Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times

Advertisements

Any Zip Code Areas, outside the loop, that has reasonable housing cost, easier commute to Downtown than say Sugar Land or Spring, but still safe?

I'm thinking maybe some areas north of Pearland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Try 77023, specifically Idylwood, Houston Country Club Place, Eastwood, possibly Broadmoor and Lawndale depending upon your tolerance for transitional neighborhoods. (all these are inner-loop)

77035, Parkwest, Westbury, generally (not an absolute) east of Hillcroft and north of about Anderson Elementary.

77009 - Lindale Park

77061 - Glenbrook Valley, northern sections of Garden Villas.

77017 - Meadowcreek Village

Good public schools are generally not a strong point of these areas, but all are experiencing some levels of gentrification. They all have some level of transitional neighborhood factor and are not suitable for those with real suburban tastes.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
were very happy in 77072. we recently moved into a new, small, gated/fenced community right by westpark tollway. ISD is not great but we dont have kids. ethnic dining and food shopping is great. $160-190 range. houses are still available but so far no undesireable neighbors yet.

oh and dont buy used homes unless you can predict the future of the (any)area. houston has some kind of cancer with neighborhood $tability due

Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 PM

"were very happy in 77072"

Isn't the area right east of 77072 a really bad area?

"oh and dont buy used homes unless you can predict the future of the (any)area. houston has some kind of cancer with neighborhood $tability due"

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM

46 posts, read 245,578 times
77386 maybe Spring, but for 8.25 a day I can catch The Woodlands express right downtown. Affordable and nice!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
"were very happy in 77072"

Isn't the area right east of 77072 a really bad area?

"oh and dont buy used homes unless you can predict the future of the (any)area. houston has some kind of cancer with neighborhood $tability due"

Can you elaborate on what you mean?
"due to the ugly part of diversity" (sorry, i had to run off)

you must be referring to 77036 aka chinatown/sharpstown area - i heard the same. it has some ghetto streets, bad sewage in some areas and lots of old crampy apartments but definitely not more than 1% of the zipcode. the boundaries and main roads of 77036 is actually nice. it would have been great if my smalll community was erected there... closer to the big stores and livelier asian restaurants and a 15-20min less commute to work. i havent noticed any new SF homes tho. 77036 is also the 'harwin business park' - quite odd looking concentration of discount wholesale/retail of pretty much anything - it doesnt look chinese businesses - i'm really not sure hows business in this area but it looks depressed
Bissonet st (south of Bellaire) is definitely the farthest you can go when you check this areas out, altho the new developments around synott/beechnut/bissonet looks quite nice(brand new). my co worker lives there and says its quite nice
coming from NYC i was determined to flip an old house as my first but i came to realize that housing is not really an investment in most parts of houston. I believe i have to get out of my newly built home after 10-15year max and start anew. thats what most people do (houston is just so wide open people move for just about any reason). i've visited a lot of 15-30 year old neighborhoods and I do not want to be the sucker who'll take their problems away, so we bought new. Actually I saw so many ugly (old) neighborhoods that I bought the first new house I encountered along my route. in this area i think westheimer would only be the area i would buy a used home in. old designs and snobby folks in small houses are a big turn off tho
since new homes are everywhere its hard to be drawn/see potential in older homes. dust, rain, drought, insect colonies, floods, mud, mold, grass, etc just eats up houses/yards over here. worst of all is when you start seeing signs of the ghetto moving in. i think foreclosures or serious issues with the houses invite the kind you wont like being neighbors with. overcrowded driveways, really bad lawns, street parking ugly/bling/lowrider cars and overloaded pickup trucks would be some signs a community is way down the drain

Old 04-06-2007, 06:55 AM

""due to the ugly part of diversity" (sorry, i had to run off)"

I thought Asians moving into the community actually increase the property value. Are you refering to other minorities regarding the "ugly" part?

Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 AM

321 posts, read 1,440,284 times
Default Reasonable housing

Quote:
Any Zip Code Areas, outside the loop, that has reasonable housing cost, easier commute to Downtown than say Sugar Land or Spring, but still safe?

Remember Houston inner loop has awesome condos , midrises , and Highrises.. I don't know your needs... but do not exclude those.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
""due to the ugly part of diversity" (sorry, i had to run off)"

I thought Asians moving into the community actually increase the property value. Are you refering to other minorities regarding the "ugly" part?
i'm talking about any ethnicity in particular. to me diversity is some measure of how much a foreigner/minority gets comfortable in american soil. at a certain point people get too comfortable and we start living like we're back in a 3rd world country, this is when the we bring the worst of us into the US. this is when things get ugly.. busted up cars, blaring bad music, not using crosswalks/trashcans, overloading a single family home, etc. the 'ghetto' is the ugly part of diversity.
I hate to say the asians increase property value, we dont have that power . but normally chinatown starts on some cheapside and yes the property value increases, schools get better etc. I'm actually betting on chi-town houston, maybe some day it'll run out of land and start becoming denser, rebuilding the old neighborhoods and make RE prices go up. but thats a long shot since its still quite open land right now

Old 04-06-2007, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 32,267 times
Quote:

77040 in the NW may be one to check.
I live in NW Harris County inside the loop and where housing is still affordable ($160K and up). Very close to the loop, 290 and just 5 miles south of Willowbrook regional mall. You may want to check the Terrace Brook development on Fairbanks-Houston Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston