Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:36 AM

50 posts, read 185,734 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of purchasing a David Weekley Home in Telfair. They have obviously given me the option of going through the builder's lender with some savings on closing costs - is that usually a good option? any insight? do they usually offer higher interest rates, i.e. what is the catch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
They prefer this because it is more likely that you will close on time. The best way to know if your getting a good deal is to get a quote from another bank or mortgage broker and compare the interest rate and fees to see if the savings are really a better deal or not.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Ive noticed a lot of builders are offering this. My son had 7 lenders to choose from, with some good incentives to go with one of them. There were about 3 that would have been considered anyway...my only concern is this includes home owners insurance for a year and Ive never heard of the company...gotta check them out. Dot

Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
We had the same offer when we bought our house, and we took advantage. Just make sure your loan is what you want it to be, but I talked with a few people, one a friend in the industry, and he said even he couldn't compete with what the builder's selected lender was offering.

It probably won't matter anyhow, since your loan will almost certainly be sold to one of the bigger mortgage companies. Ours was sold about one month after our closing date to citi mortgage, and we have had nothing but trouble with them, miss applied payments several times, letters for late payments that were sent to evidently many customers who in fact weren't late. Add on top of that customer services has been outsources to India, so when you call in to get a loan, you go to the US call center, when you call in to get help on your mortgage or because they screwed up, you go to the India call center where you may or may not get lucky enough to speak to someone who can understand you, or that you can understand.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:18 AM

182 posts, read 768,349 times
The mortgage company is really rather irrelevant. All the matters is the terms of the loan and the closing costs. I'd recommend going to Bankrate.com and finding out who's offering the best rates in the area and get a quote from two or three of the better ones. Then you can compare it to the builder's broker and if it's a better deal, go with it.

If it's your first mortgage, do yourself a favor and spend a couple hours some evening studying up on terms and stuff online. Plenty of information out there on all kinds of business and financial websites. Just google it. It's time well spent.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Compare the APR also versus just the interest rate. That is the true cost of the loan.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM

36 posts, read 115,795 times
I am building with Ryland in Telfair and we got pre approved for the mortgage and got our good faith estimate with our interest rate...and I have to say it is CRAP! We called the guy who we went through with our mortgage on our current house and he said he could totally beat the estimate Rylan gave us. The house is still being built, so as it gets closer to being done we are going to get more agressive about the financing.

Ryland has also been a bit ridiculous in my opinion...we have to prove with a bank statement and copies of canceled checks that our down payments, earnest money, etc. that we have paid came from our bank account. We also have to give them a written explanation of any inquiry on our credit report since we began the process of building this house, so as we have shopped around for mortgages I kept having to write to them to explain why there were new inquiries on our credit.

Before signing papers we asked our salesperson "what if we get a better deal through someone else" and she replied, "some of the incentives you're getting is based on going through our lender, but if you can show us the better deal then we'll match it." don't know if I believe her though, I have a feeling it will be a battle. But as long as we get the interest rate we want, I don't care who it's through!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
*Ryland has also been a bit ridiculous in my opinion...we have to prove with a bank statement and copies of canceled checks that our down payments, earnest money, etc. that we have paid came from our bank account. We also have to give them a written explanation of any inquiry on our credit report since we began the process of building this house, so as we have shopped around for mortgages I kept having to write to them to explain why there were new inquiries on our credit.*

Nessen, thats not just Ryland, thats how the game is played....

Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 PM

36 posts, read 115,795 times
Not when we bought the house we currently live in. Bank statements were fine, didn't need copies of canceled checks as well, or written statements explaining new inquiries on my credit report. Not to mention the fact that I am going to have prove this again before we close.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 PM

77 posts, read 469,160 times
Don't know if this helps but this is what one of my lenders told me....

"One thing you may want to mention, the new RESPA guidelines no longer allow for a builder to offer incentives to use their lender – they must offer for all lenders. It is now considered “steering”. This is a Federal rule with pretty steep fines to the builder if they are caught. It was supposed to go into effect in January, but was postponed until April 20. It is now in effect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: