Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 AM

226 posts, read 893,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Speaking of likes: Make yours known here

Rate Houston! Back on the list after our efforts!

Give kudos where kudos are due!

I just voted but wasn't sure how to vote on the nightlife because for one I don't drink and I don't know how late everything stays open. Could you tell me what the nightlife is all about in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:13 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
I just voted but wasn't sure how to vote on the nightlife because for one I don't drink and I don't know how late everything stays open. Could you tell me what the nightlife is all about in Houston?
2 AM (last call) or 5 AM (after hours nightclub). In Houston nightlife is centered around Midtown, the Richmond strip, Montrose and Downtown, but in Houston, you can find a club just about anywhere... Clubs are generally open Wednesday through Sunday. I gave it like a 3, simply because it's very difficult to bar hop here (things are far away, I guess Pacific St is pretty good, but there needs to more), but I gave Boston around the same because it's damned expensive (to go home, get in, drink), you can't go out anywhere when you're 18 and house parties in Boston are much better.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 06-02-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's old school View Post
I have seen tons of Ohio plates here lately.... I met my ex-wife shortly after her family moved here from Cleveland Ohio. I can't believe how much I heard Ohio this and Ohio that......uhhh...
Ohio people just pretend to be uber cool because they're sandwiched between Chicago & New York on the Great Lakes. They can't decide if they're really Northeasterners or Midwesterners.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
I'd love to live in Houston some day. Here's what I think I would like about Houston:
1. People--diversity and friendliness
2. Hodge-podge of unique neighborhoods in the Inner Loop
3. The beautiful and looming skyline--which I wish they would expand upward as well as west toward Memorial and the West Loop.

As for dislikes...:
1. Bad traffic/rude drivers
2. High humidity during the hottest part of the year. Of course, Kentucky is pretty humid, also.
3. The lack of a cohesive, regional rail system, although this is gradually improving.

The people I've met from Houston have, in general, been quite friendly. I too am a friendly guy, so where there's a talkative (and honest, decent and hard-working) Houstonian, there I will be someday.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 PM

49 posts, read 121,404 times
2. cost of living
3. low cost of living
4. You dont need to spend too much money
5. Cheap housing
6. Even groceries are cheap
7. affordability
8. economically feasible
9. cost effective

Dislikes
1. scenery
2. concrete roads
3. mosquitoes
4. ugliness
5. lack of city planning
6. roads popping up from nowhere
7. roads to nowhere
8. brown water
9. brown ocean
10. breathing ozone every other day

Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 14,466 times
The thing I like most about Houston is that there are several interstates leading OUT of Houston.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ohio people just pretend to be uber cool because they're sandwiched between Chicago & New York on the Great Lakes. They can't decide if they're really Northeasterners or Midwesterners.
If I lived in Ohio, I'd want to leave too! Been there too many times and not once did I like it.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentexian_2000 View Post
The thing I like most about Houston is that there are several interstates leading OUT of Houston.
Just out of curiosity, which part of Kentucky are you (I presume) from? I think it's a horrible state in which to live and have yearned to get out for the last eight years. Houston, followed by Austin, Fort Worth and Los Angeles (Glendale/Burbank) are my top relocation choices.

I live in extreme Northern KY now, which is much better than the rest of the state...but it's still in Kentucky. I like the proximity to and culture of Cincinnati, which is a great city, but the Southern hospitality is still rather lacking here. Not to say that there aren't plenty of nice folks, but Cincinnati, Kentucky and the Ohio Valley general just aren't like Texas.

Oh, and the personal taxation, public schools, and horrendous government ineffiency and incompetence should embarrass Kentuckians and Ohioans alike, and we wonder why it's challenging to retain great-paying blue-collar jobs. The last great Governor Kentucky has had in terms of economic development has been Martha Layne Collins in the mid-1980s, and in terms of educational reassessment Paul Patton in the 1990s.

For my work field of choice, Texas and Southern California (although more tax-abrasive) are the best regions. Kentucky, with the exception of stagnant agriculture and coal mining industries, does not have much of a future.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 PM

211 posts, read 566,437 times
I can't think of anything I really dislike about Houston, but maybe that's because I'm working overseas and am a little homesick.

Just to add to what others have said about culture and things to do, Houston's ballet, opera, and symphony shouldn't be overlooked. They're all excellent. There are also a number of theaters scattered around town that produce a wide variety of shows throughout the fall/winter/spring. Of course, there is also the Alley Theater and the Hobby Center downtown for shows produced with larger budgets.

If you like to travel - especially internationally - Houston offers very good connections to major hubs throughout the world, which is a big plus, too.

Scott

Old 05-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Just out of curiosity, which part of Kentucky are you (I presume) from? I think it's a horrible state in which to live and have yearned to get out for the last eight years. Houston, followed by Austin, Fort Worth and Los Angeles (Glendale/Burbank) are my top relocation choices.

I live in extreme Northern KY now, which is much better than the rest of the state...but it's still in Kentucky. I like the proximity to and culture of Cincinnati, which is a great city, but the Southern hospitality is still rather lacking here. Not to say that there aren't plenty of nice folks, but Cincinnati, Kentucky and the Ohio Valley general just aren't like Texas.

Oh, and the personal taxation, public schools, and horrendous government ineffiency and incompetence should embarrass Kentuckians and Ohioans alike, and we wonder why it's challenging to retain great-paying blue-collar jobs. The last great Governor Kentucky has had in terms of economic development has been Martha Layne Collins in the mid-1980s, and in terms of educational reassessment Paul Patton in the 1990s.

For my work field of choice, Texas and Southern California (although more tax-abrasive) are the best regions. Kentucky, with the exception of stagnant agriculture and coal mining industries, does not have much of a future.
Originally from the Houston area. Just outside of Houston. I did end up returning, but only because I missed my kids and grandkids. I moved back to the Pasadena area, which is now mostly a ghetto unless you live down on the south side. After several incidents of being crime victims, we left Pasadena and now live in southeast Texas.
I did love living in Kentucky though, and hated to leave. I was in Meade County, a town called Brandenburg. The people were quite friendly, though it was pretty well known that you'd better not cross the wrong person. lol.
I'm a truck driver, so the local industry (or lack of) wasn't a problem for me. However, back at that time, I don't think the locals averaged more than probably 7 or 8 per hour if I remember right. That's pretty low, even though the cost of living was very low where I was at, at the time. Things have picked up from what I've seen on return visits though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston