Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,442 times

Advertisements

I'll be checking it out when it opens, it's not far at all from me. I find the huge HEB plus to be frustrating too, they have too much overpriced junk that I would never buy at a grocery store and you have to weave your way around and through it, especially if your forgot something. I do think HEB is cheaper though, and I like not having to carry a stupid card around for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:43 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I find the super big stores exasperating to shop. When you forget something you have to walk a mile back to get it.
That's true. I almost burst into tears once at Costco when I was eight and a half months pregnant and I got to the check out line and I realized I had forgotten to pick up diapers at the back end of the store. My ankles were all swollen and I really, really, really didn't want to walk all the way to the back of the store. Fun times.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM

202 posts, read 807,282 times
OOhhh...I love HEB best of all the stores - especially the new Plus ones. I drive out of my way to go there. Their product quality is top notch - from meat/seafood market to private brands and the prices are good. And I also like all that other "stuff" they carry. I wouldn't think to buy a lot of it at a grocery store but when I do, it saves a trip elsewhere. (The furniture and bedding is out of place though) I can’t wait for the store at Buffalo Speedway and Bissonnet to open!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM

108 posts, read 231,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I will happily pay money to avoid HEB...such an unpleasant shopping experience HEB can be.
Agreed. EVERY time I've gone into a HEB, I've always seen Cockroaches or rats. Then again, it's been at night whenever I've been to a HEB - but still, those things should NOT be in a grocery store.

That's why I stick with Kroger and Wally World. Randalls only if they're running a good sale.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
EVERY time I've gone into a HEB, I've always seen Cockroaches or rats

Same here. Ten years ago I walked into an HEB store and saw so many flies on the fruit that I truly couldnt tell what fruit was what. I walked out and havent been back to an HEB since.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
The growth over in that area is amazing. There used to be nothing there except Pecan Grove.

HEB is also supposed to be building a big store further south along the Grand Pkwy, in front of the Aliana development. http://www.alianahouston.com/residential/shopping.html

Old 05-21-2009, 08:35 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoderGeek View Post
Agreed. EVERY time I've gone into a HEB, I've always seen Cockroaches or rats. Then again, it's been at night whenever I've been to a HEB - but still, those things should NOT be in a grocery store.
Blech! I haven't liked HEB because it just seemed kind of dirty and way too crowded. I never saw critters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

Same here. Ten years ago I walked into an HEB store and saw so many flies on the fruit that I truly couldnt tell what fruit was what. I walked out and haven't been back to an HEB since.
Cockroaches, rats, and flies. Lovely.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:28 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
EVERY time I've gone into a HEB, I've always seen Cockroaches or rats

Same here. Ten years ago I walked into an HEB store and saw so many flies on the fruit that I truly couldnt tell what fruit was what. I walked out and havent been back to an HEB since.
Funny. That's how I feel about the nearest Kroger here - I don't do my major shopping there. By comparison, I think the 2 HEB Markets are very nice - much, much better produce selection for one thing. The produce at the 2 Krogers I've been to up in The Woodlands is pretty lacking imo - wimpy-looking and very small selection compared to HEB.

I used to live near an HEB we termed the "ghetto HEB" but traveled an extra few miles to shop at a better HEB which served a more affluent neighborhood. Although I don't think all HEBs are equal nor are any grocery store chains - I guess it depends on the neighborhood demographics to a large extent.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
I could never get used to how close even supermarkets from the same company, like Kroger, were to each other.

We had one Krogers about a mile up the road on Eldridge and another on Highway 6 only another two miles at most.

Was this common, and is this just a Houston thing?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,729,484 times
HEB has some low quality stores in poorer areas but a nice HEB is better than a Kroger any day of the week imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston