Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

I've driven through Houston, but don't know it well enough.

I love the idea of 'no zoning'. So you could technically start a business from your house if you wanted? Is it also possible to have stores nearby your house that you can walk to and such?

I've never been a fan of zoning cities to death...where to get a coke/soda and rent a movie is a 'get in the car' event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
The virtues of no zoning depend upon who you talk to. If your goal is to have more walkable, pedestrian friendly environments then no, it has NOT produced that. If anything quite the opposite.

This is speaking in broad generalizations, but everything a big city should have is here, but it is spread out. Personally I blame the lack of zoning for allowing things to pop up everywhere, rather than concentrated in certain "zones" or "districts." Obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

As for being able to open a business at your house, depends. There is not zoning, however, individual developments have deed-restrictions. Land use covenants originally written into the deeds by the developer that regulate what you can do. Some older areas, like many parts of Montrose, Heights, or the northern parts of Riverside Terrace, all let these restrictions expire. In these areas it is more of a free-for-all. Houses are often torn down and replaced with 3 or 4 townhomes, businesses open up in homes, etc.

Older areas that still have restrictions are usually limited to single-family homes, no commercial, no hospital or clinic use, you can't raise poultry or drill for oil and a few odd old restrictions like that. Most of these are enforced by local civic clubs through either the city of Houston's legal department or private attorneys.

Newer developments have Home Owner Associations, (HOA), that have mandatory dues. Restrictions can go as far as regulating you must maintain your property to a certain standard, type of fencing you can put up, even colors you can paint your house in some circumstances.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
No zoning means you can have day care facilities next to tattoo parlors and luxury apartments next to junk yards. I can't think of any good reason for a city to have a no zoning policy, unless it is to avoid bad zoning laws. The ideal is good zoning laws...personally I like Sugar Land's zoning laws, although I know they aren't without controversy.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
No zoning means you can have day care facilities next to tattoo parlors and luxury apartments next to junk yards. I can't think of any good reason for a city to have a no zoning policy, unless it is to avoid bad zoning laws. The ideal is good zoning laws...personally I like Sugar Land's zoning laws, although I know they aren't without controversy.
ditto

Old 03-20-2009, 07:59 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Well if it wasn't for Houston's no zoning ways, there would be no Sugar Land.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
And yet, with our lack of zoning, we are the city least affected by the recession. Strong population growth, fewer jobs lost, dramatically less drop in home value than any other major city.

There are pros & cons. But reading the above posts, you would think we're lucky to have survived as a city. And zoning has been voted on several times, every ten years or so. And fails repeatedly. By a large margin.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Well if it wasn't for Houston's no zoning ways, there would be no Sugar Land.
How is that? I thought Sugar Land the city was the result of growth of the Imperial Sugar Company?

If you mean Sugar Land adopted zoning so as not to look like ugly parts of Houston, then yes, perhaps.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
No zoning laws makes Houston feel more "free" from government telling you what you can & can't do. It also makes for a very quirky, artsy city. Houston is the best kept secret in the country for artists.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:27 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No zoning laws makes Houston feel more "free" from government telling you what you can & can't do. .
yes, it's a place where you can set up a rental slum right next to a pre-school and not pay the water bill, not keep the place up to code, and maybe even have an apartment fire to top it off.
Don't worry, the city and the state will do nothing about it.
Judge decides local mobile home park is unsafe to live | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090320_mp_sewage-mobile-home-park.55eacead.html - broken link)

City of Houston shuts down Almeda Chateau complex in southeast Houston - 3/09/09 - Houston News - abc13.com

Houston News | Video On Demand | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas

Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
yes it is good for small business but it also makes Houston different. It has a strange vibe that other cities lack. you can have a 400,000 house next to a lot filled with old toilets or a mansion next to a crack house. It is weird but it is Houston. I voted for zoning in the 90's and I dont think it has been up since then. I want strip clubs in their own zip and a little more structure but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston