U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 10:00 AM

129 posts, read 438,111 times

Advertisements

As I have posted in a previous post, my family is considering moving down from Ohio and we have a child that just graduated high school. Looking to move into the Sugar land area. Does anybody have any opinions on Wharton junior college.

What is the campus and surrounding area like?

What are the dorms like?

Do the classes transfer to other 4 year texas institutions?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 AM

447 posts, read 1,686,620 times
My daughter went to Wharton and lived on campus. It is a very small school, which is exactly what she needed. It is located a very small town but has amenities available like grocery stores, etc. Overall, it was a good decision for her and we have not regretted it. (Other daughter is at a big state school, which works for her and we see no real difference in the education (considering the difference in majors) Wharton allowed our daughter much smaller classes and lots of extra attention from her instructors when she needed it.

It was nice to find a small jr. college with dorms. There are several others in Texas also that offer dorms.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM

191 posts, read 733,144 times
Since you are going to be moving to the Sugar Land area, Wharton Jr. College has a campuses in Sugar Land as well as one in Richmond. The 4 year Texas (Public) Universities will take transfer hours earned at Wharton.

Another Junior College to consider is Houston Community College.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:59 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,476,716 times
Blinn in Brenham is a great jr. college with a beautiful campus.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:45 AM

Really looking for a small junior college with a dorm. Since we are coming from out of state, we are hoping it will help her make friends.
What are the dorms like?
Do they fill up fast?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:04 PM

447 posts, read 1,686,620 times
The dorms are much like any other dorms- small, okay. They have a dorm supervisor that lives there (not a student, but a real live adult!)

I don't think they fill up that fast- but you might call and see.

FYI: You do have to buy a meal ticket if you live in the dorms.

As someone mentioned, Blinn Jr. College is in Brenham and is also worth considering. It is a little larger, but it's still a small school. I think less than 1000 kids live on campus. It has more of a "college" feel, I think than Wharton, but my daughter liked Wharton better.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 PM

6,185 posts, read 10,554,761 times
Got a postcard from them on Friday announcing the opening of the new campus on the UH-Sugar Land grounds in Telfair when the first summer session starts on June 8. Checked out the new building today and it looks great! Hopefully they'll offer more classes with the new building. If I was starting college now and lived in Cinco Ranch, I'd check it out along with Cy-Fair and HCC.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM

What is Cy-fair?

Does HCC or Cy-fair have dorms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>