Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,416,042 times

Advertisements

Any portion of 77379 that is zoned to any high school OTHER than Klein Forest will be good for school districts.

Also, the Champions/Memorial Northwest area, up to Gleanloch, the Falls, Champion Woods, Spring Creek Oaks/Forest, and Windrose are all good neighborhoods with good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM

74 posts, read 178,973 times
Thanks Supermac! Fortunately, my children are grown and on their own but a school district rating certainly does speak of the neighborhood. I appreciate your input.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,416,042 times
Despite not having kids, school district is pretty important for resell in most cases. Anyways, those tend to be the nicer neigborhoods anyways.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Very good point. I'm hoping this will be my last move as it is such a hassle to uproot so I am trying to gather as much opinion/facts as possiblew. Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i guess i should have given more of an explanation. large houses are cheap for a reason....the surroundings. go to youtube and search for Spring high schools.....Westfield is one of them. high schools are a good representation of what a community is like obviously. if you like what you see then buy a house in Spring...if not....go further north. I live in Montgomery....which is about 40 minutes northwest of Spring. It is far enough out to where the worthless thugs that have overtaken areas like Spring will not be there for a while.
This is really really sad. Perhaps you can tell me how/why crime can become so rampant? I mean, in more affluent neighborhoods, at least from my own experiences in other states, the taxes keep it safe, i.e. more police, deterrent of apartment houses, no lower income housing available. I mean, isn't that why people pay higher mortgages and taxes anyway? Security posts? Do they exist? I just hate to see such beautiful places abandoned because crime is uncontrollable.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM

799 posts, read 3,678,137 times
Hi Supermac! i haven't been on in a very long time but just wanted to let the OP know that I am in agreement with you.77379 is a great area, Memorial Northwest, Champion Forest and surrounding neighborhoods are very nice and lets not forget the upscale Vintage shopping minutes away. All Klein high schools are much sought afterwith the exception of Klein Forest.

I am from this area and my own children went to these schools. I had a honmeme in Champion Springs where my ex-husband lives along with one of my children, my 14 year old son who goes to Kleb and did not want to switch schools when I moved.My mom still lives in this area along with most of my friends.
You can get a great house in this area at a great price.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,792,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstnbnd View Post
This is really really sad. Perhaps you can tell me how/why crime can become so rampant? I mean, in more affluent neighborhoods, at least from my own experiences in other states, the taxes keep it safe, i.e. more police, deterrent of apartment houses, no lower income housing available. I mean, isn't that why people pay higher mortgages and taxes anyway? Security posts? Do they exist? I just hate to see such beautiful places abandoned because crime is uncontrollable.
At this point it really isn't bad. In fact far from it. When discussing the various opinions on Spring ISD, you are talking about the part of Spring south of Cypress Creek over to Stuebner-Airline Rd. Olde Oaks, Oak Creek, Northgate, Ponderosa, Westador.
These subdivisions are all still well maintained with many long term owners. Their deed restrictions are enforced, crime is still low. Directly across FM 1960 and at the eastern fringes of this region are the concentration of apartment complexes which can produce crime issues, but I think so far the subdivisions themselves are still okay.

With the typical suburban buyer turning up their nose at that swath of the area though, I don't know what the future will hold. It is unfortunate on so many levels and for a lot of different reasons, but that is whole other thread. In the mean time that area is dependent upon buyers of a certain mindset that are finding that end of Spring less and less appealing, so that doesn't bode well for its future.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:20 AM

265 posts, read 594,703 times
No one wants to live in Spring because the schools are terrible. Go to Realtor.com and do a general search. You'll find an enormous amount of homes for sale in areas zoned to Spring ISD. Some have been on the market for nearly two years. No one is buying. The mortgage crash hasn't helped.

Spring ISD needs to be dissolved and Olde Oaks, Oak Creek, Northgate, Ponderosa, and Westador need to be rezoned into Klein. Then things would improve overnight.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 AM

17 posts, read 106,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstnbnd View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...g-texas-2.html

Now this is interesting. Hadn't even thought of toxic waste in any soils or wells. Another question for realtors.
I'm just catching up, so this may have been covered. The wells are not a done deal; there is a huge fight going on about them. I'm against them and have signed the petitions and so forth. The wells aren't going in near this neighborhood though. It's much further west of Montgomery County. This will also affect ALL of Montgomery County, and The Woodlands has a lot of money and weight. Heck, they changed state law just to make sure that they can't be annexed by Houston like Kingwood was.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM

17 posts, read 106,002 times
What I don’t see is anyone acknowledging the fact that Spring isn’t a small area. It’s huge. There is Spring ISD, Klein ISD, Conroe ISD, and parts are Aldine ISD, Tomball ISD and Magnolia ISD. Some of Spring is Harris County and some is Montgomery County. Has anyone ever counted how many zip codes are in Spring? You can’t categorize Spring as bad or good without knowing what part of Spring you are talking about. Certainly, no one would call The Woodlands crime ridden. The Woodlands, who gets national acclaim and major awards for being one of the best communities in the country? The Woodlands deeply protects that reputation. The Woodlands is Spring.

We all have what we like and don’t like in a neighborhood. For example, I love the Montgomery area, but I wouldn’t live there. Too “small town” for me. My husband complains it lacks diversity, which it does (just check public records). I just don’t like the fact that it is a haul to get to shopping or the mall or the movie theater. What can I say? I’m a city girl at heart. However, Magnolia suits me just fine. Minutes from The Woodlands, but still acreage, and some good schools in those areas. But again, that depends on what part of Magnolia you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston