Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

From what I'm reading on this post about Houston (and most of Texas in general), the more I dive into it, the more breath-taken I am at the cities and state in general. I know that no state or place is perfect, but from what I'm gather about Houston (and also Austin in that case), it's almost everything I'm looking for:

-A strong and steadily growing job market
-A very affordable cost of living
-A lot of young college-grad professionals (in order to assure an active social and dating life)
-People who are genuinely friendly, laid-back, and believe in the live-and-let-live philosophy instead of being intentionally arrogant, overtly anal, and uber-pretentious
-Young college grads who are open to meeting new people based on personality and interests and not based on "who they grew up with," "inside connections," or their "political power"
-A christian and church-minded place where people don't waste their time shoving down the Bible in peoples' throats but use that energy to live by example of the Bible's lessons and commandments
-A more progressive and libertarian-minded lifestyle (people are accepting of different or at least are neutral/indifferent to a person's political affiliation, skin color, etc.)
-The women are beautiful in many forms, from the southern belle the Latina señorita and everything in between.
-A strong gridiron football culture (Friday Night H.S. Football, Saturday College Football, Sunday Professional Football...something I can definitely get used to)

Now I know not everyone in Houston and Texas aren't like this, but if there are some things that I misstated, some things that I should be aware of, or things I make sure to do before making the move, I welcome the comments.

And as for the humid weather and lack of mass transportation, I can handle those problems. I can (and plan to) get a car, and as for the weather...well if all of the things I gathered about Houston are true, lets just say everything has a price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Property Taxes! Texas runs a funny tax system that will wack (3% avg.) you base on what they think your home is worth, never mind the fact that you'll find civil services are still below average.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Great description !! I believe you hit on every subject except one. We no longer have a strong and growing job market. Without a doubt we remain stronger then the rest of the country. We are only in a recession while most of the country is in a depression.

Austin is nice too, Dallas is a dump. The only 2 things I find bad are the taxes and humidity. Being origionally from NJ the taxes here are dirt cheap. Having lived in Vegas for 10 years where summer temps sit in the 120s for 3 months it is cold here.

All the things you describe is perfect. Good luck in your move.

Coming from DC you will find Houston to be paradise in heaven.

Last edited by desertsun41; 03-02-2009 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
If you want reasons to not move to Houston, you are more likly to find them in the west coast forums. =p

Property taxes as mentioned above are high, but to an extent can be mitigated.

"A more progressive and libertarian-minded lifestyle"

I guess....

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 27,444 times
Default Thumbs up for Houston

I was surprised, after all the negative things I heard about Houston, how much I liked it. You can get a good job there without the rat-race mentality, the nightlife was great, and most people I encountered were genuinely friendly and relaxed. I also like the diversity...I'm a woman of color and don't like to go to places where all the latinos and blacks are down-and-out; Houston is definitely not like that.

Yes the humidity is bad but it adds some tropical lushness, and is really no worse than the Northeast where I grew up.

Good luck & I think you're making a great choice.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:24 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
If oil and NG prices bottom out then expect major unemployment in Houston and rapidly falling home values. People will tell you Houston has diversified since the 80s, and it has, but there is still going to be a major shock to the system here if prices collapse.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Houston's best days have passed. There are a lot of people here now. More people = more competition for jobs and resources + more traffic congestion. The oilman is no longer in the White House. Policies favorable to oil companies are being eradicated. The much touted health-care industry is a non-producing industry that thrives on the backs of tax payers (medicare, medicaid, etc.). NASA's budget is being cut. Throw in high property taxes (over 4% at some places) and a hurricane here and there and it won't look pretty.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
"it's almost everything I'm looking for:

-A very affordable cost of living - applies only to the suburbs if looking for a house. Condos and townhomes do cost less closer to town. Affordable houses in-town are challenging to find, unless you're willing to live in a transitional neighborhood (Houston has no zoning), or are willing to fix-up a home.

-A lot of young college-grad professionals (in order to assure an active social and dating life) - if you live in the city, not the suburbs.

-People who are genuinely friendly, laid-back, and believe in the live-and-let-live philosophy instead of being intentionally arrogant, overtly anal, and uber-pretentious - the Texas city to the north (LOL) is known to be more "pretentious" and image conscious. You can find individually pretentious people anywhere you live though. I think there is a general down-to-earth vibe here. If anything, people here are almost too aware of crime, and claim their neighborhood is better than someone else's based on crime stats (that type of "pretense"-don't think that is any big deal, just let it slide).

-Young college grads who are open to meeting new people based on personality and interests and not based on "who they grew up with," "inside connections," or their "political power"
True, just don't move to smaller Texas cities like the Beaumont/Port Arthur area, anywhere in East Texas and other smaller towns. Central Houston would be best.

-A christian and church-minded place where people don't waste their time shoving down the Bible in peoples' throats but use that energy to live by example of the Bible's lessons and commandments
- every church has different kinds of people, both types. They all learn to live with one another. It just takes time to find those who share your values. Just be patient, you'll find the right place eventually. Keep in mind, some churches give off more down-to-earth vibes than others. Some others give-off the pretentious vibe, fair or not, even when the individuals there are very nice people. Better not to pre-judge/paint with a broad brush and focus on individuals within.

-A more progressive and libertarian-minded lifestyle (people are accepting of different or at least are neutral/indifferent to a person's political affiliation, skin color, etc.)
True, some neighborhoods may be more homogenous in terms of politics (Tanglewood/West Houston-republican majority, Montrose - democrat majority). Inner loop Houston would be best (Montrose, Midtown, Bellaire for example).

-A strong gridiron football culture (Friday Night H.S. Football, Saturday College Football, Sunday Professional Football...something I can definitely get used to) I could be mistaken, but I think HS football is mostly supported by the neighborhoods surrounding them. The Houston area has several excellent high school football teams (championship caliber). The college and professional football teams here aren't exactly the best, but lots of folks support them even if they didn't go to school there. I have friends with Rice University football season tickets and they did not go to school there. Rice and University of Houston football have a friendly football rivalry. The Texans NFL team is mediocre and tickets pricey, but people still go and have tailgate parties before/during the games. NFL football locally is a source of frustration for fans.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Just try and convince me NOT to move to Houston!

Come visit in August

Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We are only in a recession while most of the country is in a depression.

...what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston