Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me of a good store that sells a wide variety of organic produce, organic dairy, organic packaged foods, and other organic foods, within a 20-25 minute radius from the Space Center?

Also, are there any good HEALTHY restaurants near the Space Center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 01:26 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Can anyone tell me of a good store that sells a wide variety of organic produce, organic dairy, organic packaged foods, and other organic foods, within a 20-25 minute radius from the Space Center?

Also, are there any good HEALTHY restaurants near the Space Center?
I think your radius is going to be more like 25-30 miles and the best choice will be Whole Foods Market.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I've been able to find a decent amount (not like Whole Foods by any means -- but fair when preparing meals) at the Randalls on Clear Lake City Blvd. & Space Center Blvd. -- you might give them a shot and see if they have what you need.

Mediterraneo Restaurant on Upper Bay Road across from the space center has a neat little grocery inside the restaurant selling packaged Mediterranean foods, condiments and cooking oils (not produce or meats) which is kind of nice if you cook with those items.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I think your radius is going to be more like 25-30 miles and the best choice will be Whole Foods Market.
How far is that time-wise....I'm guessing close to an hour? Are you talking Sugar Land?

Is there any store closer than that...not necessarily all organic, but that at least takes organic seriously?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I've been able to find a decent amount (not like Whole Foods by any means -- but fair when preparing meals) at the Randalls on Clear Lake City Blvd. & Space Center Blvd. -- you might give them a shot and see if they have what you need.

Mediterraneo Restaurant on Upper Bay Road across from the space center has a neat little grocery inside the restaurant selling packaged Mediterranean foods, condiments and cooking oils (not produce or meats) which is kind of nice if you cook with those items.
Thanks...hopefully Randalls is better than most groceries. Most just throw a couple heads of wilted lettuce, and some mushy apples out there, and claim to have an organic section.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
How far is that time-wise....I'm guessing close to an hour? Are you talking Sugar Land?

Is there any store closer than that...not necessarily all organic, but that at least takes organic seriously?
I was thinking the central Whole Foods Market locations would be closer to the Space Center than Sugar Land would be.

When we were thinking of moving to Clear Lake, we asked several residents about the best options for organic grocery stores in that area and they all chuckled and said, "Driving an hour."

Last edited by Topaz; 03-29-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks...hopefully Randalls is better than most groceries. Most just throw a couple heads of wilted lettuce, and some mushy apples out there, and claim to have an organic section.
Whenever I go this particular store usually has pretty good produce in the organic category. Like I said - it isn't a whole foods but you can certainly get enough for a decent meal.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I was thinking the central Whole Foods Market locations would be closer to the Space Center than Sugar Land would be.

When we were thinking of moving to Clear Lake, we asked several residents about the best options for organic grocery stores in that area and they all chuckled and said, "Driving an hour."
That's really quite sad, in a metropolitan area such as Houston. I've looked up the locations for the Whole Foods stores, and they all seem to be on the west side!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I always thought it was strange there isn't one of these stores in Clear Lake. The region seems to be a perfect fit for one. I guess there isn't much room left & no vacant buildings big enough to hold one. If you ask me, that overpriced Randalls mentioned here would be better off as a Whole Foods Market. Anyway on the weekend, the central one on Kirby is about 25 minute drive if you live off Clear Lake Blvd. From Nassau Bay, probably closer to 40 minutes.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I always thought it was strange there isn't one of these stores in Clear Lake. The region seems to be a perfect fit for one. I guess there isn't much room left & no vacant buildings big enough to hold one. If you ask me, that overpriced Randalls mentioned here would be better off as a Whole Foods Market. Anyway on the weekend, the central one on Kirby is about 25 minute drive if you live off Clear Lake Blvd. From Nassau Bay, probably closer to 40 minutes.
Yeah the Randalls is higher than the other stores and if you have a large family to feed, shopping elsewhere could save you lots of $$$. I shop there occasionally because I like the produce and meats better or because I want some organic produce and I like the ease of getting in and out without a million people and their kids in those grocery carts disguised as cars bumping into me and blocking the aisles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston