U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,878,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"Dining room: chair rails/box moldings and crown molding (14x11)"

I just checked Lowes on line and just my cost for the crown molding for that one room would be $76.50...and that isn't what I would call the better molding.

I wonder how he could do it that cheap?

So much for a do it yourselfer saving money...

he must have an account with a mill work. i NEVER buy these things from lowes or home depot. they are nearly double on their mill work in some cases.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM

8,648 posts, read 16,295,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
he must have an account with a mill work. i NEVER buy these things from lowes or home depot. they are nearly double on their mill work in some cases.
I guess I need to start shopping around...LOL

Old 07-22-2009, 04:22 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,878,706 times
i prefer probuild (used to be hope lumber) or stock building supply. they will sell cash but setting up an account will get you better prices. let me know if your interested in probuild, i can get you my sales reps number. no guarantees but she is good people.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 13,353 times
One thing you should make sure the trim carpenter does when installing crown molding is to cope the joints. Many only miter the joints which leaves the very real likelyhood that the joints will eventually separate.

Coping a joint means to cut the end to match the profile of the crown, allowing it to fit exactly into the adjacent molding. The coped molding can then be cut slightly too long making the joint(s) very tight with little chance to separate. In the Houston climate wood tends to swell and contract depending on the season and should be allowed for.

If the crown is a paint grade material such as pine or similar the cost should be less since the installation is much easier. Hardwoods take more work since the wood isn't as forgiving as softwoods.

A typical 16' x 18' room (empty. nothing in the way) will usually take 1 to 2 hours to install depending on the number of splices required. This is based on four runs and no outside corners. The more outside corners, the longer it can take but no more than 4 hours max. A really good carpenter demands anywhere from $25.00 to $35.00 per hour which should include his driving time to the job. He will charge for the trip and time if required to pick up the materials. I would say it's a good idea to let the carpenter pick his materials since he is the one installing it.

Depending on the molding, it can run anywhere from $1.50 per ft. on up to over $8.00 per ft. Based on a typical 4 1/4" pine crown molding and a 16' x 18' room with 4 straight runs you are looking at approx $200.00 for installation and materials. This would not include paint. Some will offer to finish the wood after installation. You should check with your carpenter. You may find out the more expensive carpenters are actually cheaper in the long run due to their ability to turn key the job, eliminating the need to hire a painter.

It is hard to say the cost for finishing since there are so many different ways to go. On a job like this most painters will want time and materials but will be able to give you some idea as to what to expect.

Hope this helps,
Max H

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,800,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
There was a guy who did my whole street. In my house I had him do the following:

Dining room: chair rails/box moldings and crown molding (14x11)
Study: crown molding (12x13)
Master Bedroom: crown molding (17x16)
Gameroom: chair rail (20x16)

It cost me $400 for all of these rooms combined. He provided the materials. The wood was bare. He just measured the wood and put it into place. I went back later and caulked and painted it white (which was very easy to do - a little painter's tape for straight edges and glossy white paint). They look fantastic!!
good price! do you have his number.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 AM

2,480 posts, read 6,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Homes View Post
good price! do you have his number.
I'll have to see if I can track it down. It was done over 4 years ago.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM

554 posts, read 1,476,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"Dining room: chair rails/box moldings and crown molding (14x11)"

I just checked Lowes on line and just my cost for the crown molding for that one room would be $76.50...and that isn't what I would call the better molding.

I wonder how he could do it that cheap?

So much for a do it yourselfer saving money...
Bison has moulding that's alot less expensive than Lowes. I bought all of my baseboards there. I installed it myself so can't help you with recommendation though.
http://www.bisonbuilding.com/

Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 AM

95 posts, read 412,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomebuyer80 View Post
I think some of you must used external contractors or some local people to install crown molding in home.

how much do you guys think I should pay to install crown molding in 16X18 room?

I am planning to do for 5 bedrooms of average size 15X15 size. And in Dining room - chair rails extension

If you guys know any cheaper and best contact..please pm me.

I can buy the materials from Bison hardwoods or any other hardwood place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
I would love to get names of people who do great crown molding installation with decent prices as well! We are looking at buying a home that only has it in the dining room and it will drive me nutso! We will be in the Humble /Atascocita area.
We are actually doing some interior carpentry and paint work in Humble in the Atascocita South subdivision. So if you still need work done, we can help. Not sure if I can post our info on here, but we do have a profile on city data. Just trying to help. Thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,280 times
Default Prices may vary

Can't say what's the norm in Houston. But in north Alabama construction is fairly steady.
I do interior trim, and specialize in crown installs. My general labor cost is $8. per corner or per piece measured, cut, and installed. Materials vary quite a bit depending on style and quality. Of coarse stained grade is higher to install. We usually use MDF (manufactured density fiber) when it will be painted. just easier to work with and usually cheaper. Hope this helps.

Britt's Custom Trim / Crown Molding Etc. Huntsville,Al.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,280 times
lowe's and Home depot are the wrong place to buy trim. too much mark up. though the convenience may be better for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston