U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,222,822 times

Advertisements

Keep getting these emails regarding some robberies occuring in the clear lake area off the 45 feeder:

CASE # 09-00855,

On Monday, April 6, 2009 at approximately 6:40pm, officers were dispatched to the Hobby Lobby store located at 20091 IH 45 Freeway in reference to a report of a robbery. Upon arrival, it was determined that victim was robbed by two black females. The suspects approached the victim and demanded her purse, and when she refused the suspects assaulted her with using some type of wooden bat and fists. Suspect #1 is described as being 18-25 years of age, approximately 5’-0” to 5’-6”tall, weighing 115-120 lbs, with a “wild looking unbraided afro”. Suspect #2 is described as being in her 40’s, approximately 5’-6”, and weighing 125-135 lbs, also with a “wild looking unbraided afro”. The suspects then fled the scene in an older gold colored 4 door sedan.

These suspects match the description in two similar robberies which also occurred in Webster, on Wednesday, April 1st @ DSW.

Also, here's a news article: Police: Female robbers terrorizing women in Webster, Clear Lake area | CRIME | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/news/local/crime/stories/khou90407_mh_clear-lake-crime.b0b025e7.html - broken link)

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 04:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 25,157,213 times
It's getting a little nutty everywhere lately.
Signs of the economy

Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM

10,090 posts, read 40,361,544 times
Just finished reading this...got my pepper spray ready!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,821,523 times
girls, the best way to stay out of trouble is keeping a job. think about it. that and shopping less.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,395,042 times
Dang! That's nuts!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM

5,949 posts, read 14,222,151 times
Default Anyone else thinking what I am?...

I value the right to keep, and bear arms, though I don't have any, never have, and never had the desire to own. I always liked the option to be able to in case I ever had to, but a few weeks ago, I began to ponder getting a firearm, and went as far as to go to Academy and actually see/hold some pistols.

I was going to the gun show this past weekend, but prior commitments kept me from attending. We live out in the suburbs, and there have been some weird goings on here the last few months, and this is out of the ordinary because for the last seven years, we've never seen any thing going on here (far west Katy). But, some thugs from Brookshire thought it a good idea to come to our neighborhood, burglarize homes, and cars (they were caught, BTW).

It is ironic, I have kids, and I would hate for them to ever get a hold of them. And though I cannot fathom that happening (being good about safety, etc.), I know it does happen from time to time, no fault of the parents, kids just do things they are not supposed to do.

Anyway, at the same time, I want to be able to protect my family. That is the ironic thing. A baseball bat, crowbar, etc. is not for me. If my, or my wife, or kids life is threatened and I own a firearm, 'sorry, but the other person, or persons will be a few ounces heavier.

I also hear about all the crazy people using guns lately on the news, and I can see our President and his administration doing someting to mitigate the spread of firearms, and it does not have to be guns, it could be ammunition, as I've read about lately as well. There is a shortage of ammo, if you have not heard.

So, I am thinking hard about this, and also getting a license to carry a concealed weapon. I really hate to do this, but the economy and it's negative affects, the possiblity of more restrictions down the road make me think I should go out and do it.

'Sorry for the long post.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,222,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I value the right to keep, and bear arms...
My advice to you is get all of the training you possibly can before buying a gun. You need to know safety and how to use it. Carrying a gun is the easy part, being able to successfully use it when the need arises is what is tricky. The robberies mentioned above happen so fast that unless you know what you're doing a concealed weapon may do you more damage than good. Personally, I know if I were in that position I'd be so flustered I'd end up having my gun used on me. Percentage wise, I'm probably better off just giving up my wallet and cell phone.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 AM

912 posts, read 2,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Percentage wise, I'm probably better off just giving up my wallet and cell phone.
Then shoot them while they are distracted?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 AM

30 posts, read 141,108 times
I wonder where these two gems are from??

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 40,361,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I value the right to keep, and bear arms, though I don't have any, never have, and never had the desire to own. I always liked the option to be able to in case I ever had to, but a few weeks ago, I began to ponder getting a firearm, and went as far as to go to Academy and actually see/hold some pistols.

I was going to the gun show this past weekend, but prior commitments kept me from attending. We live out in the suburbs, and there have been some weird goings on here the last few months, and this is out of the ordinary because for the last seven years, we've never seen any thing going on here (far west Katy). But, some thugs from Brookshire thought it a good idea to come to our neighborhood, burglarize homes, and cars (they were caught, BTW).

It is ironic, I have kids, and I would hate for them to ever get a hold of them. And though I cannot fathom that happening (being good about safety, etc.), I know it does happen from time to time, no fault of the parents, kids just do things they are not supposed to do.

Anyway, at the same time, I want to be able to protect my family. That is the ironic thing. A baseball bat, crowbar, etc. is not for me. If my, or my wife, or kids life is threatened and I own a firearm, 'sorry, but the other person, or persons will be a few ounces heavier.

I also hear about all the crazy people using guns lately on the news, and I can see our President and his administration doing someting to mitigate the spread of firearms, and it does not have to be guns, it could be ammunition, as I've read about lately as well. There is a shortage of ammo, if you have not heard.

So, I am thinking hard about this, and also getting a license to carry a concealed weapon. I really hate to do this, but the economy and it's negative affects, the possiblity of more restrictions down the road make me think I should go out and do it.

'Sorry for the long post.
We are armed in the house...and DH has a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He is trying to convince me I should as well. If this crap keeps up, I guess I will...pepper spray is no match!
One never knows how you would react when faced with this type of danger. Many, many years ago, pre kids and when we were doing a 6 month stunt in Houston, I worked for a bank downtown. I was sitting at my desk opening mail with a letter opener when a guy came in, jumped the counter (these were the days when it was actually possible to do this) and came at me. I actually stabbed at him with the opener and caught him in the arm! Believe me, never in my wildest dreams did I think I was capable of that!!!! So, you just never know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>