Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordertin View Post
OK except the "downtown skyline" Houston is still so UGGGHHHH.
Huh?

Even Houston's smallest skylines (Greenway Plaza, Med Center, Greenspoint) rival those of medium to large sized US cities. DT Houston is just a little taller than DT Los Angeles when averaging building heights, both have such similar skylines & architecture its unreal. From certain angles it would be hard for an average Joe who knew nothing of city skylines to tell them apart if the mountains & Hollywood sign weren't such a dead give away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Huh?

Even Houston's smallest skylines (Greenway Plaza, Med Center, Greenspoint) rival those of medium to large sized US cities. DT Houston is just a little taller than DT Los Angeles when averaging building heights, both have such similar skylines & architecture its unreal. From certain angles it would be hard for an average Joe who knew nothing of city skylines to tell them apart if the mountains & Hollywood sign weren't such a dead give away.
Especially at night

Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Especially at night
Hmmm...I think I'd have to give that one to LA. Night time lighting on buildings in Houston seems to be an after thought, however I do like the fact Houston has restrictions banning signs on buildings above a certain height, unlike in LA where US Bank adorns the crown on its tallest. Rather tacky if you ask me, that crown looked MUCH better without a corporate logo attached atop when it was called Library Tower.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,215 times
I get it! My husband is from Houston and whenever we go back, i just have to bite my tongue about the look and feel of the place. The people are great, but ug, don't they have a sense of pride? Here's the deal. The city has no/few zoning laws. It's part of the Texas sense of independence and hands off government. The flip side of this admirable trait is...Houston's less than stellar sense of pride in the landscape.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordertin View Post
OK except the "downtown skyline" Houston is still so UGGGHHHH.
Houston may have some ugly parts to it, but the downtown skyline is definitely NOT one of them.

I can't help but to glance at it every time I pass it and its been mentioned plenty of times as one of the best skylines in the nation.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,070,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogz View Post
I get it! My husband is from Houston and whenever we go back, i just have to bite my tongue about the look and feel of the place. The people are great, but ug, don't they have a sense of pride? Here's the deal. The city has no/few zoning laws. It's part of the Texas sense of independence and hands off government. The flip side of this admirable trait is...Houston's less than stellar sense of pride in the landscape.
Most of Texas has traditional zoning, Houston is the exception. A less than stellar sense of pride? I would disagree there. Houston is a big city, seems like many people just base their opinions of what they see off of the highways and such and dont take the time to notice the neighborhoods. Plus it doesn't help we have no natural beauty besides the environment a humid subtropical climate provides.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,597,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Um it's a dump all the way to Conroe.
I am no expert on the area, as I have only been down there once. However I drove down from the north on 45, and I didn't personally find anything wrong with how the area looks, any of it from Conroe all the way to downtown. In fact I'd always heard the warnings from people of "Oh no don't go to Houston, it's such a crap-hole!" and during that whole stretch from Conroe to downtown I was waiting to find the crap, but never saw it- what I saw was just a decent looking city. This stretch was the first area in Houston we saw, and my wife and I were very pleased. We can't wait to go down there again!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,492,716 times
Outsiders are so ignorant about Houston it's unreal. Then they move here and never want to leave. Or they ***** about how much they hate it and stay.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM

28 posts, read 67,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Outsiders are so ignorant about Houston it's unreal. Then they move here and never want to leave. Or they ***** about how much they hate it and stay.
There are lots of things to hate about Houston, if you compare it to the "classic" cities (Chicago, NYC, LA). There are also a LOT of things to like. Whatever way the balance tips depends totally on the person.

I agree though, misconceptions about Houston are huge... but then again, usually people will have misconceptions about ANY place they haven't ever been. People don't like Houston because few ever vacation here just for the hell of it. It's not a craphole, it's a nice place to live, but it's not flashy or particularly memorable if you're on, say, a greatest highlights tour of the US.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neb85 View Post
There are lots of things to hate about Houston, if you compare it to the "classic" cities (Chicago, NYC, LA). There are also a LOT of things to like. Whatever way the balance tips depends totally on the person.

I agree though, misconceptions about Houston are huge... but then again, usually people will have misconceptions about ANY place they haven't ever been. People don't like Houston because few ever vacation here just for the hell of it. It's not a craphole, it's a nice place to live, but it's not flashy or particularly memorable if you're on, say, a greatest highlights tour of the US.
I would argue that one day Houston might be a "classic" city. I'm a Chicago native myself and think the city is amazing. People forget it was once an ugly, disease ridden place built on a swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston