Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggwright View Post
And hurricane season is right around the corner so maybe just maybe we will not get hit this year again.
But if we get another one it might blow down more billboards on 45 which cannot be replaced under city ordinance. (It's not like this issue hasn't been addressed, not that this city has bigger ones or anything.)

If anyone cares that much they could go knock them down with bulldozers. You might end up in jail and you will probably be liable if the billboard falls and kills anybody, but I don't think they would be allowed to replace it. You're an engineering student, right EE? I'm sure you could figure out how to do it safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,072,360 times
The easiest thing Houston can do is plant trees alongside freeways. I was recently in Seattle and they had a treeline separating the interstate from development. Houston is doing something similar alongside the newly upgraded Katy Freeway. Pine trees usually grow to 25+ feet so it would produce a sort of natural barrier. Trees for Houston and other groups are contributing to this. Also, similar initiatives could be spurred alongside Houston freeways be people who get involved. The only downside to this idea is that it will take probably a decade for the trees to make a visual impact.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,831,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I -45 is probably the ugliest stretch of a freeway in America (except for up by The Woodlands area). What is the citys problem with this freeway? Why won't they take better care of its appearance?
Many low income areas on I-45. No one cares what's happening there.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The easiest thing Houston can do is plant trees alongside freeways.
That would be easy if there wasn't a feeder road with development on it already running along the freeway.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times
Quote:
The easiest thing Houston can do is plant trees alongside freeways. I was recently in Seattle and they had a treeline separating the interstate from development. Houston is doing something similar alongside the newly upgraded Katy Freeway. Pine trees usually grow to 25+ feet so it would produce a sort of natural barrier. Trees for Houston and other groups are contributing to this. Also, similar initiatives could be spurred alongside Houston freeways be people who get involved. The only downside to this idea is that it will take probably a decade for the trees to make a visual impact.
I remember when those pine trees were first planted all along side I-45 from 610 to The Woodlands. It was only like 4-5 years ago, now they're already pretty tall & dense.

The ones on I-10 West are relatively new as they were planted right before the Katy Freeway was finished last year. Just Give them a few more years to mature.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That would be easy if there wasn't a feeder road with development on it already running along the freeway.
Some of Houston's freeways have a grassy median between the freeway & feeder roads. Those are the ones being utilized for reforesting & creating a sort of barrier to block the blight off of those freeways.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's already being done.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,583 times
Quote:
Yes but the nice looking pine trees take forever to grow. Houston should plant some nice fast growing red cedars, oak, or cottonwoods.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Yes but the nice looking pine trees take forever to grow. Houston should plant some nice fast growing red cedars, oak, or cottonwoods.
That's what I'm thinking, maybe live oaks or water oaks. Cottonwoods are nice but they get really trashy in the fall (or after a hurricane). Some white/salmon/pink/red oleanders with palms might be nice, like they have them down by 45/8. The pine trees on the south side don't always grow very dense... just look at those planted in Clear Lake for instance. Branches with little puffs on the ends of them, lots of dead branches too high up to cut. The green is on maybe the top 20% of the tree. Many of them are worse after the hurricane and haven't grown back very well this year, while some are yellow and brown. Meanwhile the oaks, tallows, hawthorns, sweetgum, etc are thriving. IMO they should go this route down south at least, instead of planting pines and expecting it to look like NE TX or Georgia in a few years. Not happening in our alkaline clay soil.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That's what I'm thinking, maybe live oaks or water oaks. Cottonwoods are nice but they get really trashy in the fall (or after a hurricane). Some white/salmon/pink/red oleanders with palms might be nice, like they have them down by 45/8. The pine trees on the south side don't always grow very dense... just look at those planted in Clear Lake for instance. Branches with little puffs on the ends of them, lots of dead branches too high up to cut. The green is on maybe the top 20% of the tree. Many of them are worse after the hurricane and haven't grown back very well this year, while some are yellow and brown. Meanwhile the oaks, tallows, hawthorns, sweetgum, etc are thriving. IMO they should go this route down south at least, instead of planting pines and expecting it to look like NE TX or Georgia in a few years. Not happening in our alkaline clay soil.
I agree completely. I was also thinking sweetgums. Water oaks however can also get pretty messy with all those little leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston