Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM

120 posts, read 715,047 times

Advertisements

Where ? How about the shipping/returns ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Everything else I ordered off the internet for up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Shipping is free on most sites. If it's not, then you ask. The bad economy can be your friend. I guess I was lucky, I never had to return anything. Which is lucky, because a lot of it was Pine Log and Aspen log beds that weighed a ton. The only pain in the rear was that I had to be home when the freight trucks came. But, I work within 2 miles, so I had them call and I zipped home to meet them.

If you see a piece of mass produced furniture you like, you can always find it on line...sometimes you can even find it cheaper.

However, once I collected all the furniture, then I did have to "ship it" to rural TX.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM

567 posts, read 1,621,650 times
I dread shopping for furniture because I can never find exactly what I want. I have an idea of the exact piece, but can't seem to find it. I've bought from Fingers, Ashley Furniture, Rooms to Go, Metropolitan Furniture, Eurway, and even Dillards (yes, I found good furniture there). There is no one specific place that really appeals to me. I just like to be left alone and look for myself. One thing that I found is that some of the discount small places over on SW side of town can get the models you find in bigger stores for alot cheaper. They all have same catalogs.

I hated the experience at Louis Shanks (in SW houston location). That sales woman would not leave me alone.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 AM

169 posts, read 798,927 times
We've done a lot of furniture shopping since we moved to Houston. We bought one sofa from Fingers and it has been decent, we actually bought a high end mattress set there too- and it has been fine as well. I don't know how well it (sofa) would hold up if it were used every day, but it is OK. We bought a sofa from Ashley for the kids TV room, and it was horrible. I didn't notice until I already had it in the house, but they cut a lot of corners in their manufacturing. THe box sits directly on the floor (instead of on legs), the backside of cushions are cheap broadcloth instead of the actual sofa fabric, so you couln't flip them, and the fabric snagged like crazy. I kept it for 2 months and sold it on Craigslist.

I've found the best furniture (weighing, style, price, quality) at Dillards. THe one in Sugarland has the smallest selection, the one at Memorial is huge in comparrison. I was able to purchase a gorgeous leather sofa, 2 arm chairs, ottoman, and 3 tables for what a decent leasther sofa alone cost in most stores. They routinely have 20-40% off weekends, so if you are flexible on how soon you get it, you can have one of their sales people call you when a sale is on.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM

202 posts, read 807,320 times
We bought a formal dining room table and chairs from Gallery and our last 2 living room sets from RTG. Both had fine service and fast delivery.

The sectional RTG couch from the south store has been great - the price was right and the quality is fine. We were looking for a particular size and color and RTG was one of the few places that had what we wanted.

Our last RTG sofa and love seat set bought in NC held up like a champ through multiple moves and lots of wear, spills and rowdy house guests. I was sad to see it go it was so comfortable! We still have the coffee and end tables and they are solid, heavy wood that is incredibly durable. We even broke a leg in one of the moves and they sent us a replacement free.

The table is fine as we rarely use it - now that I have been shopping more for furniture, I don't know that I made the best choice. We were in a rush and needed it for a Thanksgiving meal so I didn't shop around much. I don't think the finish on it is as durable as it should be since it is something we plan to keep for a long time. We also paid for a stain resistant treatment for the chairs that may have been a waste of money.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
We have done a LOT of furniture shopping and buying since we moved to Houston. Visited RTG twice but just were so unimpressed with the quality...everything just LOOKS so cheap. We bought our dining set at Roomstore after visiting about 10 places. Had to send a couple of chairs back right away due to manufacturing defects but they were good about it. They delivered that set the MORNING that Hurricane Ike hit. That kind of impressed me. We also bought a coffee/end table set at Star furniture and I really liked that store. They weren't great on delivery because it was out of stock and I couldn't get a firm delivery timeframe, but they did a good job bringing it in and setting it up. Also we kind of like Bel Furniture, bought a pub table and chairs from there and will probably be buying a leather armchair there soon.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 PM

21 posts, read 120,493 times
Thanks for all the input!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjaja View Post
I've found the best furniture (weighing, style, price, quality) at Dillards. THe one in Sugarland has the smallest selection, the one at Memorial is huge in comparrison. I was able to purchase a gorgeous leather sofa, 2 arm chairs, ottoman, and 3 tables for what a decent leasther sofa alone cost in most stores. They routinely have 20-40% off weekends, so if you are flexible on how soon you get it, you can have one of their sales people call you when a sale is on.

My experience exactly with Dillard's. (I bought at West Oaks Mall; agree that the Sugarland store is much smaller by comparison. Haven't been to Memorial.) I got a Natuzzi sofa and chair for about what the sofa would have been -- I got the floor models and also on sale. A very good deal for very nice furniture. I have friends who could afford Shanks et al but also found some of their furniture at Dillard's.

I did like some of Rooms to Go stuff when I went to their new Stafford store nearly a year ago, but I agree the aggressive salesfolk are off-putting!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Ive had two experiences with RTG in the Woodlands, and both were good. They just had a big sale and my son put a bedroom set on layaway since he doesnt need it till his home is finished being built.

I do know that anything Dillards has onsale right now is an additional 30% off, so finding a sale item would be a good deal. Ofcourse, the Woodlands Mall Dillards does not have funiture.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 AM

614 posts, read 1,237,090 times
Has anyone noticed (or is just me) that Rooms to GO seems to have the exact type of furniture as Roomstore but with a little higher price tag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston