Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,870 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be moving to Houston this summer to begin a job in the Energy Corridor. I have been researching places to live and i'm between Lakes on Eldridge and Cinco Ranch.

I'm leaning towards Lakes on Eldridge but I would like to know if anyone could provide information on whether the surrounding area is dangerous? Would you recommend this area? How's the commute to the energy corridor?

I appreciate any insight provided. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
I don't think the lower schools for the Eldridge area are as good as the Katy ones. Also, they had a little bit of flooding over there yesterday. But the places that got effected yesterday really never had those problems before.

But, it's a very nice community and much closer in than most of them.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
I like Lakes on Eldridge alot but I do not think the schools are that great. I have friends there and according to them much of the neighborhood goes to private.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
What school district is Lakes on Eldridge zoned to? If it is Cy-Fair ISD then you have nothing to worry about. Cy-Fair has great schools. Also the area is very safe. The communities near Lakes on Eldridge include Twin Lakes, The Colonies, Copperfield, and Hearthstone. All those communities are outstanding. I also wouldn't worry about the flooding because Addicks reservoir will collect all that water and take it away from that area and down Buffalo Bayou in into Houston on its way to the bay. Cinco Ranch is great too and you will probably be equally happy with either choice.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,794 times
Check out Longwood, Rock Creek, Lakewood Oaks, Northlake Forest, Stable Gate, Park Forest, Secret Forest, Wincrest Falls, Coles Crossing area as well (77429). It's a 30 minute drive to the Energy corridor, we have Exemplary schools and lots of mature trees.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM

243 posts, read 487,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c19580 View Post
Hello all,

I will be moving to Houston this summer to begin a job in the Energy Corridor. I have been researching places to live and i'm between Lakes on Eldridge and Cinco Ranch.

I'm leaning towards Lakes on Eldridge but I would like to know if anyone could provide information on whether the surrounding area is dangerous? Would you recommend this area? How's the commute to the energy corridor?

I appreciate any insight provided. Thank you.
Both are great neighborhoods.

Becuase of the actual time it takes to get to I-10, your commute to the Energy Corridor will be less from Lakes on Eldridge than from Cinco. In addition, becuase of it's distance from downtown, you will spend less per square foot in Cinco than LOE.

The area around LOE is either industrial office parks or high end residential. It doesn't get bad until you get east of the Beltway. Katy schools in Cinco are some of the best in the state. Becuase of the way its zoned, the elementary school near LOE is 50% economically disadvantaged (from east of Beltway 8) and the other 50% upper middle class from LOE/Twin Lakes. As another poster said, many LOE parents send their kids to private school.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times
LoE is in the CyFair area.

We lived opposite in Twin Lakes and I never thought of the area as dangerous.

As to schools, I saw the local buses do the rounds thru LoE and the other big two communities, but our daughter took the bus to the British School- there's many Brits living round there who work in Energy Corridor.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
It is funny about Brits and westside of town out here. Nottingham Forest is loaded with them.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
It is funny about Brits and westside of town out here. Nottingham Forest is loaded with them.
The majority of Brits in Houston, certainly those who have kids at the British School of Houston, are there working in oil and gas so it's not surprising that many are located in your area as well as LoE/LoE North and Twin Lakes.

Those areas are served by special school buses to that school so everything becomes self perpetuating.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM

243 posts, read 487,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The majority of Brits in Houston, certainly those who have kids at the British School of Houston, are there working in oil and gas so it's not surprising that many are located in your area as well as LoE/LoE North and Twin Lakes.

Those areas are served by special school buses to that school so everything becomes self perpetuating.
The expats are driving the demand for homes in LOE/Twin Lakes as they are still selling quickly and at record high prices. Most all expats send their kids to the British school as most companies pay for it. In addition, other LOE parents tend to put their noses up when you mention public schools although the elementary school is really pretty good. In Cinco, I'm sure most parents send their kids to public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston