Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM

159 posts, read 566,345 times

Advertisements

What golf courses in the Sugar Land/Houston area are decent, and somewhat affordable? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:38 AM

509 posts, read 1,168,826 times
I don't live in Sugar Land and so don't know the courses in that area, sorry. One thing I will suggest to make golf more affordable in general is to walk the course.

A lot of the time, more than half of the cost of playing is cart rental cost. You will also burn some calories, get more time to guage your next shot, and learn the course more intimately. Blah, blah, blah...

Hope you find some decent, cheap courses.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 AM

614 posts, read 1,238,672 times
Sugarland golf has a few courses available. When you say affordable, not sure what your definition of affordable is but I'll just list the prices.

Greatwood- I would say this is the best course of the Sugarland ones but still not great. Haven't been there for over 6 months so couldn't tell you of the condition today. Green fees around $55/regular.

Sienna Plantation- Nice layout but the fairways are a little hard for my taste. You can find some decent deal on Golfnow for discounted green fees.

River Pointe- Nice quite goat track. They do allow walking though. Greens fees are <$45

Quail Valley- Used to be a country club but city bought it out last year. Has 2 18 courses but one is completely closed down and being redone now. When that opens it's a must try but right now. <$45

Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM

159 posts, read 566,345 times
By the way, they don't necessarily have to be in the Sugar Land side. I work in West U, so an afternoon get away close by would okay as well.

What are the typical golf cart fees?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM

454 posts, read 1,586,921 times
I play Southwyck the most, since I live in Pearland, but also because it is a very affordable and fairly difficult course (wind is always a factor here), but you can get off for $25-30 during the weekdays which is when I play the most. Weekend golf, since I have to pay higher rates, I end up going to Timbercreek in Friendswood most often. There are hundreds of courses I have not played though, so I am just throwing in my tidbit of info. Pearland is not too far from Sugarland, 15-20 min drive.

My favorite courses in Houston that I have played are all up North though. Redstone is nice, I enjoy Tour 18, I also like alot of the courses out in the Spring, Tomball, Cypress areas...but there are just dozens up there. Evergreen out in Baytown is an enjoyable course. The Wilderness in Lake Jackson is a mosquito nest, Memorial is the worst managed course I have played, Cinco Ranch is decent, but kind of high for the quality you get.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM

614 posts, read 1,238,672 times
Memorial and Sharpstown are the only places that let's you walk and don't have to pay a cart fee. I think the cart fee is $13-15 for 1/2 cart. River pointe let's you walk but still have to pay cart fee. Other than those three, you have to ride.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,441,103 times
Bear Creek?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,156,100 times
Hermann would be the closest to West U. It may not be the best course, but it's cheap. Memoiral is goo as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM

71 posts, read 144,016 times
Most private courses will not let you play without a cart. I play Sharptown golf course. It's a public course that allow you to play without a cart. They have afternoon rates (walking) of about $10.00.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM

454 posts, read 1,586,921 times
I will be playing Greatwood tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that course is. The rates for the weekday are $35. Most courses have the cart fee included into the green fees. I used to think that walking helped my game, attentiveness, focus, paying attention, etc....I found out I play just as well if I ride, so I take the lazy route. Some course down here are laid out so that walking between green to tee is a haul.

Is there a meetup group/forum for Houston golfers? I know I play solo alot during the week, just get random pairings....wasn't sure if there was a place for people to meet new people to golf with or whatever. Most of my friends can only play on weekends and such. Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston