Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM

254 posts, read 464,517 times

Advertisements

BAHAHAHA. EE. Oh man, I already posted, but I was just thinking about something I forgot to mention: Philly! Let's talk about living in Philly. Now THAT is what you would call "dilapidation and catastrophe".

Welcome to my daily reality. So . . . "dilapidation and catastrophe"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Beautiful cities like Charlotte aren't touristy. but the attractiveness of a city has other bonuses other than just attracting visitors. The popularity and desirability of a city has the potential of bringing more businesses, jobs, cultures, and other useful and interesting resources into town

Now you say you don't care about the way Houston looks but I'm sure that every now and then you desire to see a really beautiful place and have to travel to do so.
You used Charlotte as an example of beautiful? My sister lives there and i visited in February. They have a nice downtown core but off the freeway and everywhere else throughout the city, Charlotte is probably one of the most boring drives I've ever driven. There's millions of trees everywhere lining the freeways and hiding most shopping centers. My sister even joked saying that the only landmarks Charlotte really has are trees.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
So what? Let them stay away. Jfre81, you shouldn't have posted the positive photos.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

omgutilitypoles

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/jfre81/122-1.jpg (broken link)

See, we hide stuff with trees too. For instance, if you're walking down this sidewalk, you can't see the 30-story abandoned Holiday Inn.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,130 times
I've always wondered what the story was behind that abandoned hotel?
Anyone know?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I've always wondered what the story was behind that abandoned hotel?
Anyone know?
Holiday / Days / Heaven on Earth Inn - Houston Architecture Info Forum

tl;dr version: It was a Holiday Inn, then a Days Inn, then a Transcendental Meditation commune with a vegan restaurant in the lobby, then (probably) the tallest abandoned building in Houston.

It's pretty fugly but it's got quite an interesting history. In that HAIF topic there are actually some interior shots. It's rather trashed. But it's being worked on, slowly. It was supposed to get turned into lofts but I think that plan fell through. Damn recession.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:47 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,130 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Naw cause take Chicago for example, it's flat and rundown but has more attractive factors that make up for it. Atlanta has many rundown places and some areas look like they have no zoning, but they make up for it with other things (hills, tree cover, four season weather, beautiful architecture, history). New Orleans shares the same climate with Houston but its historic, walkable districts make NO the more attractive city in some people's eyes.

Houston on the other hand has a less than desirable climate, it's flat, it has no zoning, it sprawls, lack of history, etc. NO OTHER city has ALL of these unattractive features. that's why Houston is considered ugly. Many view it as the worst a city could get. I don't though. And none of this really matters to me anyway because I'm still considering moving there.
Hmmm...if that's the case then why is Houston's population so much larger than N.O. or Atlanta? I think the "ugliness" that you describe is what makes this city so attractive and unique in my opinion. I've lived in New Orleans and if it weren't for the French Quarter that city would be nothing.

You say you are considering moving here. Why? I still cannot comprehend why someone would move to a place they obviously disliked so much. And I will say this again...for those who live here and do not like it...MOVE already and get on with your lives.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM

Oh yeah, concerning Houston history....

arch-ive.org

Check this out.

I wish those pics were mine....

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Oh yeah, concerning Houston history....

arch-ive.org

Check this out.

I wish those pics were mine....
Very cool link. I just wish less of them had the "demolished" caption underneath.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 PM

49 posts, read 121,384 times
Houston was born ugly, nobody can change that except God. So let's pray, thats why we have those gigantic churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston