfgate is inside the loop and I wouldnt want to live there either. There are pockets of in between neighborhoods that are nice. Garden Oaks,Oak Forest,Idylwood but yeah for the most part.
I was just pointing out that inner loopers pour it on worse than outers and it may be possibly that they rarely venture out unless it is to go to the airport or the Galleria.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
The inner looper says: "I can't believe people pay that much to live so far out! The houses are all cookie cutter and the areas around it are nothing but ugly featureless strip centers and chain restaurants. I don't think I would have anything in common with the stepford wife environment and those people that look down their nose at anyone who isn't just like them. Just being out there gives me the creeps!"

The Suburbanite says: "I can't believe people pay that much just to live inside the loop! the houses are all old & small and the areas around there are run down, dirty and seedy looking. I don't think I would have anything in common or raise a family around those people that look down their nose at anyone who isn't just like them. Just being down their makes me feel unsafe!"

The inner looper says: "My friends just went a bought a new tract home in the suburbs. It's big and nice and all but has no personality and there is nothing to do out there. For that amount of money they could have fixed up a really cute bungalow and gotten a lot better appreciation and had something with some character."

The suburbanite says: "My friends just went a bought a new house inside the loop. It's real cute and nice and all, but has no yard to speak of and the schools there are terrible, I don't know what they will do if they have kids. Plus the house needs work. For that amount of money they could have gotten a mansion out here and actually had something with some room."

The suburbanite says: "The commute is really not bad at all, especially with the freeway improvements or using the EZ tag."

The inner looper says: "I don't know how people can stand to drive on freeways. What's an EZ tag?"

The inner looper says: "I love living here, but you know when we have kids I think we may have to pack up and move to the suburbs for the schools."

The suburbanite says: "I love living here, but once the kids get out of school I think we may downsize and get a place in town and ditch this commute."

Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM

381 posts, read 1,234,226 times
That is too funny modster. Gosh I feel lucky to live 2 blocks out of the inner loop, with a big back yard, nice sized NEW house in a quaint neighborhood with a good elementary school. I guess I break the norm!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Good one Modster. But you do have those die hard loopers that would live off spam and put their kids in private just to stay in the loop.

I have friends that are paying St. John's for three kids. They live in the fugliest, tiny rental, on a not so great street in Meyerland. They could no longer afford the RO rental and Meyerland was as far out as they could bare to go. Never once have they been tempted to move out...not even to Memorial.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 02-26-2009 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I heard it all the time in The Woodlands, Topaz. People wrinkled their noses when I mention I was moving back.
Like why would I do that? It's all ugly,dirty and crime infested, and poor people live there. ew ew ew This was on more than several occassions.
All of my Sugar Land family and friends love the Inner Loop...we are just priced out of the areas we like there.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
The inner looper says: "I love living here, but you know when we have kids I think we may have to pack up and move to the suburbs for the schools."

The suburbanite says: "I love living here, but once the kids get out of school I think we may downsize and get a place in town and ditch this commute."

LMAO!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
All of my Sugar Land family and friends love the Inner Loop...we are just priced out of the areas we like there.

Lol. I think most people feel that way. But that doesnt stop those weekend suburban tourist from coming on in! And yet the seem to claim that everything they need is within 10 mins. of their house.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
The inner looper says: "I can't believe people pay that much to live so far out! The houses are all cookie cutter and the areas around it are nothing but ugly featureless strip centers and chain restaurants. I don't think I would have anything in common with the stepford wife environment and those people that look down their nose at anyone who isn't just like them. Just being out there gives me the creeps!"

The Suburbanite says: "I can't believe people pay that much just to live inside the loop! the houses are all old & small and the areas around there are run down, dirty and seedy looking. I don't think I would have anything in common or raise a family around those people that look down their nose at anyone who isn't just like them. Just being down their makes me feel unsafe!"

The inner looper says: "My friends just went a bought a new tract home in the suburbs. It's big and nice and all but has no personality and there is nothing to do out there. For that amount of money they could have fixed up a really cute bungalow and gotten a lot better appreciation and had something with some character."

The suburbanite says: "My friends just went a bought a new house inside the loop. It's real cute and nice and all, but has no yard to speak of and the schools there are terrible, I don't know what they will do if they have kids. Plus the house needs work. For that amount of money they could have gotten a mansion out here and actually had something with some room."

The suburbanite says: "The commute is really not bad at all, especially with the freeway improvements or using the EZ tag."

The inner looper says: "I don't know how people can stand to drive on freeways. What's an EZ tag?"

wow great post;

the inner looper seems more like a young newly-wed while the suburbanite is a middle-aged familyman.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Live and let live.

too bad there arent enough people that feel that way. for example, the First colony housing association wouldnt let someone in our neighborhood arrange their flowers in a certain way!

The issue of gay marraige why cant people just live and let live as you say.(i dont mean to bring in a whole different argument just another example.)

The other day i wore a UH t-shirt that says "Ruck Fice" (you can guess what thats supposed to be). And i got a dirty look from this typical soccer mom, i just looked back like B**** what you going to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston