Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times

Advertisements

That will take decades. Many buildings at UH do need major upgrades. It would be better just to move the entire university to a different place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
That will take decades. Many buildings at UH do need major upgrades. It would be better just to move the entire university to a different place.
One of UH's functions is to serve as a commuter school for residents in Central Houston. It would be more difficult for UH to do that if it relocated to a far-out suburb. That's why the UH System has satellite schools and campuses.

Also many wealthy people are moving into the Third Ward, and it caused some residents to start anti-gentrification campaigns.

Last edited by Vicman; 05-01-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Any new major university should be centrally located within a city (as UH, St. Thomas, TX Southern are). Putting it on one far end of town only serves one area well. UT is in the main part of Austin, etc. Seriously for attending class there is nothing wrong with UH where it is. For nightlife.........after hours..........ummm not so much. UH is central to everyone's reach.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
I work at UH and parts of it are really nice. They just need to keep upgrading the infrastructure and keep working on Tier 1 status.

I've attended two top notch schools in my life and I am more impressed with UH than the school's local reputation would have predicted. I think there is momentum building for UH to evolve into something great. UH really isn't that far from appealing areas...it's just that you have to go through a few sketchy blocks to get there. Some urban renewal would really change the landscape.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:11 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
A UT-Sugarland would be nice to see someday!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:23 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
One of UH's functions is to serve as a commuter school for residents in Central Houston. It would be more difficult for UH to do that if it relocated to a far-out suburb. That's why the UH System has satellite schools and campuses.

Also many wealthy people are moving into the Third Ward, and it caused some residents to start anti-gentrification campaigns.
I don't talk about that. The location is just bad. To get from I-10 on I-45 in the morning is bad. And I live inside the 610. MANY students come from Katy, Cypress or Sugarland. Should be on a better freeway.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I don't talk about that. The location is just bad. To get from I-10 on I-45 in the morning is bad. And I live inside the 610. MANY students come from Katy, Cypress or Sugarland. Should be on a better freeway.
UH could alleviate this by offering more student housing and encouraging people to live on campus.

And UT Houston (undergrad) *could* be located towards the Northwest, where it would be convenient to the HP (former Compaq) and Greenspoint employment centers

Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
And UT Houston (undergrad) *could* be located towards the Northwest, where it would be convenient to the HP (former Compaq) and Greenspoint employment centers
Actually UT could do better if it built an additional campus on the Westside, where most Houstonians live, after merging with the UH System. It would be wise for UT to integrate the University of Houston system into the UT system but keep the brand with a slight change of "University of Houston, Part of the University of Texas System."

Now if we could get Baylor to merge with HBU and move to Houston as part of the revitalization of Sharpstown. They could give the old campus to the UT System for a nominal consideration and UT would establish a school in Waco to complement A&M.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 AM

I'm not sure if there is a need to consolidate the entire UH System into the UT system? Is there a leadership issue in the UH System?

Now that I think about it, West Houston would be a good idea for a campus if we could find space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually UT could do better if it built an additional campus on the Westside, where most Houstonians live, after merging with the UH System. It would be wise for UT to integrate the University of Houston system into the UT system but keep the brand with a slight change of "University of Houston, Part of the University of Texas System."

Now if we could get Baylor to merge with HBU and move to Houston as part of the revitalization of Sharpstown. They could give the old campus to the UT System for a nominal consideration and UT would establish a school in Waco to complement A&M.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:01 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Well I don't think that most Houstonians live on the west side. Houston is very spread out and has a very diverse student body who come from all sides of Houston, so I believe the main campus is probably exactly where it needs to be to service the entire Houston area efficiently and accessible to all residents not just primarily one side. If you want that then people can encourage a private university to build out there such as a Rice or St. Thomas satellite campus or move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston