Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 28,104 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Austin, but are considering a move to Houston to be closer to our extended family. My husband works from home, but will need access to an airport as he travels from time to time. I grew up in Memorial (graduated from Memorial High School) and love that area of town b/c of the trees, good schools, etc. Unfortunately, the prices are too high for us. My husband may disagree (LOL), but it would be nice to be within a reasonable travel time to visit them.

We have two young children (3 and 6) and are currently in an area of Austin which offers exemplary schools and a very family friendly master planned neighborhood (Steiner Ranch). One complaint we have about our current neighborhood is that it feels very generic and all of the houses look alike. Furthermore, it's about 20 miles outside of town which means it's a hike to get to good restaurants, shopping, etc. We would like to find a neighborhood in Houston with great schools and young families and are open to newer construction or older, charming neighborhoods. Our price range is $500-$700K. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 43,735 times
Pearland is very close to Hobby Airport, and with that price range you can get the nicest homes this city has to offer.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
For $700,000 you can live in some nice areas in town that are not some bland new cookie-cutter developments. Parts of Memorial, Meyerland, inner-loop Braeswood, Briargrove. You have a lot of options.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
You can live in one of the nicer areas of Kingwood for that with quick access to IAH and good schools. Plus you get your trees and master planned community with parks and pools.

Kingwood Greens Sample Home: 1 Links Ct, Kingwood, TX 77339 - HAR.com

Kings Point: 5611 Rapid Brook Ct, Kingwood, TX 77345 - HAR.com

Royal Shores: http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...%20Shores%20Ct.

New Construction Neighborhood, Barrington: 2838 S Cotswold Manor, Kingwood, TX 77339 - HAR.com

Last edited by chris_ut; 05-11-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:32 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times
Wilchester, Wilchester West, Memorial Plaza, Rustling Pines, Gaywood........anything just West of the Beltway on Memorial (up to Kirkwood). Wilchester & Rummel Creek are Exemplorary Elem schools & these neighborhoods are 450 -1 Million. Our Middle school is Memorial Middle (exemplorary) and Stratford H.S. So you can definately afford west Memorial!!!! Lots of younger families in these neighborhoods here for the schools. Values keep going up here too......

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 PM

381 posts, read 1,234,114 times
if you want brand new close to town - look at 77008,77018 zip code.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
77079,or West U/South Gate

Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstx View Post
My husband and I currently live in Austin, but are considering a move to Houston to be closer to our extended family. My husband works from home, but will need access to an airport as he travels from time to time. I grew up in Memorial (graduated from Memorial High School) and love that area of town b/c of the trees, good schools, etc. Unfortunately, the prices are too high for us. My husband may disagree (LOL), but it would be nice to be within a reasonable travel time to visit them.

We have two young children (3 and 6) and are currently in an area of Austin which offers exemplary schools and a very family friendly master planned neighborhood (Steiner Ranch). One complaint we have about our current neighborhood is that it feels very generic and all of the houses look alike. Furthermore, it's about 20 miles outside of town which means it's a hike to get to good restaurants, shopping, etc. We would like to find a neighborhood in Houston with great schools and young families and are open to newer construction or older, charming neighborhoods. Our price range is $500-$700K. Any thoughts?
Does it matter which airport? IAH (International) is north (Kingwood, Woodlands, etc would be good choices). Hobby is south so Sugar Land, Clearlake etc would be good choices. But not all airlines fly out of both airports. Southwest for example is a Hobby airline.

Your budget will get you a VERY nice house no matter where you choose to live. You could live inside the loop in the West U. area. But you would not really be close to either airport.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,553 times
I was thinking Clear Lake might be an option, too. The core of it is about 25 -30 minutes from Hobby (that is, during non-rush hour traffic)

Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
You can easily live in Wilchester, Gaywood and maybe Yorkshire for that and be less than 5 minutes from the Memorial Villages. These are right on the Beltway and Memorial so the drive to airport is nothing.

Same quality schools as the Villages but you would be in Stratford Country.

PS- I know of a house that might be coming on the market that backs half way to the reworked Buffalo Bayou and Terry Hershey Park and the other half to the Centennale(sp?), 50 acre church retreat that's all forest. I have no clue what they will list it at....but it's one heck of a location. This would be in Yorkshire. Kirkwood and Memorial.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 05-12-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston