Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

I live in Katy proper, and have lived in the Katy area for over 20 years. However, I must say, Katy is UGLY! If you drive down I10, and take the spur to HWY90, the first impressions of Katy are terrible.

You see old, abandoned looking rice driers, a cement/drywall factory, and a chemical company. Along with that, you have the side shops along the old highway reminiscent of the 1950s, and not kept up all. aAso, the trashy strip centers squeezed between HWY90 and the railroad tracks.

So, what can Katy do? I'd be nice to suspend disbelief and hear what ideas people have on what can be done. I know some will see the old rice driers as nostalgic, part of Katy's heritage, but they are not in the same league as say the old Imperial Sugar building in Sugarland. Besides warehouses, what else could those towers be used for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I thought they were going to build some retail development over there.

I like Old Town Katy. Midway Processing and BBQ. yum! You have to keep parts of "old" Texas, otherwise it's all going to go the way of Shiney Stucco and chain stores. The Rice Storage is a landmark. Maybe they'll do something with them like San Antonio did in it's Retail/Shopping/Center deal.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
keep it like that. the urban look will only trigger the ghetto gangsta in every kid out there

Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
The rice dryers are essentially grain elevators. Other cities around the country have renovated and converted grain elevators into new uses. Portland Oregon, for example, is currently exploring options for converting a grain elevator into a district of shops and restaurants. It is the old Centennial Mills plant on the downtown Portland waterfront. Here's the plan and drawings. (warning, large .pdf)

http://www.centennialmills.org/asset...cmills-web.pdf

The difference between Katy and projects like the one in Portland and Minneapolis is that the other projects are redevelopment of prime inner-city waterfront land. The project in Portland is right on the waterfront at the edge of downtown so it is an absolutely prime location for development. Katy is a distant suburb where land scarcity is not an issue. So there probably aren't investors eager to do things with the industrial sites in Katy.

If I was in charge of Katy, I'd focus on improving the commercial strips like Mason Road. Put in nice sidewalks and landscaped traffic medians. Put in new signage codes. That sort of thing. It's much harder to repair the damage once the sprawl has happened. But it can be done. In places like Seattle I've seen ugly commercial strips like Mason Rd become redeveloped quite nicely.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Supposedly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I thought they were going to build some retail development over there.

I like Old Town Katy. Midway Processing and BBQ. yum! You have to keep parts of "old" Texas, otherwise it's all going to go the way of Shiney Stucco and chain stores. The Rice Storage is a landmark. Maybe they'll do something with them like San Antonio did in it's Retail/Shopping/Center deal.
Yes, on the south side of HWY90 there was supposed to be a large development, initially proposed by the Hines Group, but it was then sold to someone else, and as far as I can tell, it has stalled. The property is to be called 'The Village At Katy': The Village at Katy

Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Katy could use more trees.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
Transplant Katy to the North side of town so it can have lots of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston