U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:52 PM

657 posts, read 2,365,785 times

Advertisements

I don't know who this group "Children at Risk" is that ranked them, but here's the list -

No. 1: High School for the Performing and Visual Arts

No. 2: YES College Preparatory

No. 3: Cinco Ranch High School

No. 4: The Debakey High School for Health Professions

No. 5: Memorial High Shool

No. 6: Clements High School

No. 7: James E. Taylor High School

No. 8: Friendswood High School

No. 9: Clear Lake High School

No. 10: Stephen F. Austin High School

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou070402_tnt_highschools.26078723.html (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,846,926 times
Two for Katy I.S.D. That should tell you something. Expect Seven Lakes to be in there once they get all four grades this year.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,004,337 times
What about Duelles?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 PM

321 posts, read 1,361,973 times
Default Qualifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I don't know who this group "Children at Risk" is that ranked them, but here's the list -

No. 1: High School for the Performing and Visual Arts

No. 2: YES College Preparatory

No. 3: Cinco Ranch High School

No. 4: The Debakey High School for Health Professions

No. 5: Memorial High Shool

No. 6: Clements High School

No. 7: James E. Taylor High School

No. 8: Friendswood High School

No. 9: Clear Lake High School

No. 10: Stephen F. Austin High School

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou070402_tnt_highschools.26078723.html (broken link)

It is best to check all highschools on their graduate scores and their college admissions.. Bellaire High School, Lamar High School, Reagan High School, St John Episcopal have produce great numbers of scholars who went to ivy league schools, many receiving top scholarships from top tier colleges all over the world. Just call these High Schools and get the scores and colleges the top 25% of the last two graduating class.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 28,771 times
Wheres Seven lakes High school?? i go there and it should be on there!! Its not even on the list!!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 PM

8,322 posts, read 28,254,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmuffin93 View Post
Wheres Seven lakes High school?? i go there and it should be on there!! Its not even on the list!!

Demerit points when someone shoots himself @ lunch in the courtyard.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM

2,639 posts, read 7,571,688 times
The three best schools, all in HISD, are Carnegie Vanguard, which caters to gifted and talented students, followed by DeBakey High School for Health Professions and the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. Students must apply to enroll in these highly competitive schools
Spring Branch’s Memorial High School (No. 4), Katy’s Cinco Ranch (No. 6) and Fort Bend’s Clements (No. 5) and Austin (No. 10).
At Alief ISD’s Kerr High School, ranked No. 9, students work at their own pace. Teachers typically hand out packets of assignments at the start of a week, set deadlines for completion and only lecture occasionally.
YES Prep was the lone charter school to land in the top 10, at No. 7.

I cut and pasted the top 10 for 09 from the Chronicle
The op is from 07

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM

9,600 posts, read 15,252,546 times
I don't really agree with these rankings. Schools such as Cinco Ranch and Clements are ranked so highly because they have a high percentage of children from higher income neighborhoods whose parents can afford to pay for private tutoring if their children struggle. I would argue one of the top ten high schools in the Houston area is Galena Park high. Considering the income level they are dealing with coupled with the amount of bilingual kids they are teaching that school really moves mountains. It would be very interesting to see what would happen if you swapped teachers between Galena Park and Clements.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM

124 posts, read 665,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmuffin93 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, but many area high schools were not on the list due to certain qualifications. Seven Lakes was not on the list because it was not rated this year due to it being a fairly new school. Basically it hasn't been around long enough to get rated. Also, when it first open up it only had 9 & 10 graders so it was not rated then due to not having 11th & 12 graders. One of the rating qualifications of Children At Risk is that a school has to have four consecutive freshman classes (7 Lakes does not).

The Houston Chronicle article in yesterday's paper explained somewhat about what criterias Children At Risk rate schools. Not being on their list doesn't mean that a particular school did not make the grade. It means that certain schools did not qualify or coincide with the Children At Risk's rating requirements. So, newly built schools or schools which don't meet their other criterias will never be rated. Seven Lakes should qualify for Children At Risk ratings after they have 4 consecutive years of freshman classes and now that they have 9-12 grade. Which probably means that they will qualify to be on next year's list. I predict that Seven Lakes will rank high once it's on the list.

Go to Children At Risk Website to read their methodology in greater detail. That way you will have a better understanding as to why certain schools were not rated and about the organizations' criterias. It is way too long for me to explain on a forum. http://www.childrenatrisk.org

Last edited by Rose31; 04-13-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 PM

4,063 posts, read 5,131,374 times
Interesting that the Katy area schools are part of the rankings but the Woodlands area schools are not.

Is Katy considered part ofthe Houston metro area and Woodlands not? By my reckoning, they are both about the same distance to central Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston