Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM

298 posts, read 955,219 times

Advertisements

...before you purchased a home? I'm curious to find out from homebuyers the amount of time and looking that went in to the area you live in (or lived in) before you made the big decision.

I have lived what feels like a nomadic existence in Houston for the past decade or so and I'm ready to buy. The problem is that I have lived all over, but not in one area very long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
We rented an apt in the Meyerland area for about 6 mnths while my husband did a co-op at one of the refineries in the ship channel. Loved the area.

When he graduated (we lived in Austin while he was in school, but he co-oped and got a job in houston), we moved to Houston and rented an apt in the Medical Center (228/610 area) for 5 years. Loved the area. If we could afford it, I would live in West U.

During those years of renting I looked around Houston (pretty much keeping east of 45 on the north side, and 59 on the south side due to husband's work location).

Found many areas that were nice, and good locations to live. Liked Clear Lake, but felt it was too expensive for what you got. While living in the med center all those years I could see 288 getting worse by the year, and only to get worse with all the growth Pearland was (and is) experiencing. Felt Sugar Land was just too far for huband's commute.

We ended up choosing NE area - Atascocita. Love the area. Love the trees, you get a lot for your money. Commute is decent for both of us. If I had to choose again, I wouldnt change my mind.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,291,606 times
We rented wherever we worked for many years before buying. When we have been relocated say from DT to Galleria we moved to shorten commute. Ended up on West side which was great because work relocated offices to Memorial. We do not want long commutes and would rather move than live in a car.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
We rented an apt in the Meyerland area for about 6 mnths while my husband did a co-op at one of the refineries in the ship channel. Loved the area.

When he graduated (we lived in Austin while he was in school, but he co-oped and got a job in houston), we moved to Houston and rented an apt in the Medical Center (228/610 area) for 5 years. Loved the area. If we could afford it, I would live in West U.

During those years of renting I looked around Houston (pretty much keeping east of 45 on the north side, and 59 on the south side due to husband's work location).

Found many areas that were nice, and good locations to live. Liked Clear Lake, but felt it was too expensive for what you got. While living in the med center all those years I could see 288 getting worse by the year, and only to get worse with all the growth Pearland was (and is) experiencing. Felt Sugar Land was just too far for huband's commute.

We ended up choosing NE area - Atascocita. Love the area. Love the trees, you get a lot for your money. Commute is decent for both of us. If I had to choose again, I wouldnt change my mind.
I forgot to add that I work in the medical center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston