Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,848,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Huh? It cost money to upgrade infrastructure when you live in a city like Houston. How do you suggest we pay for these upgrades?

Even if we built all rail, you would still have to pay to use it. How is this different than a toll road?
Every city needs to provide basic service to its residents. A highway/street system is one of it.

I don't think that I need to tell you what I pay in taxes, fines, fees, etc.

Of course you need to pay for a rail road. It needs gas and many people that operate it. I don't even consider it as basic service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Bingo! People have been predicting this for the last 10 years. The more people listen to Algore and this b.s. about global warming, the more pressure people will feel by the government to quit using their cars.

It will happen.

Global warming is reality. There's no question about that.

They don't have tolls cause they want us using our cars less often. They got tolls cause they are greedy and we let them rip us off.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,360,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Global warming is reality. There's no question about that.

They don't have tolls cause they want us using our cars less often. They got tolls cause they are greedy and we let them rip us off.
There are several questions about it. Global warming is a myth. Even Algore has stopped using the term "global warming" and is now calling it "climate change". It's bullsh*t.

Whoever "they" are--you can bet they're capitalizing on global warming suckers.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
There are several questions about it. Global warming is a myth. Even Algore has stopped using the term "global warming" and is now calling it "climate change". It's bullsh*t.

Whoever "they" are--you can bet they're capitalizing on global warming suckers.
Read up on greenhouse gases, what causes them/what they do.

But that's a different topic.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,093,598 times
Quote:
Every city needs to provide basic service to its residents. A highway/street system is one of it.

I don't think that I need to tell you what I pay in taxes, fines, fees, etc.

Of course you need to pay for a rail road. It needs gas and many people that operate it. I don't even consider it as basic service.
I dont see any difference between paying for a toll road and paying to ride a rail.

There's definitely a huge cost associated with living far out in Houston's suburbs. It cost a lot of money to move people from Katy to Houston for example. The Westpark Toll Road is a great idea to alleviate traffic in west houston. Don't want to pay a toll? Don't move so far out.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I dont see any difference between paying for a toll road and paying to ride a rail.

There's definitely a huge cost associated with living far out in Houston's suburbs. It cost a lot of money to move people from Katy to Houston for example. The Westpark Toll Road is a great idea to alleviate traffic in west houston. Don't want to pay a toll? Don't move so far out.

Sure. If that's what you suggest we will have 5 Million people living inside 610 soon.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,629,184 times
Generally speaking, tolls + a suburban house payments are cheaper than a house in a decent, family-friendly area inside 610. The main issue here is if you don't want to sit in the car, don't move so far out.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,133,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Generally speaking, tolls + a suburban house payments are cheaper than a house in a decent, family-friendly area inside 610. The main issue here is if you don't want to sit in the car, don't move so far out.
Very true, generally speaking...that's where the trade-off comes in.

Quote:
Sure. If that's what you suggest we will have 5 Million people living inside 610 soon.
Not really a bad idea, though it would probably drive up the rents. However, I think it would do increase city services, people would expect more, and the metro would be much more centralized.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:55 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,719,665 times
Quote:
I would love to see the evidence to back up this statement. I'm not disputing you but how did you come to this conclusion?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,629,184 times
Oh here we go-- Al Gore vs. Hannity again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston