Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 PM

28 posts, read 63,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well you also have to remember now that cops are allowed to pull you over for expired insurance, they can now type your license plates number in and pull you over as well.
You say that like it's a bad thing. It saves the cops time and it helps keep honest people feel safer. The police should also be able to scan someone's license plate and find out if the car is registered. That way we could get rid of the stickers in the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 07:10 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have been here about 1.5 year, and have been hit by dumbass drivers twice already. A lot of drivers here shouldn't be driving. From what I have seen, the police is not doing enough to keep them off the road. Oh, and driving really fast on wet roads is not skill. It's just dumb and reckless.
Here's a thought;
Maybe you should start driving as stupid and careless as most all other Texans do ... you may have less accidents.

I've been all around these great United States, many times, and Texas tops the list in the extremely poor driving dept.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxgirl View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. It saves the cops time and it helps keep honest people feel safer. The police should also be able to scan someone's license plate and find out if the car is registered. That way we could get rid of the stickers in the window.
When did I say it was a bad thing?? It was just a response to someone who stated maybe you should drive the speed limit.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxgirl View Post
Very good point!
Well, as somebody already said here, it's not much of a good point if the officers don't obey the law themselves and go pretty much all the time over the speed limit.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
No, the smart money says to use directionals religiously and drive the speed limit whenever transporting drugs, guns, illegals, dead bodies, and other such contraband.
Listen man. I have an awesome memory. We recently had a thread that went a dozen pages because of YOU and your insistance and refusal to obey the law that says you must use directionals. That is why I picked on you in a joking way.

So what your post here tells us (while assuming we do not remember your old NO DIRECTIONALS thread) is that we need not use directionals unless we are transporting drugs, guns, dead bodies and other contraband.

Wow. I mean........just wow!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Listen man. I have an awesome memory. We recently had a thread that went a dozen pages because of YOU and your insistance and refusal to obey the law that says you must use directionals. That is why I picked on you in a joking way.
I guess I have an equally awesome memory and knew well you were referring to that thread, which you may wish to refer to and give one example where I told anyone not to use directionals. I said that I do use them whenever necessary to be safe. My point was and is simply that in most situations they are either used inappropriately or impart no meaningful and actionable information and are therefore unnecessary.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So what your post here tells us (while assuming we do not remember your old NO DIRECTIONALS thread) is that we need not use directionals unless we are transporting drugs, guns, dead bodies and other contraband.
And what that post actually says is that there are times where you do what you have to do, whether you like it or feel it is necessary. For example, you feel the speed limits are too low but if there is a cop right behind you I bet you'll abide by that speed limit.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I guess I have an equally awesome memory and knew well you were referring to that thread, which you may wish to refer to and give one example where I told anyone not to use directionals. I said that I do use them whenever necessary to be safe. My point was and is simply that in most situations they are either used inappropriately or impart no meaningful and actionable information and are therefore unnecessary.
Sorry but you tempted me and I'm bored wating for dinner to cook so I checked. You asked for one example. I found 13. So here are just 3:

//www.city-data.com/forum/houston/473251-whats-houston-drivers-3.html
post #32
That's because turn signals have no value. If they cut in front of you what difference does it make if their signal is blinking or not?

//www.city-data.com/forum/houston/473251-whats-houston-drivers-4.html
post #31
Turn signals cause more problems than they solve. There are very few situations where they impart any meaningful information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/houston/473251-whats-houston-drivers-7.html
post #61
What advanced driving tuition teaches is exactly what I am saying, that there is no need to signal

Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times
I got away with no front license plate for like 8 yrs until last year. It was DPS that pulled me over. HPD has pulled me over in the past for other violations, but never tacked on this violation. I paid my fine, but there is no way i am gonna put a front license plate on my Porsche. I wished that once he pulled me over and verified that i did not have an outstanding warrant, etc., he would've let me go. Anyone also notice DPS pulling over more vehicles during the past several years?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I got away with no front license plate for like 8 yrs until last year. It was DPS that pulled me over. HPD has pulled me over in the past for other violations, but never tacked on this violation. I paid my fine, but there is no way i am gonna put a front license plate on my Porsche. I wished that once he pulled me over and verified that i did not have an outstanding warrant, etc., he would've let me go. Anyone also notice DPS pulling over more vehicles during the past several years?
Past several years? No but I would say up and down 59 north of Houston especially in the New Caney area the past few months I have. Some days you can see the pattern. One day as you drive you will see nothing but black people pulled over. The next day it will be all truckers. The next day DPS might seem to be quite fond of very expensive cars. Then on another day you will see only long haired white men.

Anyone with an open mind and an untrusting attitude towards the donut
connoisseurs can see what's going on. Yet when a citizen is witnessing a real serious crime in progress and calls 911 they have the brass balls to tell you they are too busy giving out traffic citations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston