Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Edited to add: I just realized there were two different robberies....Webster AND Clear Lake. But I don't think the reporting on either ever gave a block-number street address?

Channel 11 has the locations:

Police: Female robbers terrorizing women in Webster, Clear Lake area | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou90407_mh_clear-lake-crime.b0b025e7.html - broken link)

And they aren't reporting race either.

Maybe the robbers look like Adam Duritz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
That's quite the assumption on your part.
Don't be disingenuous.

"Wild-looking afro". You know good and well two old white women didn't come to mind.

Connect the dots. Doesn't take a genius.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Perhaps they were Israeli.

No... then they would have called it a jewfro instead of afro.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
It is ridiculous. I can't tell if the state of journalism is particularly bad in Houston, or if it has just gotten awful everywhere and I just notice it in Houston because I live here.

Here is what the Chronicle said about one of the robbers:

One of the women is described as being 18 to 25 years old, approximately 5 feet to 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighed around 120 pounds, according to a press release from the Webster Police Department. She had a "wild-looking, unbraided afro."
The fact that she had an afro wasn't enough clue to you that she was black?
The problem is the descriptions given by the victims are never very good descriptions to give out in the media.
I don't think it's a case of the media trying to pacify to any one group(s) of people.
Simply saying the suspect is a black male wearing a t-shirt and jeans around 5'6" to 6' covers about a 1/3 of the population in Houston.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
There are white people with afros. Re my Jeff Lynne comment. There are also Latinos/Latinas with afros as well. As I said, it is up to the reporters to tell what they know. If I saw a black man with an afro, I'd say a black man; if I saw someone from the Dominican Republic with an afro, I'd say a Latino. It makes all the difference.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post

Connect the dots. Doesn't take a genius.

Well, then, if that's the case, we don't have to worry about you getting it, now, do we?

Don't be so daft. Journalists have a responsibility to report all of the facts. That they are so PC and selective is ridiculous, as is your assumption I would think they were black. They could be anything. FWIW, it was reported on the news (KPRC) it was "wild hair" not a "wild afro"--that was elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
We didn't even get that much information from the news segment last night.

Quote:
Simply saying the suspect is a black male wearing a t-shirt and jeans around 5'6" to 6' covers about a 1/3 of the population in Houston.

Well, that's a lot better than saying the suspect is a male wearing a t-shirt and jeans, don't you think?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
There are white people with afros. Re my Jeff Lynne comment. There are also Latinos/Latinas with afros as well. As I said, it is up to the reporters to tell what they know. If I saw a black man with an afro, I'd say a black man; if I saw someone from the Dominican Republic with an afro, I'd say a Latino. It makes all the difference.
I realize other groups of people wear variations of afros, but use a little common sense here now.
When you hear the term "afro", you already know what group first comes to mind.
When I do hear reporters mention race in their descriptions, the descriptions are so general that it is not even helpful at all.
I'm sorry, but a description such as "short Hispanic male with dark hair" is not very helpful at all.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Well, that's a lot better than saying the suspect is a male wearing a t-shirt and jeans, don't you think?
Not really. Still a very vague description.
Unless the crime was committed in an area inhabited by people of only one race, neither description helps anyone.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I realize other groups of people wear variations of afros, but use a little common sense here now.
When you hear the term "afro", you already know what group first comes to mind.
When I do hear reporters mention race in their descriptions, the descriptions are so general that it is not even helpful at all.
I'm sorry, but a description such as "short Hispanic male with dark hair" is not very helpful at all.

You're missing the point, though... only one source has reported they had any kind of afro, and really, that's a stretch because they usually don't do even that. Broadcast news on KPRC purposely omitted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: