Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,339 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of moving to Houston from Oregon after I finish college next year. I have been to Houston several times so know that it is hot and humid. What I am concerned about now is my dog. My cousin had two different people at the vet today tell her that they moved from Houston because it is not a very dog friendly city. Either the heat or the city in general. Any thoughts or opinions?

Also, I have a bulldog. Does anyone have a bulldog or other dog that is "brachiocephalic" or short nosed like a bulldog, pug, shihtzu that tend to be a little more sensitive to heat than others. If they do, how do they handle the heat in Houston? My initial thought was I would just be careful when I walked him like I do here during the summer and there is AC in any house or apartment. He isn't a really active dog to begin with but likes to be outside sometimes.

It seems that Austin has similar weather as Houston and that appears to be a dog friendly city. Maybe it is more the city businesses and parks and not the weather.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tanya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 AM

381 posts, read 1,092,600 times
Houston not dog friendly?? To me, Houston seems dog obsessed compared to Austin. I was surprised to see many people owning large dogs in the Midtown area and here in Rice Military, even though these areas are very dense and there are generally no backyards in either of these areas.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I don't know what part of town your friends moved from, but I think every house around me here and when I lived in Uptown had a dog. Townhouse people too.

Their move away from Houston probably had nothing to do with a dog.....that's a little nutty. It's as hot in Austin in the summer as it is here. If you leave a dog out during the day in summer, make sure it has shade and a kiddie pool full of water.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I don't think there is a house on our block without a dog! Sun goes down, and you'll see everyone out walking their dogs, all shapes and sizes. You will have to be careful with your "bully", with the heat...but probably no more so than anywhere else.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
That is the craziest thing I have ever heard...and I have heard some crazy things about Houston. We have some of the best dog parks around, IMHO!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
I never understood the American obsession with dogs...

but if you pick a good location to live there will be plenty of opportunities to walk your dog around..

Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I never understood the American obsession with dogs...

but if you pick a good location to live there will be plenty of opportunities to walk your dog around..
You're not American?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
You're not American?
I think I am... well im not white.. im indean but I've been in America for 14 years so i think that counts.

But still I dont understand why people love dogs soo much. Good God its just a dog

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdawg8 View Post
I was thinking of moving to Houston from Oregon after I finish college next year. I have been to Houston several times so know that it is hot and humid. What I am concerned about now is my dog. My cousin had two different people at the vet today tell her that they moved from Houston because it is not a very dog friendly city. Either the heat or the city in general. Any thoughts or opinions?
I live inside the loop, about a mile from a dog park. Lots of really pampered and loved dogs in my neighborhood!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
There are many great dog parks in Houston. Millie Bush is great as well as the one in Bear Creek. Plus lots of little ones inside the loop. I think you will find this to be a VERY dog friendly city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: