Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM

12 posts, read 36,082 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are first-time home buyers and are closing this week...finally! We came up with a list of things we like to fix in our future house; however, I just realized how much I have to do and how much I have no idea what to do. We are new to this so I just want to make sure we get someone who's reliable (and affordable) to help us.

Our house will be in the city of Bellaire. Does anyone have any referrals for the following tasks?

-buying and installing new carpet
-refinishing hardwood
-installing a new patio door or fixing the current patio door...maybe a carpenter?
-service the A/C
-window repair/services
-tree trimmer

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
I live in an apartment and can't help you...and the very helpful folks on this forum likely haven't weighed in because they haven't opened your post. The title is so generic.

I'd change your title (or start a new thread) to something more specific to catch more eyeballs. Something like "buying first home; need recs for all home repair workers" or "Help! need carpenter, tree trimmer, A/C services, floor refinisher"

Also, did you do a forum "search" on each keyword (carpenter, tree trimmer, woodworker, etc.) to see if some of this has been covered recently? Then you
could get some recs from older threads.

Good luck and congrats on the first house!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 AM

202 posts, read 807,555 times
I asked this same question and didn't get much help. I found some good people to do various work in our neighborhood papers that get thrown every week.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 PM

12 posts, read 36,082 times
Thanks for the tip. Maybe next time i start a thread i should put lots of exclamation marks and capitalize all the letters. That will get their attention.

Some helpful people PM'ed me some numbers so I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 AM

125 posts, read 614,986 times
Main thing to do is check the BBB site. I believe there is a way to search for what you are looking for on there. One thing I noticed was missing from your list was an alarm company. On that one I can help. PM me.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM

25 posts, read 69,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weloih View Post
Our house will be in the city of Bellaire. Does anyone have any referrals for the following tasks?

-buying and installing new carpet
-refinishing hardwood
-installing a new patio door or fixing the current patio door...maybe a carpenter?
-service the A/C
-window repair/services
-tree trimmer

Thanks!!
I would ask neighbors for referrals. A lot of those business don't advertise and work solely on referrals. There are a TON of companies here in Houston that do a lot of those services.

For the A/C, I would recommend Weeks, they are based out of the Clear Lake area, but service all of Houston, they've done some work for me in the past and they are always professional and pride themselves with quality. Air Conditioning, Heating, Electrical & Refrigeration Repair, Service, & Replacement by Weeks Service Company in League City, Texas 77573

For all the little things, I'd hit up Craig's List. There are a lot of independent contractors that use this as a tool for finding work. They aren't always bonded and insured (the big negative) but they are inexpensive, especially if you pay in cash.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,526 times
jose robles he can refinish hardwood floors im telling people because i love how he left my hardwood floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston