Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 AM

161 posts, read 725,401 times

Advertisements

Let me start by pointing out three things -

* I have never been to Galveston, so I do not know what Galveston was like before Hurrican Ike.
* I have seached the threads related to Galveston beach areas.
* I have visted the City of Galveston website.

Still, I could NOT find the specific info I was looking for and am really hoping someone can help me.

We (two families) from the DFW area are planning a "last minute" Spring Break Getaway. We plan to rent a condo/beach house/cottage for 4 days - Galveston on Mar 18 - 21st.

I have narrowed our choices to three different options - rentals at Pirates Beach, Jamaica Beach and at West Pointe. Have I missed any other obvious choices?

WHICH BEACH IS IN THE BEST CONDITION RIGHT NOW? I realize it'll be cool in terms of beach weather, but we have four kids (ages 9 to 15) who love beachcombing. And we want to be near water.

I appreciate any advice you have on these beach areas or any other advice you have on things to do / where to eat while in Galveston. Thanks.

Last edited by canuckmom; 03-05-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,237 times
Pointe West came out pretty good and it has miles of beachcombing. Pretty good fishing near the bridge to Freeport but dont swim there due to rip currents. Please be aware it is the furthest from Galveston proper. it will be 20 miles into visit the Strand,Schlitterbaun (which is heated)etc... Also the only restauraunts out there are Nates,Blue Water Grille (both in Jamaica) and Averey's which is in the Sea Isle Marina. The nearest store will be Seven Seas in Jamaica which is about 7 miles. Otherwise it is into Galveston.
Jamaica is still pretty rough having lost all of the dune systems. The destroyed houses are still sitting there destroyed and they are working on the dune restoration. I would have kids wear shoes when beachcombing in this area.
I have not been down to Pirates beach yet. So I do not know if they have many destroyed beach front homes. I would assume they are working on the beachfront and it may be better than Jamaica since the homes there were newer
Kids love the the submarine and battle ship at Sea Wolfe Park. The Strand is still pretty quiet but you can eat at a restaraunt there in the port and watch the cruise and other ships go in and out. some of the shops may be open. Gaidos is open ,it is the oldest retauraunt in Galveston, and on the Seawall. Rainforest cafe is there with all of the Landry expensive games and rides that kids love. The volcano erupts nightly. (not as great as Las Vegas)
We like Mosquito Cafe on Christopher Columbus (31st) and The original mexican across the street is good and also open.
Hope this helps and have a great time!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
Pirates Beach is about the same as Jamaica Beach. Many of the public accesses are still closed. The state park is still closed. Both Jamaica and Pirates beaches were sifted so they are safe for walking. Wading is good, but I would not recommend swimming right now as there is still alot of unrecovered debris in the water, though not as much on the west end as on the central and eastern portions of the island.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:36 PM

161 posts, read 725,401 times
Default Beaches in Galveston

westres1...thanks for the info...its exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

I'm sure for people who have spent a lot of time in Galveston (or lived there), it might be kinda sad to visit.....

However, it sounds like there will be more than enough for us to do for 3 to 4 days. We are looking forward to it.

Appreciate the reply.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,237 times
Thank you and please let us know if you had a good time

Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Pirates Beach is about the same as Jamaica Beach. Many of the public accesses are still closed. The state park is still closed. Both Jamaica and Pirates beaches were sifted so they are safe for walking. Wading is good, but I would not recommend swimming right now as there is still alot of unrecovered debris in the water, though not as much on the west end as on the central and eastern portions of the island.
I saw on the news a couple days ago that the north side of the state park will be reopening on weekends starting at the end of this month. There will be no camping yet but i believe they are starting the nature walks back up again. I also believe that they won't be charging fees at this time.

That is some positive news regarding the park!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 AM

874 posts, read 2,893,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I saw on the news a couple days ago that the north side of the state park will be reopening on weekends starting at the end of this month. There will be no camping yet but i believe they are starting the nature walks back up again. I also believe that they won't be charging fees at this time.

That is some positive news regarding the park!
Yes, they have started doing the weekend bird stuff and nature walks at the park. Here is a page with current info on the park Friends of Galveston Island State Park .

Old 03-07-2009, 03:43 PM

I will be down in Jamaica Beach tomorrow planting grass (wiped out during debris clean-up) and will give a report back on improvements. Glad to hear they are opening the north side of the state park. The facilities on the south side really took a beating.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
I've heard great feedback from friends who have stayed at "Pointe West" and at the "Beachtown" development.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM

Galveston was pretty crowded today, considering spring break is not upon just yet. Happy to report that most of the beaches have been sifted (ongoing in some spots) and the replenishment is also ongoing. Beach access is open completely on the west end now. Jamaica and Pirates Beaches are in fine fettle and most of the houses are looking good though repairs are still ongoing on many (including my friend's). Heard that the south side of the state park will probably not be open for at least 2 years. They are relocating the offices (which have been torn down) and all the electric/plumbing to the beach front camping area has been removed so it can be moved as well. The businesses along the Seawall looked busy. I did not make it down to the east end or the Strand today...too much work to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston