Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
The short answer is that it isn't already funded by tax dollars. Again - think of tolls as a consumption tax. You use tollways, you pay for them. In California, freeways are the rule, but you pay higher taxes. In Texas, you pay for the amenities that you use. You don't pay 100%, but heavy users pay more. I happen to think it's a lot more ecologically-correct this way, and am surprised that a man-made global warming devotee would find it objectionable..
I'll just end this debate with this link TexasFreeway > Houston > Newsflash > Perry pushes fast track for widening Katy Freeway

"Though the Katy Freeway construction should proceed with or without the expanded range of highway funding set forth by Proposition 15, Perry said other projects around the state might benefit from the November ballot issue, which allows bond-financed construction by a "Texas Mobility Fund." "Under our current system of highway funding, when the state commits to build a stretch of road in a metropolitan area, funding is authorized slowly over a number of years," Perry said. "It's time we allow innovative financing for highways as a fiscally responsible way to build the transportation infrastructure we need more quickly." Perry also promoted Proposition 2, aimed at improving roads in border colonias."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
I don't care what you call it - climate change, global warming, whatever - it astounds me that people can't understand Carbon Dioxide is a factor in the global temperature of this planet. It's not the ONLY factor but people really need to stop listening to the right wing political crud coming out of talk radio.
All gases are a factor in the temperature of the planet. The point is that carbon dioxide is not a major factor, let alone the major factor. I think you need to stop listening to the New Agey* political crud coming out of the media, and actually look at the science. The problem, as I explained earlier, is that the science is non-existent. It's a bunch of cherry-picked data combined with preposterous assertions stated in a very confident tone of voice. Baghdad Bob comes to mind. When man-made global warming theorists can predict with accuracy 99 times out of 100 whether it will rain 30 days from any given day, I'll grant that what they do is science. Otherwise, they're just glorified statisticians with strong religious beliefs.

* I'm not going to dignify this noxious garbage by calling it left-wing - I respect left-wingers, who probably don't believe any of it, but are smart (and cynical) enough to use it as political cover for revenue grabs.

Last edited by Zhang Fei; 03-08-2009 at 10:24 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Here's a look into the future TexasFreeway > Houston > Future Freeway > Harris County Toll Road Authority Pooled Project

People need to make a stand, btw did you know that an overseas company may over see the Texas Corridor project? Although it's only going to have a different name LOL

Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 PM

78 posts, read 290,249 times
Quote:
All gases are a factor in the temperature of the planet.
No s**t Sherlock....the point is, which gas emissions do human being have control over and how much are these human emissions altering the climate?

Quote:
I think you need to stop listening to the New Agey* political crud coming out of the media, and actually look at the science. The problem, as I explained earlier, is that the science is non-existent. It's a bunch of cherry-picked data
Wow, you just contradicted yourself there.

First you say there is no science. Then you say the science is cherry picked. So which is it?

Quote:
I think you need to stop listening to the New Agey* political crud....

.... preposterous assertions ....

.....Baghdad Bob comes to mind.

.....When man-made global warming theorists can predict with accuracy 99 times out of 100 whether it will rain 30 days from any given day, I'll grant that what they do is science.
My god, you are ridiculous. So you wont believe any science (supporting global warming) until human beings are able to predict weather with 99% accuracy?!? That is so idiotic, its unbelievable.

Do you believe in Falun Gung by chance? Or maybe you are a scientolgist? It sure seems like it.

Last edited by xmod; 03-08-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod View Post

Do you believe in Falun Gung by chance? Or maybe you are a scientolgist? It sure seems like it.
Actually, I'm guessing you work for an Oil and/or Gas company. Nothing like covering your own a--. LOL.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Quote:
First you say there is no science. Then you say the science is cherry picked. So which is it?
Innumeracy and ignorance combined with high levels of self-confidence are a plague upon modern society. Data and science are different things. Take this hypothesis - that someone believes in the power of prayer because five sick people for whom his congregation prayed actually got better. He would be cherry picking his data if he ignored 5 other people who died.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Innumeracy and ignorance combined with high levels of self-confidence are a plague upon modern society. Data and science are different things. Take this hypothesis - that someone believes in the power of prayer because five sick people for whom his congregation prayed actually got better. He would be cherry picking his data if he ignored 5 other people who died.
Stop trying to cover your a-- with pretentious verbiage..... no one cares.

Btw, the example you gave is terrible. That's called the placebo effect. A person's state of mind DOES have a small effect on a person's immune system (not a huge effect but still has an effect).

Also, do you still stand by that statement about not believing global warming evidence until humans are able to predict the weather with 99% accuracy? I really want to know if you are that stupid.....

Oh, I forgot, you are just covering your a-- (b/c more alternative energy means your butt will be laid off..... LOL).

Last edited by xmod; 03-08-2009 at 11:45 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
No s**t Sherlock....the point is, which gas emissions do human being have control over and how much are these human emissions altering the climate?

Wow, you just contradicted yourself there.

My god, you are ridiculous. So you wont believe any science (supporting global warming) until human beings are able to predict weather with 99% accuracy?!? That is so idiotic, its unbelievable.

FYI, you release a green house gas when you exhale. So please stab yourself already and help save the planet.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
FYI, you release a green house gas when you exhale. So please stab yourself already and help save the planet.
Thats a really dumb thing to say.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Thats a really dumb thing to say.

It's true so help the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston