Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 15,898 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a house in Humble area and in my search for master planned communities, I have come down to Canyon Gate @ park lakes, fall creek and summerwood.

I liked a house on Canyon Gate @ park lakes, so I would like to know more about the community as compared to the other two.

I have a 2 year old daughter who will go to daycare. I would like to know whether any daycare available in Park Lake or nearby communities.

Why is the house price cheaper in Canyon Gate?

How is the Park Lake Elementary School, Humble Middle School and Summercreek High School?

How are the surrounding areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,459 times
Have you not driven down Wilson Rd?? Canyon Lakes is right by a trailer park and just down from the dump. Beautiful homes though at great prices...hmmmm.You will not reap any investment profit by moving there. Not sure which side you are referring to. If it is the side with gated portions then you will be right behind the dump which has two more acres in which to expand. Literally right in your back yard. Also a concern for certain portions of Summerwood. Depends on who you talk to though on that one.
Fall Creek would probably be your best bet if you have already ruled out other neighborhoods such as Lakeshore and Eagle Springs. Eagle Springs being the largest of those two with two club houses and soon to be two schools. They also have two Kids R Kids. One on Timber Forest and the other on Will Clayton and West Lake Houston.
I am sure Fall Creek residents will tell you more abt what they have to offer. Homes there go well into the 1. million range as to oppose Eagle Springs and Summerwood only half a mil. They of course have Redstone which hosts the PGA but are not suppose to for much longer I do not think. They are also building a new sports complex as well. The area down there is growing but still has quite a few shady areas. We hear all the time abt theft from friends who know people there. Easy access to the Belt Way which has just begun expansion that way. Plus or negative as far as Summerwood is concerned. We consider it a negative but we do not work downtown.
Fall Creek and Summerwood are both farther away from everything which I can not deal with. I like having easy access to several grocery stores and several Targets and so on. We use to live in teh area and 7 yeras ago we built in ES because we loved all the trees. It just has a different feel from Fall Creek and Summerwood but both are nice communities. You may read abt smells from the dump but trust me there are NONE!! It does have have some air traffic noise though.
All in all youc an not go wrong I d not think in any of the three- Fall Creek, Summerwood, and Eagle Springs. Eagle Spings is almost built out so within thenext 3-5 yrs homes values I would imagine would start increasing as long as the market get sback to normal.
So all in all it is personal choice. Those who live in each will swear by each community but I can assure you they all will tell you NOT to buy in Canyon!! We are moving back in the next 6 weeks and Eagle Springs is our number one choice and then Summerwood. Fall Creek is just not the right feel for us. We keep driving thru there but it just does not speak to us but again it is all in personal choice and what you are looking for. I HATE the fact of the large apartments right in front of there and all the huge power lines. But that is just me.
Good luck and happy house hunting!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:19 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
As someone who lives up in this area, and drives Wilson Road every day...I totally 100% agree with everything that Txgal33 said. Canyone Gate does have some gorgeous homes for cheap...for a reason!! The dump entrance is 1 mile from that community, and even closer as the crow flies. Just look at Google maps on the satelite image and you will see. A well established trailer park is directly behind the elementary school. Neither of these things will do anything good for your property value. Fall Creek isn't all that far from the dump either since it's only across the Beltway from Canyon Gate.

Eagle Springs is my #1 choice, then Summerwood, then Fall Creek is a distant 3rd. I think Fall Creek is overpriced (thanks to the Shell Open gold tournaments), but if commute is a concern, then it has the best one. But you are talking only about another 15 minutes to either Summerwood or Eagle Springs. And as someone who drives from 1960/W. Lake Houston to the medical center 5 days a week, I know what I am talking about. Eagle Springs is gorgeous, and much closer to every day shopping and restaurants.

I have some reservations about Summerwood and the new Beltway. I am concerned about what kind of traffic/businesses it will bring. I am also concerned about road noise as I am fairly certain that section of the beltway will be elevated. But Eagle Springs has air traffic noise (but it's not that bad).

There's a Kids R Kids that is on the Beltway across from Fall Creek. It's owned by the same family that owns the one in Lakeshore on W. Lake Houston, the one in Eagle Springs, and the one in Kingwood. It's a terrific facility, albeit a little pricey.

Currently there isn't much grocery, shopping, stores in the Summerwood/Fall Creek area. That turns me off a little. But I know that when they finish the beltway it will come. I know that HEB has bought land near Summerwood, just not sure when it will be built.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 PM

343 posts, read 942,204 times
I agree with the above about staying away from Canyon Gate because of the dump. We are currently building a home in Fall Creek and the main reason we decided on it was location. I work in downtown and the wife to be works off of 59 and east mount. Eagle Springs and Summerwood are also both very nice communities just visit to get a feel for them.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Lots in CG are small as well.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,504 times
I recall our realtor saying that everything on the North side of the beltway, (Canyon Gate, Park Lakes, Sunset Ridge) are on the bad/wrong side of the tracks and to stay away from there. Having said that, we live in Fall Creek and I haven't had any issues with any of those communities.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 PM

27 posts, read 137,204 times
Canyon Gate at Park Lakes is a great community. Great Homes at a good price and great people live there. Every area in the Houston area is going to have some type of crime. Canyon gate is gated, i spoke with a Police Officer and he said the crime in fall Creek, Summerwood is due to the fact that they are so close to beltway 8 so it is a easier escape route. But overall the crime is low.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 19,786 times
Canyon Gate really is a beautiful community---inside park, tennis court, basketball court and numerous water fountains. I looked at homes in this area and they were nicely priced. One of my good friends lives in this subdivision--a Coventry Home. She is so extremely pleased with the area. She said that there is no bad smell from the dump and the community is very quiet; "an awesome area to raise her kids", as she states. The added benefit, she said, was the guard at the gate as there is very little traffic going through the community. She has swayed me. My husband and I are building a home in the Estates section of Canyon Gate---low $280,000s---the home has everything--6 bedrooms, media room, water property, gameroom, huge patio, etc. I am so very excited.

Excited Homebuilder

Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excited homebuilder View Post
Canyon Gate really is a beautiful community---inside park, tennis court, basketball court and numerous water fountains. I looked at homes in this area and they were nicely priced. One of my good friends lives in this subdivision--a Coventry Home. She is so extremely pleased with the area. She said that there is no bad smell from the dump and the community is very quiet; "an awesome area to raise her kids", as she states. The added benefit, she said, was the guard at the gate as there is very little traffic going through the community. She has swayed me. My husband and I are building a home in the Estates section of Canyon Gate---low $280,000s---the home has everything--6 bedrooms, media room, water property, gameroom, huge patio, etc. I am so very excited.

Excited Homebuilder
Congrats on your new home. It sounds lovely and they do have beautiful homes there but can I ask why you are spending $280s on a home where the dump is right in your back yard?? There are several more acres they have yet to exhaust and once they do it literally will be at your back door. Also what are the plans for the half finished homes there that seem to be abandoned?? I have always wondered what happens and if communities ever have plans for them.
Please don't take it as negative because like I said beautiful homes there!! Just honest questions thats all.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 19,786 times
Default Happy with my decision. . .

I realize the dump is about 3 miles behind my home but believe me when I tell you there are absolutely no indicators. You do not smell anything in the subdivision whatsoever. I love the amenities and I realize "to each his/her own"; but, I went to and researched all of the subdivisions in the area before making a final decision. And Canyon Gate met me and my family's needs. Fall Creek was beautiful but I felt a large portion of the fees went towards the golf course and other things that I am not interested in. Eagle Springs was nice but I wanted to be part of a newer subdivision, overall. I think many of the areas in Humble/Atascocita were nice but after prayer and family discussions, we felt that Canyon Gate, for us rose to the top. Thanks for your feedback though. Have a great one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston