Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 62,480 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I'm new to the forum and have been searching around for information on these builders, but have found nothing. My Fiance and I are getting ready to build a home on property we have bought. We've looked around at many places now and these two builders have stand out to us. At this time we are leaning toward the Kurk Homes.

So does anyone own a home by either builder? I would love to hear the good the bad and the ugly if so.

Thank You In Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 21,310 times
I'd like to hear the good, bad and ugly on both builders as well. We, too have been impressed thus far with both. Please tell what you know or have experienced.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 21,201 times
Default Kurk Homes vs. Design Tech Homes

We talked with both companies (and others) and felt Kurk Homes was superior. Design Tech "nickeled and dimed" us to death and wanted to charge us twice what Kurk Homes charged us for the lot preparation. We have been in our Kurk home for a year and a half and love it!
All warranty items were handled promptly and we are still talking!!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 PM

9 posts, read 62,480 times
We decided to go with Kurk Homes. Right now it's looking like next week we start the land clearing. *fingers crossed* just waiting on the loan approval.

HBinsider we wanted 1 story 3 or 4 bedroom 2 bath. Around 2000sqf

skiking thank you so much for replying. That puts my mind at ease that they handled warranty items promptly. And i'm glad you love your home. That is how i want to feel when everything is done.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 21,151 times
KH has patterned a lot of what they do after DTH. DTH goes with a 20yr warranty...so does KH, etc. As far as structure goes, they build the same product. Very sound comparable to the production style homes built everywhere else. All builders are having problems right now and I think that you should find the best house for the best price. It doesn't matter what the warranty is if the builder is out of business.

The difference is the experience that the person who is building your has. KH has been in business for a while, but recently has had some turn over issues leaving them with the owners son running the business who doesn't have much experience at all. I don't know about their current superintendents, but I would check to see if they know what they are doing. After all, he will be the one building your house. That goes for any builder for that matter.

I see a lot of marketing from these companies, maybe that's why you have decided to just look at those two, but I would even talk to some of the smaller companies that don't spend a lot of money on advertising and instead put that money back into the houses they build.

Hope that helps...and good luck!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 21,120 times
Default Kurk Homes

Kurk Homes built our beautiful home 5 years ago. It was the neatest experience we have EVER had...we had never built a home before and it was seamless!
All of their personnel are knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful. During the constuction we visited the site daily. Mike, the owner, viewed some areas that were not up to his standards and made the subcontractors re-do them. They were considerate when explaining features we might be interested in, but did not try to sell us upgrades for the sake of selling upgrades. I have since had experience with Chris, Mike's son, and he has the background and knowledge needed and is the most polite young man I know. He, like his father, puts the customer first. Anthony, their construction manager has been there for four years. In addition, Mike is a very hands on owner and visits all his sites on a consistent basis.

We had minor issues after we moved in and they were handled the next day!!

We have shown our home to many potential Kurk Homes customers and have recommended Kurk to many people.

After 5 years in our home, it is still the loveliest, most well built house.
In case you didn't notice, we HIGHLY recommend Kurk Homes!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 20,986 times
Check out BBB of Houston on all your potential Builders

Old 06-20-2009, 12:31 AM

95 posts, read 438,200 times
I used to work with Chris at a local builder, and he is a very good guy. they had a good builder named Genaro, but i am not sure if he's still there

Old 04-14-2010, 01:30 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie001 View Post
Check out BBB of Houston on all your potential Builders
Just be careful when you use the BBB as 'most' of the claims filed are those that could have been handled in other ways, or parties that feel they were not properly compensated by a business and are not necessarily the determining factor to use or not use a particular business.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 18,977 times
Thumbs up We are very happy with Design Tech Homes

We built a Design Tech Home earlier this year and we love it. I did consider Kurk but for us the choice was easy to go with Design Tech. Their salesperson did not pressure us and our superintendant was very detailed oriented and communicated with us constantly. I have had several friends build homes and they say ours seems to be the best quality of any of theirs. Also all their homes rate high with Energy Star and they do a bunch of inspections that most builders aren't doing anymore which made us feel like they were being very thorough. From our experience, Design Tech is the better choice for price and quality and expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: