Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM

226 posts, read 893,933 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to Houston because it seems like the economy is stable, and standard of living would be good. Family would be closer and it looks like there is more to do. I don't know what I would hate about it yet. My likes and dislikes may differ from others so I would like honest opinions from all. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:45 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Low cost of living
Stable economy
Near the coast
Very diverse
Good food
Plenty of shopping

Dislikes: (most common)

Lack of zoning
Humid
Flat
Sprawling
Mosquitoes
Flooding

Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Low cost of living
Stable economy
Near the coast
Very diverse
Good food
Plenty of shopping

Dislikes: (most common)

Lack of zoning
Humid
Flat
Sprawling
Mosquitoes
Flooding

I agree with all the likes on your list definitely what I had in mind.

Now as far as dislikes:

Lack of zoning not sure what to think. Guess I have to live around it to see what you mean.

Humidity I got you there. I have heard you get used to it. Some people say it doesn't bother them as much as others. I guess I'll have to live and work in it to have my own opinion.

Flat .................. just kidding I can deal with it.

Sprawling I don't like it either.

Mosquitoes Are they so bad that I have to fog my yard everyday? Is it just in certain times of the year?

Flooding It must rain a lot to have flooding and not to mention the hurricane storms must contribute much to this. My in-laws lived in Winnie and they had the big drainage ditch on their property. It must flood some areas more than others naturally.

I appreciate the post Matt and I think what I will hate the most is the Humidity, massive amount of rain, and of course the Mosquitoes. Other than that I think I will like it. I'll try to get a job that is primarily indoors.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
You are just going to see some rather odd land use combinations. There's a pinned photo topic. You may spot some.

Mosquitoes can be minimized in your yard by not allowing water to stand anywhere, and if your neighbors do the same then it will go a long way.

The Houston metro area is very sprawled out; you're not going to have to go far for most things though. One of the advantages of the lack of zoning is there are fewer barriers to having certain things like grocery stores very close to where people live. Houston is also very car-centric, but people can and do make it without driving. They tend to live close to the center of the city which is best served by the limited public transportation system - though one that's expanding.

Just about all of the biggest issues are intrinsic of any large Sun Belt and/or Gulf Coast city. The zoning thing is the main thing that is truly unique to Houston, and its status as a problem is an ongoing subject of debate.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:54 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You are just going to see some rather odd land use combinations.

The zoning thing is the main thing that is truly unique to Houston, and its status as a problem is an ongoing subject of debate.
I personally don't mind no zoning (actually I kinda like the chaotic look) but a lot of outsiders may think its strange & ugly, immediately thinking all of Houston is "ghetto". Those who have never been to Houston before & who don't know what zoning is may have a visual sensory over load their first time in the city. Things just begin to look misplaced & scattered, kinda like a bad acid trip.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-30-2009 at 03:02 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Speaking of mosquitoes, they are eating us alive at work this year. The building has been sprayed but it hasn't helped. I'll be sitting there talking with a client and we are both swatting away mosquitoes, and then one of us will be bitten. I have mosquito bites on my arms, even after putting in some sticky bug paper traps. I never thought I'd have to wear bug repellent at work!

We have a fountain and small lake outside...I'm wondering if that is why.

But, anyway, back to the list...mosquitoes and other bugs are on my "Hate" list, along with rude drivers, summer humidity, and lack of zoning. My "Love" list includes the relatively healthy economy, the affordability of the suburbs, the sunny pleasant weather from November to May, the friendly people, the museums and restaurants, the proximity to Austin and to the Gulf Coast, and the positive vibe that Houston has.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Love:
The People
The Food
The little pockets of "Hometowns" that make up the Central areas.
How easy every day things are to get to. Within a mile of home.
The Trees. This city is so green!
The Fall-Spring weather.
The suburban-style neighborhoods wedged inside urban areas.
Cost of living.
The ability to own an acre of park like space right near downtown.

Dislikes:
The sprawl of master planned communities around Houston. It's damn near impossible to get out of Houston in a reasonable amount of time anymore.
The Traffic the past 3 years. It's only going to get worse.
Transfers that hate Houston because it's not Boston, Cali, Michigan, etc.

Mosquitos are easy. Get a mosquito system. I got one from Monsgter Mosquito and it rocks. Considering I'm right by the bayou and a huge park, it was greatly needed.

ALSO, Has anyone else noticed the amount of Ohio and Michigan plates lately. WOW. i sure hope they had a job when they landed here.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Transfers that hate Houston because it's not Boston, Cali, Michigan, etc.
I'll second that. I dream of the day when they all go back to their little slices of heaven so I can get back to enjoying mine!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM

I guess I'll just take the good with the bad but it sounds like more good than bad. If I move to Houston I'll just have to take ownership and accept the good and bad.

If I don't like it I can just leave, I really don't have to complain about it, but I already know what to expect and I'm going in anyway. I can't wait to live in a city with a night life. I don't drink but it's going to be great to go out late without everything being closed up by 9 pm.

The ocean nearby is going to be great. Tons of stuff to do with my family, I have a 10 year old son and he loves Galveston. My wife will love living closer to her family and long time friends, and I will love the fishing

Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 PM

I think we will move and then find jobs but we will have to stay with in-laws for a few weeks maybe hopefully not too long before we get employed and can find a place near near to where we work. My wife has already spoke with employers over the phone and they said to call when she gets there because they want to hire her.

I found plenty of jobs for me on indeed.com and I gotta say I like Houston the most because it's easy for me to find places hiring for what I do, HVAC/Refrigeration. I also have three years in the pest control field but I don't think I want to do that in Houston.
I want to start out in a warehouse or plant maintaining refrigeration equipment and put in some college on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston