Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Central Market doesn't have the everyday shopping needs such as full selections of cleaners, soaps, frozen foods, hygiene products......ie : budget making items. It has a HUGE meat and fish section. A HUGE Bakery section. Bigger produce selections. A HUGE pre-made food area. Plus aisles of "gourmet" items.

HEB Plus has everything and the kitchen sink. The Bunker Hill Market- HEB is the closest one to Central Market that I've seen.It's seems to be a blend between the HEB PLUS and the Central Market. HEB did open markets up in The Woodlands and Villagio areas. But really, they are just an HEB.

The only "gourmet" or upscale grocery left in Houston is Rice Epicurian. RIP Jamails, I loved you so.I really love the one on Memorial. Even Central Market isn't "upscale." It's fantastic, but not upscale. I went the Hubbel & Hudson one in The Woodlands about a month ago.It's their attempt at Foofie Food. The place was PACKED, but the registers were bare. I think it was too exotic.

OMG Jamails! We had one of those in Kingwood eons ago.

I went with my MIL to the Vintage Market HEB and it's just like the Bunker Hill one, at least, as far as I could tell. Same size, layout, everything. I bet that's what they're putting in Katy. It's a good formula. I am now a regular at Bunker Hill, and I love it, but my only beef is it is TOO big and a bit convoluted, and I end up having to go back through to items that I couldn't find or were in weird places...for instance, juice boxes are not with juice bottles. That's a little odd if you ask me! I'm getting the hang of it though. I've noticed Randall's (BW 8 & Memorial) has taken a big hit, if I ever have to go for emergency stuff, I never have to wait in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 02:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I'm kinda a regular at the Randalls at the Beltway. It's just a good location for me. But it's not the best store for sure. It has an incredible location though .Randalls hasn't been the same since Safeway took it over. ICK. I wonder if the CityCentre will make it pick up its game. It's going to need a good grocery.

Anyone know what's going in the old LNT spot?

I agree about The Bunker Hill Market. I really have to have spare time to shop there. It's TOO big.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
I'll have to stop by the Bunker Hill Market sometime just for comparison purposes. I find the HEB Plus in Katy to be TOO big too...if I forgot something it is so tiring weaving back through everything to get back to the produce or bakery. I do like the prepared foods section a lot, as well as the cooking demos. I could really do without all the electronics and "gifts" and other junk like that.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default It's official now...

Okay, I was right about HEB. Here is the blog article... a new Walgreens will also be built... They also say the HEB will be one of the largest in the area. Whatever that means. I guess another super warehouse for food. I like the Central Market myself, working only a couple of miles from it, it is a nice place to go and have lunch, especially with the weather we've been having.

Katy Village on hold but Main Street moves forward | Katy News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 03-03-2009 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Update...

Here is an update on the new HEB for Katy off Pin Oak Road...

New grocery store coming at Katy Main Street | Ultimate Katy (http://www.ultimatekaty.com/2010/02/new-grocery-store-under-construction-katy-main-street - broken link)

Old 02-26-2010, 12:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Here is an update on the new HEB for Katy off Pin Oak Road...

New grocery store coming at Katy Main Street | Ultimate Katy (http://www.ultimatekaty.com/2010/02/new-grocery-store-under-construction-katy-main-street - broken link)
HEB should do more urban style stores; the only one I've seen is in Laredo,Tx.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:55 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,820 times
Will it be in the original Katy?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 AM

Default Yes and no...

It will be in Katy proper, but about 1.5 miles from "Downtown". HA!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 AM

293 posts, read 1,035,820 times
I see, thanks. I love going in to Katy. My g.mother lived there and I have wonderful memories. We used to go to the old drug store downtown with my father as kids. They had a soda fountain. YUM. Her church there still looks wonderful.

My g.mother is gone now, but I like to go there to shop when we can. I moved here this fall. I am in Cinco Ranch, but I love to go to "old" Katy.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Default Closed

Sadly, that drug store is gone, the building is still there. I remember the store, and the stools. I'ts been closed for a few years now, but I did not pay attention to when it closed exactly. Too bad, it was one of the only things left that made Katy feel like a small town. Katy now looks awful, no revitalization, no nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston