U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 AM

9 posts, read 13,544 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a student and I'm moving out in about a month. I've picked out a couple of apartments in the Inner Loop area (which are all 13 minutes or closer to Houston's City College) so I can be closer to school.

Anyways, since I am moving by myself I do have a bit of concern for safety. Is Houston's growing crime rate something I should be worrying about if I live in the Inner Loop area? Are there some areas in the Inner Loop that I should be weary of? I'd rather just avoid certain areas to make sure I stay out of trouble.

Also, how is public transportation? I have a car, but I'd like to drive as little as possible to save money. I hear from some Houston-ites that public transportation is not very popular there.

Final question. Is it cheaper to just live in the outer loops and just drive to school? I'm trying to find an apartment that includes air conditioning in utilities so I can save a bit more money. And I mean, I figure I can save more money if I drive less. But if the apartments out of the Inner Loop are cheaper, I might just go there and commute.

Hope I don't come off as too stingy, but moving out in general is a big risk for me. But I'm positive I can make this work if I make sound decisions on where I live.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 28,950,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnl2189 View Post
Hi, I'm a student and I'm moving out in about a month. I've picked out a couple of apartments in the Inner Loop area (which are all 13 minutes or closer to Houston's City College) so I can be closer to school.
OK. Cool. You're talking Houston Community College main campus, right?

Quote:
Anyways, since I am moving by myself I do have a bit of concern for safety. Is Houston's growing crime rate something I should be worrying about if I live in the Inner Loop area? Are there some areas in the Inner Loop that I should be weary of? I'd rather just avoid certain areas to make sure I stay out of trouble.
Stay west of 288/59, to be general about it.

Quote:
Also, how is public transportation? I have a car, but I'd like to drive as little as possible to save money. I hear from some Houston-ites that public transportation is not very popular there.
If you're going to school at HCC in Midtown, living around there, downtown or even toward the Texas Medical Center along the light rail line would help you do it without the car. It can be done.

Quote:
Final question. Is it cheaper to just live in the outer loops and just drive to school? I'm trying to find an apartment that includes air conditioning in utilities so I can save a bit more money. And I mean, I figure I can save more money if I drive less. But if the apartments out of the Inner Loop are cheaper, I might just go there and commute.
Generally yes, but there are a lot of older, decayed complexes out there that have more crime than anything inside the loop. Some of the worst areas of the city generally are first-ring suburban areas outside 610 that got overdeveloped by these apartments.

If you were going to go without a car living close in, you might consider the cost savings of never having to buy gas, get oil changes, pay for registration, inspection or other maintenance etc. Oh, and insurance too. It adds up.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 AM

^
Hi, thanks for the speedy reply. The apartment that is most appealing to me is at 5920 Beverly Hill St. Houston, TX 77057.

I'm trying to figure if this is West enough? I've picked out a couple of apartment in some areas, but I'm not exactly sure which one is in a decent location. They are very close to HCC's Central Campus is the only thing I know about these places.

Likely I will use my car for the rare occasions (since it's nice to have one) and I figure just saving gas will give me much relief.

I also hear that the economic crisis has not hit Houston as hard as other cities. Has job finding been hard lately? I'm really willing to work wherever. I'm just working to support myself and to go to school until I can transfer elsewhere. Houston was my main decision from other cities (LA, NYC, Atlanta, Raleigh) because of the cheap living space plus Houston's great business colleges.

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

-edit
Oh, now I see. My location appears to be below the 59. I wonder if I can get away with living in a lower class area. I'm pretty sure if I don't bother anyone they won't bother me...I hope.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:29 AM

What's your range as far as rent goes?

When I said west of 59 I was thinking inside the loop. Those apartments off outer Westheimer and Richmond between 610 and Beltway 8 are a little bit dodgy. Then again, so is where I live (610/South Main) and I've been here for two years without any problems. Maybe it's luck, maybe because I don't have a Cadillac with chrome wheels, or maybe it's not quite as bad as it's made out to be in the news. I'm still trying to figure it out. Anyway, your car is probably more at risk than anything. Of course, if you lived close in and ditched the car, you wouldn't have very much chance of having your car broken into or stolen.

Also, 59 can get quite congested between the area you're looking at and Midtown, where the HCC main campus building is.

This building, in fact...

Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 AM

I'm assuming anywhere from 0-700 would be OK for me. I mean, I don't really mind living in a "bad neighborhood." I just want to know what I'm getting before I come in.

Is it possible to live in downtown Houston with that budget?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming anywhere from 0-700 would be OK for me. I mean, I don't really mind living in a "bad neighborhood." I just want to know what I'm getting before I come in.

Is it possible to live in downtown Houston with that budget?
There is a possibility that you might find an efficiency (not going to be big) with electricity included for a little more than $700, but at best you are on the outer fringe of affording downtown/midtown. $800 might give you some more options.

You might look toward the Texas Medical Center and Reliant Park, or basically my neck of the woods. There's nothing too exciting here and it's not the best place to walk around, but you're not any further than a ride on the bus or rail to downtown. There's a stop a couple blocks south of HCC too. Maybe you'll make a little more money coming out of school in a couple years and something better might be in your reach.

Don't get too excited about the supposed low cost of living. Most of the people who go on about it are coming from California and the Northeast where going anywhere in flyover territory is going to be a big drop as far as expenses go. All in all it's not bad for living in a large city, if one with some flaws. I think every place has those.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,268,176 times
OP,

You're gonna be hard pressed to find an apartment inside the loop in a decent area for $700/month or less.
And definitely not one with all bills included.
HCC has locations all around the city and in the suburbs.
Unless you are taking very specific classes only offered at the main campus you could always attend one of the other locations and live close to there.
You would be living in an area closer to your budget, close to school and possibly in a safer area.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM

I see. Thanks for the help so far guys. I'm very happy with my decision to move to Houston.

Also, how are the gun laws there? I want to be able to buy my first pistol. Anyone here know some ranges where I can learn to trigger discipline, maintenance, etc. etc.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Also, how are the gun laws there? I want to be able to buy my first pistol.
Erm, this is Texas.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

You don't even need a permit to keep one in the car as long as it's out of sight and you better be in the right if you pull it out. Like, if you're getting carjacked or something.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 PM

49 posts, read 115,999 times
Do something good for yourself and find another college and city to study, because Houston sux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston