Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,107,745 times

Advertisements

The OP probably made a decision back in 2/2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,410 times
I found this site looking up our builder,Kurk Homes, on line. We checked out Design Tec, Tilson, and Precision Homes before choosing Kurk Homes. My husband is an engineer, so we quickly eliminated Tilson and Precision Homes due to their construction techniques. Design Tec seemed to charge extra for everything they advertised as a benifit. The site preparation was a flat $15,000, where Kurk itemized each proceedure. In the end our site prep was under $10,000 with Kurk Homes. The building process went very smooth and everything was explained to us in a highly professional manner. This is a family run business and they obviously take pride in their homes. We have been in our home for over a year and we love it!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 9,385 times
Default Went with DTH

We looked at a few builders also, we decided on Design Tech Homes. They did what was promised, the inspection process took place on a regular basis. We love our finished home and have no compliants.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,350 times
Kurk Homes do not have their own business model, they have been copying Design Tech Homes. After studying both builders I see Kurk is just trying to stay in business and Design Tech Homes is building more homes and setting the standards.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,308 times
We built a Design Tech Home 2 years ago and we love it! We can't believe how low our electric bill is. They did not have a flat 15K cost for our site prep since most of it was already done. I did not like how Kurk Homes added the cost for septic and driveway even though we did not need it. My wife is a nurse at Texas Children's Hospital so she new the owner of Design Tech Homes dad, Dr Feigin http://www.texaschildrens.org/allabout/feiginbio.aspx We knew his son Mike would take care of us building our new home and would provide excellent warranty service (we haven't needed any so far) We are glad we chose Design Tech Homes for our builder.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 PM

294 posts, read 288,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene58 View Post
I did not like how Kurk Homes added the cost for septic and driveway even though we did not need it.
We are considering Kurk Homes and would appreciate any feedback.

That said, while they do include driveway and septic in their base price, if you don't need it they indicated they would give you a credit for it.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 9,138 times
Default Sticking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatih View Post
Kurk Homes do not have their own business model, they have been copying Design Tech Homes. After studying both builders I see Kurk is just trying to stay in business and Design Tech Homes is building more homes and setting the standards.
Hey now! I've got to stick up for our builder, Kurk homes. We built over two years ago and we still love home. I don't know what kind of "business model" they could be coping, but I know their service before, during, and after we moved in was fantastic! We still stay in touch occasionally, which is why I'm responding. I typically don't blog on these types of "blind" forums since you don't know who is making the comments. It could be the other guy taking cheap shots!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 18,026 times
Just Be Careful. KH has a wonderful sales pitch to get you hooked. The extras will cost you. You need to know what extras are and just because it is on your plans, does not mean it is included in their price. The 6" studs they brag about, You are paying for it in extra square footage. If it is $100.00 a square foot than you are paying an extra $15.00 per exterior linear foot. Do the math ! The upgrades, way overpriced! I could go on and on. Be Warned.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM

294 posts, read 288,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twostepdaddy View Post
Just Be Careful. KH has a wonderful sales pitch to get you hooked. The extras will cost you. You need to know what extras are and just because it is on your plans, does not mean it is included in their price. The 6" studs they brag about, You are paying for it in extra square footage. If it is $100.00 a square foot than you are paying an extra $15.00 per exterior linear foot. Do the math ! The upgrades, way overpriced! I could go on and on. Be Warned.
Not getting the point here. I mean, yeah, of course extras cost extra. That's why they are extra.

And, of course, if you have 6" studs then yes that is part of the square footage so the overall square footage with the same size rooms will be more than a house with 4" studs. And, of course that costs more. The issue is whether you value the 6" studs. If you don't, then it isn't worthwhile to pay for that. If you do, then it is.

As for whether extras are "overpriced" again it depends on what you want and what the alternatives are. If you find someone else who has a higher base price and extras cost less then it may end up as the same as someone with lower base price and higher extras. You just need to look at it and figure out the bottom line to make a good comparison. That isn't builder specific but is simply good sense.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 18,026 times
Default Defensive ?

We are now looking into another home being built possibly by Design Tech, when I found this site.
You asked for feedback from someone who has had Kurk Homes build their home. Yet become very defensive when it is given.
Your comment is a no brainer IF you know they are including the septic and you don't need it , they would remove it from the bid!
I thought this site are for those asking questions about which they do not know about.
There are so many details most people may not know about what is included and what problems and expenses they can avoid.
I will assume you know more than you are letting on, and not offer any additional insight or feedback.
For others reading and wanting to know more that might save them Headaches and Money.
A family owned business I have found often indicates no one will be accountable ( family always comes first )
gl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: