Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times

Advertisements

The office of Pam Holm sent me this email today

Yesterday City Council approved an ordinance to increase fees to pay rising costs for the City’s Combined Utility System - I voted against this measure. However, effective April 1 you will see a 5.09% rate increase to your water bill.

The City of Houston automatically increases water rates each year based on inflation, this year's increase would have been 3.3%. The additional 1.79% increase voted on by Council is forecasted by the Administration to yield $12 million if water usage remains the same. This additional revenue is not sufficient to improve delivery for the services in which it is intended - upgrades to wastewater infrastructure and restructuring lift stations. It also will not address or pay for the increased expense of purification chemicals and electricity for the system.

While I understand the importance of the Combined Utility System and the rising costs to operate, maintain and replace the infrastructure, a quick fix fee increase to taxpayers is not the solution. My "no" vote on this item is a statement to the City, that if it is to take more money from your pockets it should do so responsibly and only after justifying and explaining that charging our citizens more is the most appropriate and most effective means to accomplish the intended goals for the Combined Utility System.

Pam Holm
Council Member
District G
832-393-3007
districtg@cityofhouston.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston