U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 PM

101 posts, read 458,222 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some insight about 77023 area? This is near Austin High School -- S. Lockwood/Leeland/Park Dr. are some street names to mention. The houses for sale are unique, victorian style single houses. How is this area? It seems quiet. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 PM

2,618 posts, read 8,411,656 times
I know 77023 well, there isn't anything Victorian over there, it is more arts & crafts and bungalow styles.

Right there in the triangle bordered by Lockwood/Telephone/45 is Broadmoor. It is a transitional neighborhood started in 1923 I think. Constable Victor Trevino lives in there. There is some gentrification going on, but it is slow. Many of the homes are quaint brick bungalows with big front porches, much like what you see in sections of Norhill over in the Heights (but not in the same condition!). Prices vary in there. I have seen a totally renovated bungalow with a pool fetch around $165,000 while train wrecks go for $60,000.

Broadmoor bungalow

On the other side of Lockwood, behind the old Foley's, now Macy's warehouse, is Eastwood. This is farther along on the gentrification cycle. the sections closer to the freeway are a little newer with the older sections closer to the train tracks. Prices are all over the map with renovated homes selling in the $200's, one fetching as much as $575,000 last year, down to total rehabs selling for $100,000. Eastwood | Houston, Texas | 77023

various Eastwood shots

The light rail commuter line is going down Harrisburg, which is only a block north from Eastwood. You also have all of the warehouse district between Eastwood and downtown which I think will eventually redevelop into town homes.

There is also a nice little pocket just south of Eastwood, off Polk & Altic called Jackson Court. It doesn't have any deed restrictions though, but some really quaint little bungalows.

Across Telephone from Broadmoor is Lawndale. It is similar to Broadmoor in many respects and also very transitional.

one of the nicer cottages in Lawndale

The other neighborhood of note in 77023 is of course Idylwood. It has always been nice and is next to the public golf course at Wayside and Lawndale and fronts Braes Bayou. Prices, generally, generally run about $170,000 to $250,000. These are mostly English style cottages from the 30's and 40's. http://www.idylwood.org

This article in the Chronicle also talks about the East end area over there

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5473162.html

Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,182,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSigmaTheta View Post
Can anyone give me some insight about 77023 area? This is near Austin High School -- S. Lockwood/Leeland/Park Dr. are some street names to mention. The houses for sale are unique, victorian style single houses. How is this area? It seems quiet. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Not sure if you mean the Austin HS side of Lockwood, or the Cage Elementary side of Lockwood. As modster stated, they are separate neighborhoods, each with a generally different feel. I assume you mean Eastwood because AFAIK, Leelend stops at Lockwood and becomes Telephone Rd.

I'm a couple blocks from Cage Elem. and yes, it is very quiet, save for the random train horn.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM

101 posts, read 458,222 times
Default Considering It

Thanks so far for the input. Please keep them coming. I just love Bunaglows. I'm looking at the Heights but it's out of my price range. Montrose is iffy. Third Ward is an ideal location but this area lack the character & quality that I'm looking for. I've never considered Eastwood but being that it's inside the loop and close to downtown, it might be worth a look.

I'll keep the Cage Elem. area in mind. I see a home for sale on Park Dr. & thought the tree-lined street was very nice, quiet. Would you say this area is ideal for a single professional woman (no kids)? I get mixed opinions about Eastwood for as crime is concerned. Crime is everywhere. If I mind my business and get an alarm, I don't see why I wouldn't be safe.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 PM

I don't think crime is going to be any worse, if as bad, in Eastwood as it is in some of the more popular inner-loop choices like Heights or Montrose.

Parts of 3rd ward can be sketchy, parts can be very nice, over there it is all about what block you are on. That is not uncommon in older transitional areas and it used to be more that way in places like the Heights, but as gentrification continues it seems to smooth out the sharper contrasts between the nicer and the sketchy blocks.

Lindale Park is another popular alternative to the Heights. The slow down hit it pretty hard this past Fall and Winter so there is a limited number of recent sales in there. Now may be a good time to get a bargain in there.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,182,662 times
My litmus test for a neighborhood is whether or not I feel safe walking the dog at 2am. I definitely feel safe in Eastwood. That isn't to say that some of the surrounding areas (especially on the other side of Harrisburg or Scott) aren't sketchy, but Eastwood proper is fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 PM

9,273 posts, read 25,261,813 times
ahh. I love areas near the bayous. They are so un-Houston like in their terrain. Iydlwood is lovely.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 PM

860 posts, read 1,468,252 times
IMO, the gentrification of much of 77023 will pick up again when the economy improves. As a single woman, I couldn't afford to buy a Heights bungalow and mine in Broadmoor seems a good fit. Neighbors are friendly and the neighborhood feels safe, but I wouldn't walk my dog in any Houston neighborhood at 2 am!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 AM

3,503 posts, read 6,874,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSigmaTheta View Post
Pretty decent area.

My grandfather lives two streets behind that park that is just past the Lawndale/Telephone intersection.

Flooding is sorta' crummy right there...

On the other hand, I grew up on the other side of the 77023 in teh neighborhood across from the Forest park Cemetary entrance. That neighborhood has rebounded from what it was when I was living there back in '96. But, the house I grew up in is still the only true POS house still on Alta Vista...

Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Pretty decent area.

My grandfather lives two streets behind that park that is just past the Lawndale/Telephone intersection.

Flooding is sorta' crummy right there...

On the other hand, I grew up on the other side of the 77023 in teh neighborhood across from the Forest park Cemetary entrance. That neighborhood has rebounded from what it was when I was living there back in '96. But, the house I grew up in is still the only true POS house still on Alta Vista...
You were over in Forest Hill. That area is rallying somewhat too. It was laid out by Hare & Hare, the same Kansas City Architecture firm that designed Hermann park, River Oaks street plan, Garden Oaks, & Glenbrook Valley. I think it was designed originally to be much more upscale as exhibited by three huge homes that look straight out Westmoreland or Courtlandt Place in Montrose. I think all three of those are listed in the AIA Architectural Guide to Houston by Stephen Fox.

That is a book anyone who is even remotely interested in architecture, Houston history, etc. should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: