Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times

Advertisements

Though Houston crime falls, candidates raise safety issue | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
In 2008, the number of major crimes committed per 100,000 residents in Houston was lower than any year since 1980, according to Houston Police Department data. In the first three months of this year, violent crimes have declined 8 percent compared to the same period last year.
So is the perception really worse than reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 AM

54 posts, read 149,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So is the perception really worse than reality?
That seems to be the way people are these days. The news is FULL of sensationalism. You can't see or read the news without hearing all the terrible crime going on around you. Your children will be kidnapped and butchered by a stranger! Drive-bys and muggings 24/7!

Reading comments on Chron.com you get the feeling that a lot of folks feel like they need to pack heat everywhere they go and step out of their homes blasting ala Joe Horn. People live in fear these days and, to me, it's quite sad.

I liked this line in the article:

Quote:
“Politicians use a fear of crime to garner support and get voters’ attention.”
There are some people where it is in their best interest for us to live in fear whether it's to get elected or sell a newspaper. Just keep that in mind.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanball View Post
That seems to be the way people are these days. The news is FULL of sensationalism. You can't see or read the news without hearing all the terrible crime going on around you. Your children will be kidnapped and butchered by a stranger! Drive-bys and muggings 24/7!

Reading comments on Chron.com you get the feeling that a lot of folks feel like they need to pack heat everywhere they go and step out of their homes blasting ala Joe Horn. People live in fear these days and, to me, it's quite sad.

I liked this line in the article:

There are some people where it is in their best interest for us to live in fear whether it's to get elected or sell a newspaper. Just keep that in mind.
Well said!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,536 times
My question is who is going to be the first one to spin the crime rate drop as somehow being related to Katrina evacuees?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM

54 posts, read 149,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
My question is who is going to be the first one to spin the crime rate drop as somehow being related to Katrina evacuees?
Just read the comments of the article. Someone said Katrina evacuees shooting each other accounts for it. That and the other boogie man -- illegals -- being deterred from coming due to the bad economy. You gotta love the Chron.com comments sections.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Well said!
Agreed. Good post. I don't watch the news anymore. I get my news from the Internet and use common sense when I go out. I find that a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:00 PM

564 posts, read 2,046,031 times
Funny thing is that crime has been going down steadily since the end of 2006. This isn't a new phenomena.

That said, if the economy continues to stagnate, there may be an uptick in certain types of crime. Hopefully not but it's a possibility.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,742 times
The crime RATE is down per 100,000 people. I think people get scared because they have lived in Houston a long time and don't factor in the big increase in population. They hear about more crimes being commited in general, especially in parts of town that historically haven't had very much, and they get freaked out despite the fact the crime rate is down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: