Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM

471 posts, read 850,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
That's funny, because everyone I know from San Francisco owns a car. (I wonder if going to BU has anything to do with that?) I would assume you know more people from San Francisco than me though.
I can assure you that most of those people only use the car for leisure on the weekend to go out of town to places like Marin County, Tahoe, etc...not to go around the city.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:47 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
I can assure you that most of those people only use the car for leisure on the weekend to go out of town to places like Marin County, Tahoe, etc...not to go around the city.

Really? From the traffic jam on the bridges it sure seems like a commuterville town.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Really? From the traffic jam on the bridges it sure seems like a commuterville town.
Yes, for people coming in the city from the east bay or the peninsula (notice that the BART and CalTrain provide a practical option too). Not for people who live and work in the city. San Francisco is not provincial "a la L.A. or Houston".

Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Let me just say I have lived in Houston and spent a lot of time in Miami - Miami is too humid!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
nobody walks around in the city bek he has no money or is up to no good or is very fast on his feet. or maybe all 3. the streets be mean.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Let me just say I have lived in Houston and spent a lot of time in Miami - Miami is too humid!
WOW, check out the average temperatures and humidity in the summer. Miami hardly ever gets above 90. And you have plenty of beaches to cool off too. Let's be serious here. Houston weather is much worse when you add the fact that it's very polluted while Miami is the city with the cleanest air in the country. Houston's weather is much more like Orlando's.

Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"In 2008, Miami was ranked as "America's Cleanest City" according to Forbes Magazine for its year-round good air quality, vast green spaces, clean drinking water, clean streets and city-wide recycling programs"

Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM

101 posts, read 226,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
We are dependent on our cars, plain and simple. Everyone always gives the "It's too hot the majority of the year" excuse. That is not the case at all. We have about 8 months out of the year total where the weather is great for walking. Houston is not built for walking. It's built for car dependency.
Enough said. Don't want to offend anyone here, with drive through ATMs, drive though fast food joint, drive through drugstore, drive through Starbucks,... and we are wondering why people are getting fatter!

I've visited and lived in many cities in the US and the rest of the world. Sadly, in the US, the only cities you can survive without a car without sacrificing your comfort are New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, DC and Boston (I am only referring to major cities here). Houston by far is not the worst one in the US, but because it is the fourth largest city in the US, it does get a lot of attention.

Anyway, I am still happily walking around Midtown to downtown and Montrose, even to Rice Village, and I have discovered there are people like me living in Houston.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
A lot of my friends do. They think the public transportation is disgusting. Also why does data say otherwise?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
A lot of my friends do. They think the public transportation is disgusting. Also why does data say otherwise?
You got to be kidding me. Most professionals use public transportation in San Francisco to get to work (parking usually costs $30/day in many central parts of the city). Where did you hear otherwise?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulous_nobody View Post
Enough said. Don't want to offend anyone here, with drive through ATMs, drive though fast food joint, drive through drugstore, drive through Starbucks,... and we are wondering why people are getting fatter!
Very true. This morning I headed to Bank of America on Fannin St (which I had to look really hard for) and realized that they only have drive through ATMs. That is the saddest thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston