Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I would debate calling them cowboys...but its the thought and tradition that counts. It is alot of fun to watch and it looks like there might actually be decent weather for it this year. The traditiona has always been cold and rainy. It is supposed to be cooler tomorrow...guess we will see.
Thems fightin words! Some of them so called cowboys have been on their horses 8 hours a day for the past two weeks. If that isnt a cowboy I dont know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Thems fightin words! Some of them so called cowboys have been on their horses 8 hours a day for the past two weeks. If that isnt a cowboy I dont know what is.
mexicans

Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default No need to ruin this for out of towners....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
mexicans
I will be the first to admit that I post blunt, often harsh comments on controversial threads where there is actual debate, however, your post about "Mexicans" adds no value to this light hearted thread.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
Back to the topic, I don't have time or patience for the usual downers in this forum....

So where's the best place to park and check out the parade tomorrow with my kids?

Also what about the Katy FFA Rodeo...anybody know if that parade is worth anything? It's a lot closer to home for me...

Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
We went to the Katy Rodeo one year (the one at the high school, I think, if that's what you mean). It was great. A much better scale to enjoy with your kids. I recommend checking it out.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Depends on how you like crowds, and how old your kids are...

The Katy rodeo, as you might imagine, is small, no large crowds. It is the type of parade you would see on an old fashioned small town movie, little girls dressed up as cowgirls, riding on a flatbed throwing out candy.

The Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo parade is big, but you see many more floats, horses and horesmen performing tricks, marching bands, etc. If you have tots, they won't really care, so Katy would be good, plus you can exit quickly and don't have to stake out a spot prior to the parade.

Older kids will like the shows, bands, performances etc. of the big parade, plus the nice horses in the show. Katy's is over with rather soon, the Houston show lasts a couple of hours I think. You can park in the Katy High School parking lot. In downtown, you are on your own, and will most likely have to pay to park.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
I'm sorry to admit that I have yet to visit Memorial Park...I just did visit the website though and it appears to be huge. WHERE exactly in the park would one go to see the riders/horses who (I assume) stay there before the parade tomorrow? And as someone else asked, where do you park???
Thanks!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
I would just do a drive thru in the park if interested. From the loop take a right or left on picnic and it will circle you thru the park. To see the trail riders leave and go to the parade go to Allen Pkwy and watch from one of the bridges over Memorial.
For the parade park in the Wortham,Bayou Place,Alley theater garage or the meters. The parade starts at 10 am on Texas at Smith right on Travis to Bell then to Lousiana to City Hall.
You can find all Houston Rodeo info on HLSR.com

Hope you have a great time and it isnt too cold or windy!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Back to the topic, I don't have time or patience for the usual downers in this forum....

So where's the best place to park and check out the parade tomorrow with my kids?

Also what about the Katy FFA Rodeo...anybody know if that parade is worth anything? It's a lot closer to home for me...
Here is a link to the parade route: http://www.hlsr.com/et/downloads/2009RouteMapb.pdf (broken link)

I always liked getting a spot along Memorial myself.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Thanks, Westres. What I do depends on who I can snare to go with me....

Poltracker, are you talking about Saturday morning, being on Memorial to watch the riders GO to the parade, and not being at the parade route itself?
Which part of Memorial (e.g. cross street)? And what time is best to watch them go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston