Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,328,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
I am a paper packrat too....as I go through masses of files...shredding most of it....I have found a use for all those shreds...I stuff them in plastic Safeway grocery bags, tie 'em up, and use them for packing filler! (Betcha Martha Stewart never thought of *that*... )

Fooey on Martha..._I_ did that too!! Great minds, eh? I figured it would make great filler and it helped a LOT. I packed almost everything myself (believe me, I wished I drank during those last days when I was running out of time) and nothing broke. I actually "rained" the stuff loose around the breakable things. As you know I'm sure, keeping items as immobile as possible really helps avoid breakage.

When you get here, if you ever have a hankering to "go thru masses of files" and shred them, I still have those packed boxes....

Last edited by catfancier; 06-08-2009 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 AM

684 posts, read 2,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Fooey on Martha..._I_ did that too!! Great minds, eh? I figured it would make great filler and it helped a LOT. I packed almost everything myself (believe me, I wished I drank during those last days when I was running out of time) and nothing broke. I actually "rained" the stuff loose around the breakable things. As you know I'm sure, keeping items as immobile as possible really helps avoid breakage.

When you get here, if you ever have a hankering to "go thru masses of files" and shred them, I still have those packed boxes....
Yep, catfancier, great minds *do* think alike...we figured it would be *free* packing for now, and we will recycle it on the *back half* when we are finally, blissfully, happily, unpacking in TX

...now where are our frinckin' buyers???????

ps...gee, I am SO tempted to have a shredding party with ya!!! <wink>

Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,943,214 times
years ago, i brought the shredder home from the office and invited the nieces and nephews over and let them HAVE AT IT..... went through QUITE a bit of stuff in a fairly short amount of time with 2 shredders and 4-5 kids working non-stop ..... of course, for them, it was FUN.....

**NOTE** no children's fingers were injured..... the slots on the shredders' intakes would only take about 3-4 pages at a time.... far too small for little fingers...... and i supervised closely......

Old 06-13-2009, 02:37 AM

So....here we are...still waiting...but at least our "real" realtor is back from vacation....which I guess is good??

My concern is that since he, being now out of the area (permanently) has effectively "subcontracted" our listing to one of his local co-agents...and while the agent is "okay"....I cannot help, as I told DH tonight, that we are now in effect the "ugly redheaded stepchild" of the listing world, because, as I cranked out the numbers....

If this secondary ("co-listing") agent sells OUR home,via a buyer's agent, and "fights" for it's already prediscounted value pricing (our original agent's advise)...then, assuming a sales price of $499,900 (remember we are in CA, and this is truly a bargain)..@ 1/2 of 1/2 of 6% commission the agent would make his share of a gross commission of $7498.50, and of course, in this economy, a 1/2 mil home is not as easy, no matter how perfect, as a pile of 300k homes..
that being said, if the same realtor (easily) sells a 300k home (currently selling like hotcakes) with no co-agent agreement on the front end, he gets his share of 6% commission of, assuming a "normal" buyer/seller split, a gross commission of $9000.00..and can do this over, and over, and over....

Now, since DH and I are both in sales, I can personally attest to the saying "a fast nickel beats a slow dime"....which makes me very concerned that what possible incentive does this secondary agent, except for his devotion to his coworking friendship, have to fight the fight for our home, when the pickin's are clearly easier and quicker to achieve in the current lower end market, alll of the above considered??

We have had several, undocumented "drive- buy" offers, that we think, if this were a "normal" seller agent situation, instead of the agent saying "the buyer's agent said they were looking for a $450k home " (so why did you show them THIS one, since the listing shows a firm, discounted price) OUR agent should have been making an attempt and taking the initiative, to at least TRY to negotiate a sale, vs our "co-lister" response to us of the buyers' agents response.....this guy was represented to us as a "pitbull"...I for one do not see the comparison.....

BTW, we wanted to list the home at $529k, to allow for negotiations to $500k, our (original) agent said no, no...if you want a reasonably quick sale at 499k, you need to list it at that.... we knew the answer to that then...more convinced of that now....

Our thoughts were that most buyers today "expect" a discount...so we are in effect selling to the wrong buyers...we want the $550k market...but, according to the agents, we have no idea.... I wish I had carte blanche to play with other peoples' $$$....FYI to realtors.....a $10000 price discount to you equals a commission discount of $600...to Mr/Mrs real money home seller, it is $9400.00..

We are now currently hoping that the summer selling season will at least defray some of these "bonehead" plans...these guys have been in the business forever..guess not all doctors graduated at the head of their class..just wish they were'nt using us for their lab experiments....

Is there something I am missing???

Thanks to all of you for listening (reading) me rant.....I needed the outlet, and DH is getting cranky (not with me, the situation, cuz we are both starting to realize we have been double tag-teamed)

Thoughts please????? Even if you do not have any advise, support would be really appreciated....

Sorry to lean on y'all so hard....just want to get out there so very badly!!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
I don't see how pricing it to sell at your number is hitting the wrong buyers by 50k? When I look for a good house, in a good location, for a good price I'm looking at a range differing around 200,000 between all the properties. Of course I'm ALWAYS looking lower than my target for something that is priced wrong or just needs a little love. And ALWAYS looking way higher to see how the upper end marketing is working and plotting my next move 5 years ahead.

Why do you need to stay up there while it sells? Stage it and go ahead and come to your completed house down here with all your personal things. Take the stress off yourself and leave the home that's one the market picture perfect.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,770,063 times
I agree with EA...the pricing strategy isn't the problem and you'd probably have an easier time waiting this out if you were already here. We left our home to move to another state and leaving it perfectly staged and ready for move-in was the reason it sold in a neighborhood full of homes for sale. It was expensive because our staging included a full house of staging furniture but in the long run, it was better than paying for two houses in two different places.

I know that real estate professionals all say the same thing that your Realtor advised about pricing. Something about the psychology of sales. I don't know where they get their data about effectiveness but they all learned the same approach somehow.

True, the Realtor doesn't have much incentive to sell your house. Can you sweeten the deal by offering something special to the buyers? I remember from real estate classes that sometimes the incentives that seem trivial to us make a difference to the buyers.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 AM

41 posts, read 176,983 times
Default Additional 1% to buyers agent

If your home is priced right and it's not a sh*^$hole then it will sell quick with an additional point to the buyers agent. This is advertised on the mls agent info, buyers and regular joe bloe's cannot see this info on any ad. The first 30 days is VERY NB for selling a home, urgency is big factor, usually come out of the first agent's meeting with guns firing. If you really want to be in Texas then it all really depends on YOU and YOU only. hOW BAD DO YOU WANT TO LEAVE?????????????? looks as if you want out real bad. Offer the additional point to buyers agent, you will have every body and their brother over there looking, even the buyers who first say no to the drive-by will end-up coming in to see the house, It's a number's game
Good luck
ps: we are almost ready to leave FL for either TX or NC, timing not perfect now but soon.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,328,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfalot View Post
The first 30 days is VERY NB for selling a home, urgency is big factor, usually come out of the first agent's meeting with guns firing. .

"NB" means..... ? Very New Business doesn't make sense...can't think of what else it is! Please define....thanks.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfalot View Post
If your home is priced right and it's not a sh*^$hole then it will sell quick with an additional point to the buyers agent. This is advertised on the mls agent info, buyers and regular joe bloe's cannot see this info on any ad. The first 30 days is VERY NB for selling a home, urgency is big factor, usually come out of the first agent's meeting with guns firing. If you really want to be in Texas then it all really depends on YOU and YOU only. hOW BAD DO YOU WANT TO LEAVE?????????????? looks as if you want out real bad. Offer the additional point to buyers agent, you will have every body and their brother over there looking, even the buyers who first say no to the drive-by will end-up coming in to see the house, It's a number's game
Good luck
ps: we are almost ready to leave FL for either TX or NC, timing not perfect now but soon.

.......I can assure you, Surfalot.......our home couldn't be any farther removed from Sh*^$hole -land......it is *perfect*

Old 07-15-2009, 05:52 AM

41 posts, read 176,983 times
NB - Latin for Very Important.
Miss Daisy, Im sure your home is perfect but the problem is, it may not be perfect to the buyer and right now people want bargains and brokers need to make money. This is the bottom line. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston