Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 42,444 times

Advertisements

hi,i was wondering if there is large asian-american communities in houston.(vietmanese,chinese,filipinos,thai,korean, japanese).Is there any clubs or bars you would recommend to meet asians.how is the night life?is it busy during the week?in which area of town is the most crowded.(i was in downtown few months ago and it was dead on saturday night so I am wondering if there is anything)
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,429,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph0111 View Post
hi,i was wondering if there is large asian-american communities in houston.(vietmanese,chinese,filipinos,thai,korean, japanese).Is there any clubs or bars you would recommend to meet asians.how is the night life?is it busy during the week?in which area of town is the most crowded.(i was in downtown few months ago and it was dead on saturday night so I am wondering if there is anything)
thanks
Well, there is a Asia/China Town in Houston around the Bellaire/Beltway 8 area. Of course there have been recent reports of increased crime there: Police to increase patrols in Houston's 'Asiatown' | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

As for suburbs/exurbs, I think Sugarland has one of the highest asian populations, somewhere around 35% of the residents.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,095,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Well, there is a Asia/China Town in Houston around the Bellaire/Beltway 8 area. Of course there have been recent reports of increased crime there: Police to increase patrols in Houston's 'Asiatown' | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

As for suburbs/exurbs, I think Sugarland has one of the highest asian populations, somewhere around 35% of the residents.
LOL

rph if you want to get into the asian scene, join Houston-Imports.com
you'll need to build up street cred

Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,463,847 times
rph011,

Last year, i went to a club downtown called Venue(?). It was pretty much Asian(over 90%). I used to go to Cashbox(Chinese/Cantonese karakoe on Bellaire inside strip center on right hand side once you pass the old Brown &Root) a few years ago and it has been open for a long time. There were quite a few shady characters, so be careful on who you hit on or the way you stare. It might be shutdown, but i doubt it. There is also a coffee bar with music on Boone Rd right before you get to Bellaire. It was a Vietnamese place called Cafe(?), but only was there a couple of times. I haven't been back there in a few years. There was also some Asian 'hangouts' on Wilcrest between Harwin and Bellaire. They are located in the strip centers. I'm not certain they're still in business or more likely than not ownership has changed. Also around Boone and Bellaire, there are a few billiard hangouts. Again, shady kinda patrons. Sorry that i can't remember exactly the names of these places since i had moved to the Sugarland area 4 yrs ago, so i don't come around that area or even Chinatown that much.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
JL

rph0111,
If you're downtown, you might check out Tropioca. I think they're still in business though i remember eating at Pho Saigon(next to Tropioca) a couple of months ago and it didn't appear that Tropioca was open(?) anymore.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM

564 posts, read 2,038,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
rph0111,
If you're downtown, you might check out Tropioca. I think they're still in business though i remember eating at Pho Saigon(next to Tropioca) a couple of months ago and it didn't appear that Tropioca was open(?) anymore.
Tropioca closed down a couple of months ago. Apparently, a lot of the businesses that open in that building have issues with the lease (at least, from what I've been told). They property owners have not been able to keep many of their commercial tenants for very long.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
Tropioca closed down a couple of months ago. Apparently, a lot of the businesses that open in that building have issues with the lease (at least, from what I've been told). They property owners have not been able to keep many of their commercial tenants for very long.
Does Pho Saigon own that little center?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston