Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 29,522 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I work at Medical Center and currently live in an apartment nearby. Recently, there have been a series of robberies and car break-ins (including my car) in the area. So I decided to move to the suburb. After visiting towns like Pearland, Sugar Land and The Woodlands, I think I like The Woodlands the most. But I still have two concerns.

The first is the commuting time. I plan to take the shuttle from The Woodlands to the Medical Center. According to the bus schedule, it will take one hour and ten minutes from Research Forest to the Medical Center. I am wondering whether the bus service is reliable and what is the real commuting time. Is one hour and ten minutes a fair estimation? How often that you will stuck in the traffic and it will actually take you much longer than that?

The second one is the electricity price. My wife is currently unemployed and spends most of the time at home. We also both like to keep the room very cool, which means a lot of air conditioning in the summer. I am wondering what is the electricity price in The Woodlands. I heard from the apartment manager that the energy company there is called Entergy. Does that mean everyone must use Entergy? (I am using StarTex Power here and the price is quite low.) Also, what is the electricity price of Entergy?

Besides these two concerns, I appreciate any comments about the pros and cons of living in The Woodlands. By the way, I don't have any kid and will not buy house in the near future. So anything relating the school and the home price is not my concern right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 05:01 PM

16,655 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Whatever the energy price is today, chances are it's only going to go one way in the future.

Whatever the commute time is supposed to be it will be longer on occasions.

There's enough distance between the Woodlands and the Medical Center for something to go wrong.

Do you want to do that journey day in day out in all seasons?

Finding somewhere safer nearer to the Center is what I'd do.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:09 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
There is nowhere you can be immune from crime but if you want to move out of the city of Houston, definitely don't move out to The Woodlands to commute to the Medical Center. I would stick with Sugar Land since there are multiple ways to commute there by car or park&ride. What made you pick The Woodlands?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:29 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
No Woodlands to the TMC.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Working at the Medical Center, considering moving to the Woodlands, any suggestions?

Yes one, get your head examined.

I understand the Woodlands is beautiful and all, but you work in the Medical Center. Why put yourself through all that commuting hell when it isn't necessary?

If you want a nice suburban environment, there are other options that are not so insanely far.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:07 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
No Way I would spend an hour ten in a bus plus the extra 30 to your house. Every day? Why?
The quality of living is not so much better there than say in Alvin or Pearland or even Clear Lake. All of which are closer.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 PM

16 posts, read 43,721 times
Definitely Pearland, beautiful new homes being built all around here every day. And what ever the woodlands has, will be available in a year or so at the Waterlights dirstrict.

All my neighbors work at the Med Center.

15 minute commute.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 PM

232 posts, read 701,051 times
Hey, I liked The Woodlands too, but i didn't think that 1:30 minute commute would be worth for me...think...how much time that is a day!!! plus you have to get out and drive home after that in a car that will be baking from May-October...:smac k:

Well if it doesn't bother you...then invest in a Amazon Kindle and get a lot of books and subscriptions to pass the time...you will have it

Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
As much as I love living in this area, I would never do that commute! You will never see your wife! Maybe thats a good thing???

Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I love The Woodlands, and I love the Woodlands Express (Park-n-Ride that goes straight to TMC). People here are talking about the long commute, but it's no longer than Katy on a Park-n-Ride from door-to-door. It just seems like it because it takes longer in a car--MUCH longer. Listen, I live near Memorial and the Beltway for crying out loud, and it takes my husband an hour to get here by train and bus. Anyway--if you do make the move, choose a home in the front of the Woodlands, close to the Sawdust P&R lot, and you won't have but 5-10 minutes in your car. Creekside, Indian Springs, Panther Creek, and Grogan's Mill...even part of Cochran's Crossing--but I would stay away from Alden Bridge, Sterling Ridge, etc. that are in the back.

Now, if you opt out of the Woodlands, totally understandable, but I wouldn't go for Pearland--I'd go with Sienna Plantation and take the toll road in, if you can budget it (with parking it can get expensive). It's kinda tough to get out of SP in the mornings, but I think they are looking into ways to fix that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston