Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:06 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times

Advertisements

I am at a complete loss...my grandparents have always paid top dollar for top of the line medical care. Their cardiologist's office is at Methodist, so I assumed his heart cath and angioplasty would be done either at Methodist or at least somewhere in the Med Center. So supposedly this University General Hospital is brand new, but so far I think it sucks. When I called looking for my grandfather, they had no record of him, and when I said he was having an angioplasty their reply was "that's strange, this is mainly a bariatric hospital". So that freaked me out. Then when I got there, there was no info desk, the security guard told me just to find the 4th floor nurses station. The place was utterly deserted, aside from multiple security gaurds. I think I counted five nurses TOTAL, one doctor looking person (but he never set foot in the ICU) and one other patient. After MUCH prompting I find out from the nurse they had to shock his heart three times during the procedure. Since it's Sat tomorrow I doubt I will even get to see his Doctor to probe further. Blech...somebody tell me something good about this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
All I know is it is supposed to be one of the new physician-owned hospitals. While it was known as the beginning as primiarly a bariatric hospital, I believe other docs are now using it. The physician owned hospitals are supposed to be private, more upscale and catering to the patients, it is for the ones who can afford it (such as the new Foundation Orthopaedic Hospital one 610 @ 59). I do know that one of the country's top endocrinologists works out of University General. People come from all over the U.S. just to see this guy so other docs are there in addition to bariatric. I have not personally been to the hospital or the clinics but just telling you what I do know.

So now that it is done, the important part is -- how is your grandfather doing - hopefully he is recovering well?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
It's supposed to be fancy-freakin'-schmancy. 5-star hotel-like. That's all I know. If my grandpa were having heart surgery, he'd be at Hermann, St. Luke's, or Methodist. Period. I can't imagine why they have him THERE! I am sorry you are having to deal with that sb!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Ok well, I feel a little better about the place now...I did some more online research and found out about the whole physician-owned thing, and that they apparently are having trouble getting some of the major insurance companies to partner with them. It IS fancy-schmancy as far as equipment, facilities and FOOD (crazy good food) but that doesn't make me feel better if he had needed emergency heart surgery overnight or something. Fortunately he didn't, and his cardiologist came in this morning and he was discharged already. I'm kind of stunned that they let him out already...he looks good but gosh, his heart stopped three times yesterday! The nursing staff were much better this morning than they were last night.

Anywho...he says Medicare usually picks up all except their 20% copay, but I still wouldn't want to see the bill from this place. Seriously, who cares if their is original art on the walls? Thanks for your comments though, Mom2Feebs and texas7...they are appreciated.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:31 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Thx for the update - glad to hear he has been released - I know that is a relief for you.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 19,325 times
I have looked at the doctors list for University General and these are some of the finest doctors in the Houston Medical Center. The fact that these doctors are associated with this hospital tells me all I need to know. The first class service just seems to be a bonus to me.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,654 times
Exclamation university general hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by demntx View Post
I have looked at the doctors list for University General and these are some of the finest doctors in the Houston Medical Center. The fact that these doctors are associated with this hospital tells me all I need to know. The first class service just seems to be a bonus to me.
I heard this hospital is going under. I had a friend that worked there who just left because 2 of their last paychecks bounced! That's crazy! I heard doctors are bailing too!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 19,325 times
Default Great Doctors - Great Staff - 1st Class

Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Methodist in TMC is always where my entire family is gone. That in combination with Dr. James E Muntz, it's 5-star all the way IMHO. Universtiy General is one facility he's working out of. Due to Obamacare, the best of the best are moving in that direction.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 AM

Muntz is his doctor...is he REALLY that good? Worth going all the way to the Med center for every stinkin' appointment? I know they want the best, but I wish they could just find somebody good at Memorial Hermann Memorial City or something closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston