Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Its nothing like getting off work and getting on the SH Toll to 59 at sunset towards the Williams Tower because the sun gives it a unique look and then heading downtown you can appreciate the architecture on buildings and freeways in the city, I could care less if he or she says it ugly that there opinion.
I love that ramp going into Houston on a clear day. The view is breathtaking with all of Houston's inner employment areas and the tall buildings.

Depending on what part of the city you are in, Uptown, Greenway Plaza, and Downtown look like they are all in the same area and looks like a mega skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:20 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I love that ramp going into Houston on a clear day. The view is breathtaking with all of Houston's inner employment areas and the tall buildings.

Depending on what part of the city you are in, Uptown, Greenway Plaza, and Downtown look like they are all in the same area and looks like a mega skyline.
Definitely! IMO, the downtown skyline alone is one of the best in the country and if you add all of the other skylines Houston has, it's even more impressive.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:09 PM

421 posts, read 1,726,734 times
My favorite view is on 90 coming from Sugarland/Missouri City traveling north towards 610. The Medical Center Skiyline and the Downtown Skiyline appear to form one large business district. I love it.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
My favorites is onto the exit ramp getting on to 288 north from 610 (south loop west/ reliant area) where you can see the downtown skyline ahead and just to the left you can see the medical center skyline and uptown in the background.

My other favorite is heading south on 610 from the Williams/Transco tower. The Medical Center skyline looks HUGE! Huge enough to rival most major cities' downtowns.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
My favorites is onto the exit ramp getting on to 288 north from 610 (south loop west/ reliant area) where you can see the downtown skyline ahead and just to the left you can see the medical center skyline and uptown in the background.
Definitely a favorite of mine. I like going up 288 into town on a clear day with good visibility. And as boring as it can be, the flatness helps you see all the different skylines when coming up into the city like this.

If you get on the Gulf Freeway going north from the south beltway going east, the ramp takes you high and brings you around where you can see downtown and the industrial skyline to the east. Especially cool at night.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:33 AM

298 posts, read 954,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Oh yeah, concerning Houston history....

arch-ive.org

Check this out.

I wish those pics were mine....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Very cool link. I just wish less of them had the "demolished" caption underneath.

Thanks guys, and me too, re the demolition tags...

Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If you get on the Gulf Freeway going north from the south beltway going east, the ramp takes you high and brings you around where you can see downtown and the industrial skyline to the east. Especially cool at night.
I like that one too. Usually i'm the driver when i'm down that way. It's very scary while driving when you're riding that high and trying to take a quick glance at the skyline in the periphial. I would highly not recommend it.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
I like that one too. Usually i'm the driver when i'm down that way. It's very scary while driving when you're riding that high and trying to take a quick glance at the skyline in the periphial. I would highly not recommend it.
Indeed. This is best done as a passenger.

I guess most people don't think much of them in the aesthetic sense, but growing up and coming up on 45 I'd see that interchange being built and was fascinated by the freeway system itself in the city.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
exactly! lol

I'm always the driver when out there and my friend will always tell me look, and I'm like" uh...hello!" lol

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM

49 posts, read 121,384 times
OK except the "downtown skyline" Houston is still so UGGGHHHH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston