Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,564,242 times

Advertisements

Sounds more like a regional thing and they're 'picking on' Memorial.

Have a buddy in the far W/NW whose went down about 30%.

Ours went up about 1.75%. Valuation has fortunately been fair enough since we moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM

551 posts, read 1,567,161 times
We live in Pearland and it has gone up 10% every year since we moved in in 1999. They need a way to make more money each year and they count on people not protesting their home values. You need to protest it. Instructions on how to protest it is on the back of the form that they mail to you. We have protested ours every year and every year they lower it. There is no way in this economy they can even attempt to explain to me why my home has gone up another $8,000 dollars. Sorry!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,317,461 times
The best way to protest is to find a friend that's in real estate or title insurance and get sold comps for your area for the last 6 months. Some places you might find are lower than they were last year.

It's really ridiculous that we even have to do that, considering what's been going on around here.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 PM

61 posts, read 272,244 times
Hi yes I am in a new build. The first year I paid only land, the 2nd year we paid improved value and land value. We were very much prepared to pay the taxes and was ready for it. I was just not ready for the tax value of my home to jump up 19K from last year. That does make a difference for a family with one income. I do not escrow so I pay my own taxes as we are very good about putting money away etc.

Last year when I tried to protest my taxes the person at Fort Bend told me that being my house is in Cinco he was more than happy to show me new homes across our section that go for 500K and upwards! (my house is nowhere near that) My house is in the mid 200's .And that if I wanted he will be more than happy to compare our home to that value instead! Which would make our value higher. I was shocked by this kind of thing at this economy.

Last edited by movingaroundok; 05-01-2009 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,317,461 times
Sounds like he's trying to bully you. Again--get a real estate agent to give you sales comps for the past 6 months in YOUR section. Take that to the idiot at FBAD.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM

135 posts, read 565,028 times
I'll be moving to Houston in June and am interested in the process for protesting your taxes. We purchased our home for significantly less than what it's accessed at (220k purchase accessed at 289k). Any info is appreciated.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 PM

67 posts, read 350,081 times
Mine went down about $600 (10%); "should" i still fight... i mean don't get me wrong, I LOVE extra cash in my pocket, but wondering if anyone out there has experience with appealing even when the assesses value was lower?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 24,618 times
I am in a one year old home. My taxes have gone up 75% in one year at Lake Brownwood. Last Jan 1 the house was complete on the outside & already a homestead. I have not added any square footage since then. I thought they could only go up 10%! I am fighting it. Their argument is that "lakefront property is expensive". I dont even own the land the house is on. I lease it from the water disctrict. I dont know what my best argument can be. I am not in a gated communtiy or a new development.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,108,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingaroundok View Post
Hi yes I am in a new build. The first year I paid only land, the 2nd year we paid improved value and land value. We were very much prepared to pay the taxes and was ready for it. I was just not ready for the tax value of my home to jump up 19K from last year. That does make a difference for a family with one income. I do not escrow so I pay my own taxes as we are very good about putting money away etc.

Last year when I tried to protest my taxes the person at Fort Bend told me that being my house is in Cinco he was more than happy to show me new homes across our section that go for 500K and upwards! (my house is nowhere near that) My house is in the mid 200's .And that if I wanted he will be more than happy to compare our home to that value instead! Which would make our value higher. I was shocked by this kind of thing at this economy.
Even in this economy, certain areas are still appreciating. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you want to look at it) - Cinco is one of those areas. However, trying to compare your house to one several hundred thousands higher is stupid - he is being a jerk. Although it is going up, it's not going up as aggressively as what FBAD is trying to collect. I just did several comps for past clients that are fighting taxes this year in Cinco and I have noticed they are really going after the money this year.

I'll be glad to run the numbers and comps for you - just pm me with the address and email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston