Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,354 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I live in the UK and have just be (kind of) offered a 3 year assignment in one of 3 US locations, one being Houston (the others Whippany, NJ and Columbus, OH). I've been to Hoston before c1999 for a week on business and loved the place! But of course, a relocation is a completely different matter!
As this would be a company sponsored move, it's (pretty) certain that I'd be looking for a rental during this period as opposed to buying. The firm's offices are downtown (Travis) but I'm not keen on living downtown as i need space, greenery and fresh air.
It would be for just me and my girlfriend, no kids {at the moment...but her biological clock is ticking! :-)} . Based on my potential visa, she couldn't work for the first 3 months I believe, so the area we select must have a community vibe to help her integrate with neighbours and local events.

Do any of you have suggestions for commutable areas/communities that would fit the bill?

Thanks,
Neil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
Live in the West U/upper Kirby or Rice Military...possibly garden Oaks or Oak Forest. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgeeza View Post
Hi guys,

I live in the UK and have just be (kind of) offered a 3 year assignment in one of 3 US locations, one being Houston (the others Whippany, NJ and Columbus, OH). I've been to Hoston before c1999 for a week on business and loved the place! But of course, a relocation is a completely different matter!
As this would be a company sponsored move, it's (pretty) certain that I'd be looking for a rental during this period as opposed to buying. The firm's offices are downtown (Travis) but I'm not keen on living downtown as i need space, greenery and fresh air.
It would be for just me and my girlfriend, no kids {at the moment...but her biological clock is ticking! :-)} . Based on my potential visa, she couldn't work for the first 3 months I believe, so the area we select must have a community vibe to help her integrate with neighbours and local events.

Do any of you have suggestions for commutable areas/communities that would fit the bill?

Thanks,
Neil.
First of all, welcome to the U.S !!

Why not midtown? It's close to everything and it PLENTY of things to do. At least, I would consider living inside 610.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 AM

Thanks for your replies guys! My preference is for a house (not townhouse) that has a sizeable yard and pool, with neighbours not too close (it's not that i'm anti-social....I just like a bit of space )

Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
What allowance will you be offered? That will make a huge difference.

And as for a sizeable yard with neighbors not too close, on first blush that doesn't sound very city-ish, at least not what most people could afford. You might want to clarify what you mean by sizeable as people will invariably send you to the country.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:34 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
If you would like to rent a home with a pool and not live too far out I suggest Walnut Bend,Briargrove Park or Nottingham/Westchester

Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
What allowance will you be offered? That will make a huge difference.

And as for a sizeable yard with neighbors not too close, on first blush that doesn't sound very city-ish, at least not what most people could afford. You might want to clarify what you mean by sizeable as people will invariably send you to the country.
I'm afraid I haven't had details of the allowance yet, should be announced in the next few weeks I hope.
Living in England, all neighbours are close by (unless you have $millions) as we're a crammed-in country .
I was just hoping to get away from that and enjoy more real estate per $ than can be had here in England. Sizeable would be a minimum of 220-250sq yards I guess? (enough for a pool, grass and terrace)

Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgeeza View Post
I'm afraid I haven't had details of the allowance yet, should be announced in the next few weeks I hope.
Living in England, all neighbours are close by (unless you have $millions) as we're a crammed-in country .
I was just hoping to get away from that and enjoy more real estate per $ than can be had here in England. Sizeable would be a minimum of 220-250sq yards I guess? (enough for a pool, grass and terrace)
That is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if you lived in the countryside now, lured by "cheap" Houston, and might have had expectations out of line with reality. Until you have a price in mind, it will be hard to give firm options.

Houston might be a large city population-wise, but we aren't dense and urban in the traditional old northeastern city sense. "City" lots (those inside the 610 loop) are typically ~5-7k square feet. There are some that are smaller (usually townhomes) and some larger, but that's a decent enough range. The ~5-7k size would typically have (or have had if the neighborhood is a tear down) 1920-1940's homes on them. In the 1950's + neighborhoods in and along the loop, the lot sizes grow to roughly the 7k-11k range, likely due to the abundance of single-story ranch style homes that simply need more space. Exceptions apply, of course, in the more upscale areas where lots were always larger than average.

If this size fits what you are looking for, then most of the inner and along-the-loop will make the cut on space terms alone.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,487 times
I'd suggest Garden Oaks, Barkers Landing, Fleetwood, Lakes on Eldridge, Tanner Lakes, or Timbergrove

Old 05-01-2009, 06:18 PM

247 posts, read 737,535 times
I recently fell in love with an area in Sugar Land called the Commonwealth. It is an older neighborhood (late 80's to 90's) with homes selling from about 280,000k to 500,000k. There are not that many rentals and the prices aren't cheap but the neighborhood is gorgeous. It is close to Hwy 59 and not a bad drive into downtown. There are also lots of Brits and Europeans in Sugar Land. This is a link to a house I found for lease in the Bridgewater subdivision in Commonwealth. 4906 Hillswick Dr, Sugar Land, TX 77479 - HAR.com

I spent the last year looking all over Houston for a home with a big yard and trees. I just bought a 2800 square foot house in the Oxford subdivision of Commonwealth and couldn't be happier it. The neighbors are friendly and it has a huge yard with a 100 year old pecan tree and a duck pond down the street. Good luck and welcome to Texas if you choose Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: