Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Mom2Feebs - keep us updated. I hope they catch them.]

I honestly think the Houston area has a major problem with letting developers build too many huge apartment complexes, often clumped together. Especially cheap rent apartments. This is the third thread, in probably as many weeks, this problem has been brought up (though some people still seem to be in denial about it). The Spring ISD thread, the Sugar Land thread, and now Westchase. It lowers the quality of life for everyone involved. I don't know how many more examples it will take until the Houston metro, and the people in denial, realize this.
I can see where you are coming from but where do you put these apartment complexes that house lower income people? Also these apartment complexes haven't always housed lower income people. For example, many of the apartment complexes in the Sharpstown and Fondren area were luxury apartment during the 70's and 80's because SW Houston was an area for young professionals and young families.

I think the problem is that Houston has the trait of having so much land; land that can be purchased in large swaths. I think you are generalizing apartments as low income. However, there are instances where the apartments are being built as low income. It sucks Sugar Land is getting some (I read the thread about it) but I think it is a little much to ask to somehow be insulated from low income.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
About this incident:

Those Apartments have represented the Boogie Man to West Houston Residents since they were built. They are no worse or better than they were in the 80's. Simply just don't drive there after dark. It's not hard to do. As to Westhiemer...I avoid the whole road,except for near the Galleria, at all costs.

I hate to poke fun, but seriously... you live in the 4th largest city in the country. Bad things happen everywhere and it's not like the area is Gunspoint or Fondren. It's actually pretty darn tame over there in those apartments compared to other "bad" areas in town.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,342 times
Quote:
Westchase is mostly a office space area with clusters of apartment complexes around it. Therefore, its going to have some low income demographics and higher crime. I think people need to keep in my mind this a letter from an upper middle class neighborhood in a generally middle class area so these things tend to be a little bit overblown in my opinion. I don't think there's any doubt that crime has gone up since the NOLA evacuees but to characterize the area as dangerous is a bit much. There's going to be violent crimes in all areas but Westchase isn't a place to be looking behind your back if you are keeping to commercial areas or office space areas.
I think you are right. I live close to that area and I certainly don't feel unsafe shopping or dining off of Westheimer. No matter where I go (considered "safe" or not), I am always careful to watch my surroundings. We live in Houston and crime happens everywhere. Houston in the fourth largest city in this country and I would certainly not want to hear that someone is lulled into a false sense of security because they live in a certain zip code. I would imagine that most people venture outside the confinds of their house and neighborhood.

My husband and I chuckle because my in-laws are "scared" of Houston and don't know how we live in such a place...funny thing...we have had no problems..they live in the country and have their house has been robbed/broken into three times so they installed a super fancy security system. Did I mention crime happens everywhere?

Where is the post about the robber (who had been shot by the police) who tried to break into Bentwood Elem. School (77024) yesterday?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:07 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Westchase is mostly a office space area with clusters of apartment complexes around it. Therefore, its going to have some low income demographics and higher crime. I think people need to keep in my mind this a letter from an upper middle class neighborhood in a generally middle class area so these things tend to be a little bit overblown in my opinion. I don't think there's any doubt that crime has gone up since the NOLA evacuees but to characterize the area as dangerous is a bit much. There's going to be violent crimes in all areas but Westchase isn't a place to be looking behind your back if you are keeping to commercial areas or office space areas.

Any letter from any woman that has her child with her and is robbed at gunpoint doesn't fit my definition of "overblown". What the he*l does income have to do with it? Sorry--but that was a stupid thing to say. I mean, seriously? Did you think before you typed that?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
Walnut Bend median prices rose 4% last year and Briargrove park 6%. That is pretty good for an area some of you are comparing to Greenspoint. Westchase is not anywhere near as bad as Greenspoint or Sharpstown. I have been to that Mister Carwash many times and Bistro Le Cep and Fudruckers. I will certainly be more vigilant in the area but I have hard of things like this at the HEB on Bunker Hill, The tjmaxx on Memorial etc... It is all over Houston and esp now that we are in a Recession. I wouldnt call Memorial out side the belt the next Greenspoint and it is less than two miles from Wilcrest and Westheimer.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM

381 posts, read 1,234,226 times
Didn't someone get shot yesterday at Terry hershey park....Have no idea how close this is - but Westchase makes me think Memorial.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownybaby View Post
Didn't someone get shot yesterday at Terry hershey park....Have no idea how close this is - but Westchase makes me think Memorial.
From what I understand he was a lone biker, near highway 6, after 8pm. WHile it's normally a very safe area, I wouldn't bike by myself that late at night. And things are starting to get a little weird around town with the economy.

Things like this happen at Memorial Park and all the way up north to The Woodlands parks.

Westchase and Western Memorial are about two miles apart. Westchase and the real Memorial Villages are about 4 miles apart.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Any letter from any woman that has her child with her and is robbed at gunpoint doesn't fit my definition of "overblown". What the he*l does income have to do with it? Sorry--but that was a stupid thing to say. I mean, seriously? Did you think before you typed that?
I was thinking the same exact thing!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Someone mentioned that these apartments are getting close to their end of lifecycle days....but I keep thinking about those apts on Briar Forest & Kirkwood. They have moved all their tenents out twice in the past 15 years to renovate. Then the fill em back up with the same type of tenents. Where's the bulldozer? Please!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownybaby View Post
I posted a link to that story in the OP. It was unfortunately in the 15200 block of Memorial, in between Dairy Ashford and Eldridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston